Author Topic: Alaska; Petersburg, Wrangell or Ketchikan?  (Read 6198 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Alaska; Petersburg, Wrangell or Ketchikan?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »
Just watched a movie partially based in that area last night...Into the Wild. Whatever you do, don't eat the red berries!!

:P
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:25 pm »
Just watched a movie partially based in that area last night...Into the Wild. Whatever you do, don't eat the red berries!!

I´ll write that down 8)

The bus in which he died has apparantly become somewhat of a tourist attraction for hikers.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »

Or the yellow snow.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 04:35:39 pm »
You might also consider Sitka; it's one of the more scenic areas of the Southeast.  Actually, all of SE Alaska is scenic as far as I know.  If you do go to Ketchikan, be sure to take rain gear!  It's in a rain forest.

The site of the events in Into the Wild is on the mainland near Denali National Park; pretty far from the Southeast.  I read the book and seem to recall that what he actually ate was wild potato seeds.  The poison was a particularly lethal type that prevents the body from absorbing nutrients: it would take skilled medical care to remover from it so someone in that position off in the middle of nowhere wouldn't have much of a chance.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 04:45:39 pm »
You might also consider Sitka; it's one of the more scenic areas of the Southeast.  Actually, all of SE Alaska is scenic as far as I know.  If you do go to Ketchikan, be sure to take rain gear!  It's in a rain forest.

The site of the events in Into the Wild is on the mainland near Denali National Park; pretty far from the Southeast.  I read the book and seem to recall that what he actually ate was wild potato seeds.  The poison was a particularly lethal type that prevents the body from absorbing nutrients: it would take skilled medical care to remover from it so someone in that position off in the middle of nowhere wouldn't have much of a chance.
Hi, Marge.The plan is to get on the ferry in Skagway and then make three stops before getting off for good in Prince Rupert, BC.
Juneau, Sitka and then Ketchikan, Wrangell or Petersburg. Maybe it doesn´t matter much which town I pick, like you wrote, they all seem pretty scenic.

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 04:11:28 am »
Since you mentioned Petersburg AK, you might like to stop there as it has a tie in to Into the Wild. John Krakauer interrupts his story about the tragic life of Chris McCandless  to go on a tangent of his own period of self discovery - similar to McCandless's . He details his attempt at a solo ascent of 'The Devil's Thumb' a mountain peak visible from Petersburg.

Definitely read the book and see the film. I've enjoyed every one of Krakauer's books. I'm getting ready for my first trip to Alaska and Petersburg is a priority stop. As is a trip  to see bus 142 out near Healy Alaska.