Author Topic: What do you put in your Irish corned beef?  (Read 34746 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What do you put in your Irish corned beef?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »
Yep, I always get a funny vision when someone talks about resting on his laurels!! The tree in my sunroom is not QUITE that tall...The ancients would crown their athletes with a wreath of bay leaves, so that's where the phrase about laurels comes from.

Meanwhile I was just reading about another ingredient, garlic, in today's Wall Street Journal. Apparently a variety called porcelain garlic grows well in the Scottish Highlands.

Read all about it: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703386704576186450016912660.html

Paul, I am not surprised that you don't like corned beef and cabbage, because you don't like mint and I like mint. I'm sure there are lots of things we like in common though...lobsters and seafood in general, and those wonderful dry Manhattans that I can't enjoy until Lent is over!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »
That picture of the bay laurel is gorgeous.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 07:44:06 pm »
Tell your buddy that boiled dinnah is wicked gross.

Or just drown it in Guiness.

:laugh: 8) :laugh:

We had dinnah tonight by accident at a bar, where - of course - everyone was having their St. Paddy's Day fun - corned beef and cabbage was even the special.  We refrained, had some beer and wings and split a pizza...but...

STEP DANCERS!!!

What was a fun surprise!  And now I know how to get thin thighs and a tight tummy.   ::)  (Like that's ever gonna happen!)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 01:08:16 pm »
I suppose this is cheating but I ended up putting in some Old Bay Seasoning. It has celery, mustard, bay, pepper, cloves allspice, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and traces of other things. It seemed to work well...my mother, who's very finicky, said it was the best corned beef she's had this season!!

Now, on to meat loaf...
"chewing gum and duct tape"