Author Topic: Mason Dixon, by B73  (Read 13168 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Mason Dixon, by B73
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 04:43:27 pm »
But the end is so..joyful...

It sounds like some folks were misled by this commentary.

Readers please be advised:   "Mason Dixon" is NOT a happy ending story!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 02:51:16 am »
It's the reincarnation thing that is joyful, not the lives of that particular Ennis and Jack...sorry if I made you all think I am an idiot; I'm not.

However, some people seem to have this non-fact firmly fixed in their minds...

Hey--anyone read "Rusted Pipe" yet?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 03:10:19 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 10:01:40 pm »
Yes I sobbed too--but the deaths of the protagonists is NOT the end of the story:

This is the end of the story:

There are some things which can never be divided; like the land that runs from the North to the South (sic) of our country, the land falsely demarcated by the Mason Dixon line but yet will always be one, just as it always has been, long before the invisible line had been drawn; had always been that way and always would be until the end of time.

The Civil War was not the first time the principals of our story had come together, nor would it be the last.  Sometimes the reunion was joyful and serene, sometimes not.; this time in the fields of war in the East; that time,  in the buffalo plains  of the Midwest; the next time, perhaps, on a mountain peak in the Big Horns; and so on.

The grass does remember the lives of those who fell upon it; what remembers too is a stream bank in Georgia where, over a century ago the reunion of that which cannot be separated had occurred; and here and there, across the land, the memory does linger like grave markers within the soil and the roots of the meeting of two souls which which, when brought together at last restore balance in the universe, and, for a while, all is right in the world."

Now if that is not flat out joyous, I don't know what is.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 10:16:08 pm »
Yes I sobbed too--but the deaths of the protagonists is NOT the end of the story:

This is the end of the story:

There are some things which can never be divided; like the land that runs from the North to the South (sic) of our country, the land falsely demarcated by the Mason Dixon line but yet will always be one, just as it always has been, long before the invisible line had been drawn; had always been that way and always would be until the end of time.

The Civil War was not the first time the principals of our story had come together, nor would it be the last.  Sometimes the reunion was joyful and serene, sometimes not.; this time in the fields of war in the East; that time,  in the buffalo plains  of the Midwest; the next time, perhaps, on a mountain peak in the Big Horns; and so on.

The grass does remember the lives of those who fell upon it; what remembers too is a stream bank in Georgia where, over a century ago the reunion of that which cannot be separated had occurred; and here and there, across the land, the memory does linger like grave markers within the soil and the roots of the meeting of two souls which which, when brought together at last restore balance in the universe, and, for a while, all is right in the world."

Now if that is not flat out joyous, I don't know what is.

thanks for posting that, that is some very very beautiful writing... I've been meaning to reread the entire story so this was nice.  :D

Joyous is still not really the word I would use... hopeful maybe? I'm not sure. The ending (not the deaths but the section you quoted, I understood that you meant this part) is bittersweet for me. Beautiful, but not joyous, IMO.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline t_wistfulheart

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "Do I really mean that much to him?"
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 10:30:50 pm »
The next step would be to read Maggie's story entitled Portrait of a Farmer - and it's second part intitled Unseasonable Storm.  If you liked ending of Mason Dixon that was posted on here, then some elements in Unseasonable Storm will have very special meaning for you.   :)

http://b73.livejournal.com/?skip=20  Links to Portrait of a Farmer chapters can be found there.
http://b73.livejournal.com/  And links to Unseasonable Storm on her current LJ page.

Don't miss these!  Heck, don't miss any of Maggie's stories.  BUT... these are especially good in conjunction with Mason Dixon.

Karen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 10:39:14 pm »
...and don't forget "Rusted Pipe." That one--has a happyy endiing (in the conventional sense).

The suidden sense that all the stopries are TRUE struck me as joyous--perhaps not the best word. Sometimes joyous, sometimes not...

Assuming Maggie doesn't want to write them all, I've started one mywself, set in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1949...

Offline t_wistfulheart

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 10:52:29 pm »
...and don't forget "Rusted Pipe." That one--has a happyy endiing (in the conventional sense).

I didn't forget that one.  In fact, I think I've read nearly all of her stuff now.  I was mainly referencing Portrait of a Farmer and Unseasonable storm, because those two relate to Mason Dixon.  The Ennis and Jack in those stories have kind of a dream-memory of their lives in Mason Dixon. I was trying not to say too much, so as not to ruin it for folks who want to read it as it evolves.  Unseasonable Storm is where it really starts to happen (Portrait comes first but is fairly short). 

I love the thread through her stories showing that these guys have loved each other again and again throughout many different times and situations.  She does that a lot with her Union Pacific/Signal Crossing/Catch the Westbound series.  Jack and Ennis had dreams off and on through their lives - of living a life up on a mountain.  Something they eventually realize they have in common.  Lovely imagery.  This series is still in progress. 

Speaking of imagery.  There's great imagery in Rusted Pipe, isn't there?  Symbology of the mountain - there toward the end of the story?  Hmm... think I may need to read it again.  It's not fresh enough in my mind.

And since we're tossing more titles into this thread, her other new story Lake Geneva is wonderful.  More "light-hearted" as she puts it than her others.  Jack and Ennis are very distant cousins who end up spending the summer together.  Teenagers.  She so beautifully takes us along - watching their friendship develop.  It's just yummy.

Karen

mvansand76

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 08:31:34 am »
And since we're tossing more titles into this thread, her other new story Lake Geneva is wonderful.  More "light-hearted" as she puts it than her others.  Jack and Ennis are very distant cousins who end up spending the summer together.  Teenagers.  She so beautifully takes us along - watching their friendship develop.  It's just yummy.

Hey, that's such a coincidence, I just spent my vacation at Lake Geneva, Switserland! Do you have link for the story? By the way, welcome to bettermost!  ;)

Offline t_wistfulheart

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 11:56:12 pm »
Hey, that's such a coincidence, I just spent my vacation at Lake Geneva, Switserland! Do you have link for the story? By the way, welcome to bettermost!  ;)

Her current LJ page has links to all chapters of Lake Geneva.  It's at chapter 8 right now, but Maggie writes FAST.  It's not unusual to get one or two chapters per day.  I usually check before I go to lunch to see if there's a new chapter to read.
http://b73.livejournal.com/

This Lake Geneva, however, is in Wisconsin.  ;)

And thanks for the welcome!  :)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 12:16:43 am »
thank you so much for recommending Portrait of a Farmer and Unseasonable Storm... I just finished the last chapter she's posted and they are both so beautiful, i don't even have words right now. This is some seriously good writing!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73