Author Topic: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?  (Read 14967 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 12:44:33 pm »
Flash,

You HAVE to get the widescreen....  don't you?   :)

Yes, Flash.  You HAVE to.  Remember, friends don't let friends buy fullscreen.  Or vote Republican.
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 01:05:45 pm »
Flash,

You HAVE to get the widescreen....  don't you?   :)

rt

I actually bought the full screen..wanted to see every bit of them.. I went 1:00 this morning to Walmart and bought 8 copies.. 2 for me and 5 for various friends and 1 sister.  The girl looked at me like I had a third eye.  Some people just don't appreciate fine art...sigh
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 01:18:38 pm »
Can we discuss widescreen versus full screen? I always feel if I watch movies widescreen I'm going to miss a lot, because there IS that huge block of black at the top and bottom. But I've heard people say the opposite is true. Anyone?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 01:27:43 pm »
Can we discuss widescreen versus full screen? I always feel if I watch movies widescreen I'm going to miss a lot, because there IS that huge block of black at the top and bottom. But I've heard people say the opposite is true. Anyone?

Actually, by watching fullscreen, you're missing both sides of the entire frame as the cinematographer/director shot it.  That's what that message at the beginning means that says, "This film has been modified from its orignal version - it has been formatted to fit your screen."  They cut off the two sides to make a square, basically, and you're only seeing the very center of the shot magnified.  I do understand how the bars can be a distraction and how if your TV's not that big, it seems to make the picture too small.

I used to only watch fullscreen because I just wanted the biggest picture I could get.  But watching masterpieces like 2001: A Space Odyssey and this one that way is gonna make you miss significant parts of the shot.  Just my $0.02 (and then some, I know.  ;))
No more beans!

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 01:40:04 pm »
I bought it at Target bright and early this morning and it was supposed to have the CD of the audio book inside but it didn't!

I feel like an ass taking it back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....   ???
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 01:46:38 pm »
I just went into Target this morning. Pretty uneventful. Apparently Universal packaged the DVD for Target especially to include an audio CD of the short story. It sells (for now) for $16.99.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

rtprod

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »
Hi Sparkle--

You have it completely backwards and many people feel the same as you.  Though it's a personal preference, I implore you NOT to buy fullscreen.  You are missing a good chunk of the film frame and vision of the director.  Please see this link immediately to see the difference in picture and loss:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/index.html

Witih fullscreen, a hack technician who transfers the film from DVD employs a damaging process called "pan and scan" to fit a rectangular movie ratio into a square TV ratio, deciding which portions of the frame you should look at and then moving the scan around the actual film frame to "show" you what you should see.  Oh, and in the process he arbitrarily "chops" the edges off the picture too.  All sense of Rodrigo Prieto's balance and composition will go out the window (if you can even see the window in BBM's final scene, that is).  Get the widescreen version and deal with the image, a bit smaller if you have a standard TV, but complete, as it is meant to be seen.  Anything else is blasphemous.  

If someone who bought the fullscreen version could watch and then describe the final scene of the movie, I would love it ---- I imagine that there would have to be a superfluous pan and scan movement added to get to Ennis' window, but I'm not sure.  Since the film is not in any extra wide format like 2.35:1, it won't be as damaging as it has been in other films. 

BBM ratio: 1.85:1
Standard TV screen ratio: 4:3
Widescreen TV ratio: 1.78:1 (16x9)

If you have a widescreen TV, the widescreen enhanced film will fit perfectly with no black bars.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:01:08 pm by rtprod »

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:09 pm »
I bought it at Target bright and early this morning and it was supposed to have the CD of the audio book inside but it didn't!

I feel like an ass taking it back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....   ???

I think you have to look for the packaging with a sticker that says "TARGET EXCLUSIVE - FREE AUDIO CD INSIDE".
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 01:57:47 pm »
I got mine and put this on another thread, but I'll repost here.  AND, I just have to say that Best Buy in Canada ain't giving away sh!t with the dvd - they did the same with Jarhead - no dogtags here :(

So, I am currently watching "On Being a Cowboy" - I finally have my very own copy of the dvd!  And, just to let everyone know, those who thought that the Canadian cover would be different, which I didn't think would happen, it's true.  We have that cover with the picture of the Oscar on the front.  I was so excited when I saw it on the shelf that I grabbed the first copy I reached and went to the cash.  I realized at the last minute that I had grabbed the Fullscreen edition - horror!  I exchanged it before paying.  And the woman who sold it to me asked if I had seen it in the theater, and I had to suppress a laugh and just said "yeah".  She asked if I liked it and I told her it was the best movie of 2005 and probably my favourite movie ever.  I didn't tell her that I was officially insane though.

Oh my.  I just saw footage of Jake riding a mechanical bull.  I may have to rewind that!

Edit:  I forgot to mention that after I told her my opinion she said that she was definitely going to buy a copy b/c she'd heard so many good things and I had just convinced her of it.  So yay!  Another sale of BBM thanks to my motormouth.  :)
   Cowboys do it better

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 02:01:01 pm »
Wow, interesting link. That's a considerable amount of image we don't get to see with fullscreen.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.