Author Topic: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?  (Read 15119 times)

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Re: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2006, 08:00:11 pm »
Barb...Oh my...wait til the next block party and see if she mentions any fishing trips again...

Isn't this neat?  I've never bought more than one copy of a DVD before, much less donated a copy to a library. It's just another example of the wonderful inspiration this movie has engendered.

I may follow your example and keep one of my copies as a "lender".

:)

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07:58 pm »
Good job Paul, you're a very devoted Brokie ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:15:33 pm by EnnisDelMar »

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:53 pm »
Thanks Brandon...
and hey, don't you owe me something?

>:D
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 08:16:23 pm »
Hmmmm..... ;D

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 08:56:08 pm »
Hey Brokies! God I miss you guys!!!!!!! I only posted like, 2 things today so far. I was at work and feeling like I had to actually do something productive or walk around with my tail between my legs all day for slippin' off to see you all every chance I get! ('fraid I'll get shot by Lureen or the husband each time, too).

So! Here's my two little stories to share. Both of 'em had me grinning on the way home. I redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough. (well, the subway couldn't get me here fast enough, let's put it that way.  :))

I was doing a little errand at a craft store in Tribeca (a neighborhood in lower Manhattan) for the necklace-making I am doing for some of y'all, and I walked out onto the street, and these two guys, maybe three, a little more rough than refined-looking, are walking in the opposite direction from me. One of them hits the other one on the arm and says, kinda animated-like, "Oh, Brokeback Mountain comes out today, that's what they were celebrating."

I hear this as they are passing me, and I turn around after them and I go,"Whoohooo!!" And then I got all curious and said, "What do you mean, celebrating? What are you talking about?" (cause I had obviously missed seeing what they were talking about) and the one guy looks back and points to his buddy, and I realized they weren't going to tell me, so i just said, "You should see it if you haven't yet!" and they kind of smiled at me. We had about 40 feet of space between us by then, nothin to do but keep walkin.

THEN, as I was doing some other errands in Brooklyn before heading home, I decided to check in at the local Blockbuster, where I have my copy of the Station Agent still checked out. After making sure I didn't owe it to them yet, I said, how're the rentals going for Brokeback Mountain so far today? Have you rented it much yet?" and the guy looks in the direction of the shelves they are on and says, "Oh man, they're goin' like crazy!"

I go "Yessss! That's awesome!" and told them to have a good night. Walked outta there with a huge smile on my face.

It's a good day for the world! Brokeback is spreading like wildfire across the land and will soon be known to the masses who were too afraid to see it before. Just think, as I write this, thousands and thousands of people, maybe even a million people, are sitting in their living rooms right now watching this story for the first time, in the privacy and comfort of their homes. Crying their eyes out, or about to. It warms my heart considerably.

And I love Paul's and Barb's stories! Go, Brokeback Activists, Go!!

Jenny

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:58:44 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2006, 10:05:39 pm »
Since I am off Mondays, I plotted to use my "breaks" to drive about 30 minutes rt to Best Buy @ 10 am when they open. 

I get to work, and my boss has scheduled 2 meetings for me; 9:30am & 10:00am!!!  I go to her office & said, politiely, "You have messed up my morning."  I explained why, she agreed to reschedule the meetings to 11:00 - 12:00 AND asked me to buy her a copy of Brokeback (she never went to the theater)!  Then I am talking to two married male co-workers who also did not see it in the theater AND both had it on rental order & were hoping it would be there today.  (One Blockbuster & one Netflix). 

So, I was at Best Buy @ 10am (actually 9:56am), bought three movies & got three of the books! YAY!  One for me; one for my boss & one for my son (who rated it 5 out of 5 on Netflix - I took him for his birthday).  Price was $16.99 + tax.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:19:35 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2006, 11:50:07 pm »
<snip>I'm going a little bit nuts because Boxoffice mojo isn't tracking BBM during the week anymore, just shows up there like Thursday or something and i want to see it make 83,000,000.00  still!  It's close, like 82,850,000.00 or something. But it's only pulling in like 25,000 a day or less.
I think they keep tallying the gross to include DVD sales.  When EW does their weekly video charts, it looks like that.  I'm surprised EW didn't review it last week, they usually do that before the DVD comes out.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 12:08:06 am »
Hi Juan!

Thanks.  BBM is still in theaters though and still making money, but Focus has stopped posting daily figures. They'll post weekly or bi weekly figures which BoxOfficeMojo will put up.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 12:10:06 am »
Thursday is the last day it's gonna be here in theatres then it's gone for good..unless they re-release it.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 12:18:39 am »
Is that for your area Brandon, or that's it period here in North America?

:'(
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar