Author Topic: Counting Down to the End of....Downton Abbey  (Read 244704 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Have you been watching … (Julian Fellowes's) Downton Abbey?
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »
Guess what? All this talk about Downton Abbey here and elsewhere on the net had me curious and I bought the first season on DVD (doesn't run on TV here).

We've seen the first four episodes so far. Well, it's a soap opera, no way around it. But a good one.
They had me hooked in episode three, when they finished off the Turkish ambassador. I didn't see that one coming! :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Have you been watching … (Julian Fellowes's) Downton Abbey?
« Reply #121 on: February 29, 2012, 12:22:44 am »
Glad you are enjoying it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/jimmy-fallons-downton-abbey-parody-is-still-genius.html

Jimmy Fallon's
Downton Abbey  Parody
Is Still Genius

By Andre Tartar
Today at 2:06 AM

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vcAWEQmzQC4[/youtube]

Tonight the brilliant minds over at Late Night With Jimmy Fallon  aired the second of their award-deserving 'Downton Sixbey' shorts — and we thought we'd have to wait until September for our Downton fix! A.D. Miles' scowling Dowager Countess once again did Dame Maggie Smith proud. Butler Higgins got in his "upstairs people" versus "downstairs people" rant and ran the clock by dragging around his iron foot some more. Fred Armisen 's Lady Edith was as hauntingly intense as ever—plus DRUMS! And best of all, the future Lord "Quite Bushy" Questlove brought his mother to sup: the regal Lady "Bitch Please" Whoopi. Ah, 'Downton Sixbey'! You really are the faux-English drama we were craving.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

And an earlier 'episode'...
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEabHQWntg&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
Published on Apr 12, 2012 by latenight

Please note: not 'Lady Edith', it's Lady He -dith (and yes, Fred Armisen is genius).

"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration

What a hoot! Genius is right, these parodies are pure genius.  :laugh:
I like them more than the original (but of course you have to know the original to get it).

Tonight the brilliant minds over at Late Night With Jimmy Fallon  aired the second of their award-deserving 'Downton Sixbey' shorts — and we thought we'd have to wait until September for our Downton fix! A.D. Miles' scowling Dowager Countess once again did Dame Maggie Smith proud. Butler Higgins got in his "upstairs people" versus "downstairs people" rant and ran the clock by dragging around his iron foot some more. Fred Armisen 's Lady Edith was as hauntingly intense as ever—plus DRUMS! And best of all, the future Lord "Quite Bushy" Questlove brought his mother to sup: the regal Lady "Bitch Please" Whoopi. Ah, 'Downton Sixbey'! You really are the faux-English drama we were craving.

Yes, yes and yes to everything.  :)

Thanks for sharing, John. I wouldn't even know it existed otherwise.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
         i seem to remember the name the first time was   DOWNTON 6 B.eey
because they were using studio 6 B 

I have been watching them.  I think they are hilarious.  i don't think they are better, than the original, but they are great.

I especially liked the looks that his wife (Brooke Shields) gave everyone at the most shocking happenings.  She was really funny too.
There really is nothing better, than a great parody.

Beautiful mind

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Just (finally) watched Downton Abbey Season 1 DVD (from my library, as I don't have cable or broadcast TV), and remembered I had seen a thread here on BM long ago talking all about Julian Fellowes's Downton Abbey.  Spent the last 20 minutes searching every way to Sunday trying to find the old thread when it finally occurred to me to look at this thread about the parody, and saw that it was actually the original thread, but the title had been changed.  Very frustrating when titles of threads get changed mid-stream, no offense to whoever did it.  Just don't seem right...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Spike TV's "Downton Abbey" critique.  Funny!  ;D

http://vimeo.com/36265794
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!

Spike TV's "Downton Abbey" critique.  Funny!  ;D

http://vimeo.com/36265794

"--about a buncha honkies who live in a church (or a museum) without wifi, with three daughters: Hot, Way Hot, and the other one."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Have you been watching Dark Knight Downton Abbey Rising???
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2012, 12:44:48 am »

http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/bane-mask-makes-any-villain-look-scarier.html?imw=Y

See How a Bane Mask
Makes Any Villain Look Scarier

By Marisa Woocher
7/25/12 at 12:45 PM

O’Brien, Downton Abbey

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Camping Out"