Author Topic: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - And What Came After  (Read 316464 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - And What Came After
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:22:35 am »
It will take place very early here on the west side of the pond, but I'll definately get my ass up to watch it!

What about you? Are you going to watch it too? :)

They are a very cute couple, aren't they? 8) 8)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:26:10 am by Meryl »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - Will You Be Watching?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:03:49 am »
I will be travelling by train from Frankfurt to Paris but hopefully I will see reruns in my hotel in Paris.  I did not get an invite  >:(so decided to go to Paris and not London.  London is on the itinerary for late May instead. :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:14:30 am »
My answer is "Probably not", even though I guess it will be at a convenient time for me.

Honestly, I'm not too much interested. But on the other side, I watched Diana and Charles' wedding many years ago (was more or less 'forced' to it, because my friend's foster-mother watched it and we were in the same room). I also watched bits and pieces of Diana's funeral. Her death was really a kind of "Kennedy moment" - you know, a certain point in time, a landmark that everybody would remember for their whole life.

So, it clearly is a big current event, and maybe I'll watch parts because of that. But my revolutionary heart says this wedding shouldn't be of any importance, the concept of monarchy is so outdated that everybody should boycott it.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:39:08 am »
No. Living in a monarchy myself, I´m extremely tired of hearing about royalties.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:09:59 am »
I said, "No." I would like to; I'll be especially interested to hear what music they use. But if it's broadcast live "over here," and I guess it will be, I'm guessing it will probably be while I'm getting ready for work/going to work/at work--and it isn't important enough to me to take vacation time to watch it. I imagine it will be rebroadcast, too, but I just don't know if I will have the time to watch it--unless there isn't anything else good on TV at the time.  ;D

I suppose my principal reason for wanting to watch would be to "bookend," since I watched Wills' parents' wedding; I was in graduate school at the time.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:21:06 am »
When is the wedding, and what time will it happen here?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:17 am »
What wedding?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 11:23:18 am »
When is the wedding, and what time will it happen here?

It's two weeks from today, Friday, April 29, but I have no idea what time it will be "over here." Probably some time in the morning; I remember Charles and Diana's wedding was broadcast "over here" in the morning.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:14:52 pm »
I remember getting up in the middle of the night back in July '81 to watch Charles and Di get married.  Was a 15-year-old Anglophile, and my parents thought I was insane when they heard me turn on the TV at 3 am and plop myself down in front of it.  Back in those ancient days, TV's were pieces of furniture that lived on the floor, ha-ha.  I was entranced by the gallantry of all of it.  But the monarchy is just not the same as it was back then.  It's lost its magic.  Seemed to disappear, at least for me, when Diana lost her life in '97.

So, no, I won't be watching.

Although I hope Diana will be...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:19:07 pm »
I remember getting up in the middle of the night back in July '81 to watch Charles and Di get married.  Was a 15-year-old Anglophile, and my parents thought I was insane when they heard me turn on the TV at 3 am and plop myself down in front of it.  Back in those ancient days, TV's were pieces of furniture that lived on the floor, ha-ha.  I was entranced by the gallantry of all of it.  But the monarchy is just not the same as it was back then.  It's lost its magic.  Seemed to disappear, at least for me, when Diana lost her life in '97.

So, no, I won't be watching.

Although I hope Diana will be...

Mine was a B&W portable!  :laugh: