Author Topic: What do you put in your Irish corned beef?  (Read 34760 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: What do you put in your Irish corned beef?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 09:48:55 am »
We thought so.  Somehow those other ingredients didn't filter down through the generations.  ;D

I'm sure! Hey, I come from people for whom Velveeta was the sine qua non of haute cuisine.  ;D

(Here at work my buddy from Massachusetts is absolutely shocked that Paul doesn't like "boiled dinnah."  ;D )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 09:49:58 am »
Maybe the best thing to put in corned beef and cabbage would be a whole lot of Jameson's. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 11:49:12 am »
(Here at work my buddy from Massachusetts is absolutely shocked that Paul doesn't like "boiled dinnah."  ;D )

Tell your buddy that boiled dinnah is wicked gross.

Maybe the best thing to put in corned beef and cabbage would be a whole lot of Jameson's. ...  ;D

Or just drown it in Guiness.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »
If cabbage smells, you don't know how to cook it properly.   It shouldn't.   Like a lot of cuisine, it was being overcooked.  :)   I love cabbage, brussels sprouts and broccoli, and they are all extremely good for you, the same family of vegetables, I think.

Home cooking enjoyed being in vogue for quite awhile (they would jazz it up with trendier seasonings and vegetables, et voila!), and for me it still does.   I always thought corned beef and cabbage was it's own thing - the traditional "boiled dinner" was pork spareribs or a pork shoulder I think.   At least it was in our house (my grandmother was from Nova Scotia).  Corned beef and cabbage isn't a traditional Irish meal, but I believe when immigrants came to this country, beef was more plentiful, and they when they became more prosperous, they adapted the new ingredients they had here into their recipes.

I don't eat meat anymore (I may have a taste), but my Japanese-American husband makes corned beef and cabbage like nobody's business - the best (his father taught him.  We think there are Ohara's somewhere in the family line).   We just follow the package directions - add the cabbage, red bliss potatoes, carrots, onion at the appropriate times, and that's it!   Maybe add a bay leaf or throw in a few peppercorns.  We serve it with a good mustard and/or horseradish, and slices of soda bread (with caraway seeds and raisins in it).   And this year, a Belhaven Ale.   Cheers, and enjoy!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:10:19 pm by Marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »
Tell your buddy that boiled dinnah is wicked gross.

Maybe the problem isn't "boiled dinnah" but the way your mother cooked it.

The traditional "boiled dinner" was pork spareribs or a pork shoulder I think.

My buddy said her mother always used pork shoulder.

Cabbage is very good for you. Captain Cook carried a supply of sauerkraut on his voyages of exploration and never lost a man to scurvy.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 12:33:56 pm »
Maybe the problem isn't "boiled dinnah" but the way your mother cooked it.

My mother never cooked it in her life!

Guess what my work cafeteria is serving today?  Boiled dinnah!  I could smell it two floors down.  

I had a salad.  At least it's green.  :)

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 12:34:26 pm »
:)

Thanks for the smiles and laughs, we really need it.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 01:07:09 pm »
Thanks for the input, everyone. In making my corned beef, I ended up cheating. I augmented the little packet of spices with Old Bay Seasoning. It has most of the same spices as in the recipes. I just love what it does for seafood, as well as the scent of my bay tree growing in my sunroom. Occasionally I take a leaf off the tree and start chewing it. Didn't there used to be a chewing gum that had bay flavoring?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 01:54:08 pm »
My mother never cooked it in her life!

Guess what my work cafeteria is serving today?  Boiled dinnah!  I could smell it two floors down.  

I had a salad.  At least it's green.  :)

I did, too. But then I have a salad for lunch every day.  :-\

Not that it's doing me any good, weight-wise. ...  :(

Anyway, my buddy says boiled dinnah is wikkid pissah!  ;D

Thanks for the input, everyone. In making my corned beef, I ended up cheating. I augmented the little packet of spices with Old Bay Seasoning. It has most of the same spices as in the recipes. I just love what it does for seafood, as well as the scent of my bay tree growing in my sunroom. Occasionally I take a leaf off the tree and start chewing it. Didn't there used to be a chewing gum that had bay flavoring?

Bay leaves come from a tree? For reals?  :o

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »
Bay leaves come from a tree? For reals?  :o

From the bay laurel tree (Laurus nobilis):