615,982 Posts in 14,787 Topics by 2,768 Residents
Latest Member: vnszbjzn
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2019, 08:58:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Login Register
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Our BetterMost Community  |  The Polling Place (Moderator: David In Indy)  |  Topic: What do you put in your Irish corned beef? 0 Residents and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you put in your Irish corned beef?  (Read 10731 times)
Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!
The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

"He somebody you cowboy'd with?"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 04:24:12 pm »

Cabbage is just nasty. 

Cabbage is very good for you. It's enabled the Ukrainians to withstand centuries of domination by the Russians.

Or so some Ukrainian acquaintances tell me.

Since they're both hunks, I'm inclined to believe what they say about the virtues of cabbage.  Grin

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.
Lynne
BetterMost Supporter
BetterMost Moderator
BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club

"The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »

Cabbage seems to be good for digestion. I like it, but love Brussels sprouts. Smiley

"La▀ sein. La▀ sein."
Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »

I love Brussels sprouts. Smiley

Me, too!  Cheesy

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.
southendmd
BetterMost Supporter!
BetterMost Moderator

well, I won't

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 08:45:14 pm »

A Yankee who doesn't like a "boiled dinnah"?  Shocked

Grin

Next you'll be telling us you don't like B&M baked beans and brown bread, in which case we'll have to send Leslie after you.  Grin

I'm thankful my mother never served boiled dinnah to us.  The smell of cabbage would not be allowed in her kitchen!

However, we did have B&M baked beans and brown bread out of the can every Saturday night.  Some things are sacred!

Although I dislike cabbage, I do like brussel sprouts.  I know, they're just like baby cabbages.  It depends on how you cook 'em.  Steamed, they're awfully cabbage-like.  But, sliced thin and sautÚed on very high heat, they're heavenly.  Or, even better, deep fried, as Lynne can attest, as our local joint serves 'em. 

photobucket sucks
Lynne
BetterMost Supporter
BetterMost Moderator
BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club

"The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:54:12 pm »

I'm thankful my mother never served boiled dinnah to us.  The smell of cabbage would not be allowed in her kitchen!

However, we did have B&M baked beans and brown bread out of the can every Saturday night.  Some things are sacred!

Although I dislike cabbage, I do like brussel sprouts.  I know, they're just like baby cabbages.  It depends on how you cook 'em.  Steamed, they're awfully cabbage-like.  But, sliced thin and sautÚed on very high heat, they're heavenly.  Or, even better, deep fried, as Lynne can attest, as our local joint serves 'em. 

The sprouts at your place were pretty amazing; I'm not sure whose I like better...I broil them and toss them with pesto, myself.

And although I like the baked beans just fine, I've never had the dubious pleasure of brown bread in a can.  I think I'll keep it that way.   Roll Eyes

"La▀ sein. La▀ sein."
Meryl
BetterMost Supporter
BetterMost Moderator

There's no reins on this one....

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »

I vaguely remember having brown bread out of a can.  Our family's ethnic dishes weren't many, but once in awhile my mom made "Welsh rarebit", which consisted of cheese sauce (probably made with Velveeta) served over saltines.  You can't get much more trashy American processed than that.  Grin

Ich bin ein Brokie...
southendmd
BetterMost Supporter!
BetterMost Moderator

well, I won't

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »

I vaguely remember having brown bread out of a can.  Our family's ethnic dishes weren't many, but once in awhile my mom made "Welsh rarebit", which consisted of cheese sauce (probably made with Velveeta) served over saltines.  You can't get much more trashy American processed than that.  Grin

Ooh, Velveeta on saltines.  Yum.

We used to call it Welsh Rabbit.  When made with cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and beer, served over toast, it's actually pretty good.

photobucket sucks
Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »

And although I like the baked beans just fine, I've never had the dubious pleasure of brown bread in a can.  I think I'll keep it that way.   Roll Eyes

Seriously, you should try it. It's really quite good, kind of more like cake than bread, or so it seems to me. It comes with raisins or without. I've never had it with raisins. The "without" is very "molasses-y."

Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:16 pm »

laugh

Meryl
BetterMost Supporter
BetterMost Moderator

There's no reins on this one....

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »

We thought so.  Somehow those other ingredients didn't filter down through the generations.  Grin

Ich bin ein Brokie...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Our BetterMost Community  |  The Polling Place (Moderator: David In Indy)  |  Topic: What do you put in your Irish corned beef? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1
Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1

Help keep this site operating by donating.

Web bettermost.net
Image courtesy of 'AuroraLucis'

No more beans.  I'm sick of beans.