Author Topic: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - And What Came After  (Read 316429 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - Will You Be Watching?
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2011, 10:29:27 am »

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:54 am »
That was probably no accident Jeff.....a subtle way to bring the memory of Diana into the service from the beginning.

Oh, I'm sure it was no accident. I'm just curious whether it was done as a nod to Diana, or perhaps the hymn is just a family favorite (it's one of my favorites, too). I'm inclined to think it was the deliberate nod. And it does fascinate me that the hymn that ended Diana's funeral was the first one sung at the wedding of her eldest son.

And yes, Beatrix and Eugenie obviously got tips from their mother on what to wear.

:laugh:  :-X

And I couldn't help but wonder, what Charles, Camilla, Andrew and Anne were thinking, when the words "let no man put asunder" were mentioned in the wedding vows. Seems to be a mockery to the family that is head of the Church of England.

I sort of thought that, too, especially when the archbishop bound the hands of the bride and groom.  :-\

But all that aside.....today was about William and Kate, young and in love who will show 'em all how to do it right.

I think so, too.  :)

Tell you what, I had an "aha" kind of moment after the service was over and they were riding back to the palace in the carriage. I looked up at the TV just as the camera caught Wills with his head tilted slightly forward, but his eyes looking upward and to the side, and an almost shy smile on his face, and I thought, "Just like his mother."

The choir was outstanding, but I do wonder why there are no girls in it, in fact the whole church faculty is a real boys club.

That's the Church of England for you. It isn't that long that the CofE has had women clergy (the American Episcopal Church has had them for 40-odd years now), and they're still in conflict over accepting women as bishops. I imagine all-boy choirs are just a tradition they're hanging on to.

I'd never heard Rowan Williams, the archbishop of Canterbury, speak before, so I was glad to hear him preach the sermon. One commentator for the US Today show--a Brit, no less--called Williams the bishop of London!  :laugh:

Ya gotta give Anglicans credit for it: They give good weddings and good funerals!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
And for John.. here you go!

Oh, dear. That getup makes Becks look like a refugee from a road company of My Fair Lady.  :-\

Anybody know what the medal is that he's wearing? Is it "for real"?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2011, 12:30:07 pm »
Oh well. After not having any intention to watch it, to my plans of checking in, I ended up watching the whole weddding (who would've thought? ::)).
I didn't watch the building up, but my daughter called me when the goom arrived and we watched together from there. We had so much fun together!

I loved the wedding gown, and I liked the Queen's bright yellow color.

But boy, William will soon be bald! :o
My daughter and I both commented what an unattractive man he is, hair or no hair. (Apologies to David. As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

We'd rather take the redheaded riding instructor's son( ;)), who always seems to have a mischief twinkle in his eyes. He seems to have a good sense of humor.

I never understood why people are so hateful towards Camilla. And I think she's not only not ugly, but even quite an attractive woman.

Anyway, it was a fun way to spend a Friday and I wish all the best to the newlyweds. May they be a happier match than Charles and Diana were.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »
I never saw so many oddments perched on women's foreheads!  That's entertainment.  ;D  I was kind of partial to Camilla's big gossamer donut of a hat.  8)

Yeah, we loved all the headdresses, too.
Someone already mentioned a satellite dish, that was the exact same thing we said. :laugh:

Someone else also mentioned Beckham's wife (Victoria?) and her misery expression. I think I've never seen a pic of her laughing. Maybe she's too cool for it, she appears very arrogant. ::) :P

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2011, 01:15:47 pm »
Someone else also mentioned Beckham's wife (Victoria?) and her misery expression. I think I've never seen a pic of her laughing. Maybe she's too cool for it, she appears very arrogant. ::) :P

Yes, Victoria "Post Spice" Beckham. Maybe she's just hungry. She looks like someone should give her a ham and cheese sandwich, or something.  8)

William, unfortunately, is turning into his father as he gets older.  :(  He has the same longish face of his father and his grandfather, Prince Philip. Harry (that red-headed hottie  ;D ), on the other hand, has a face shaped more like his mother's face. I don't think William is particularly handsome, either, though I wouldn't--yet--call him "unattractive." But great happiness must make a difference, because I sure thought he looked handsome today, especially when he smiled (and it wasn't just the uniform).

I thought I heard one commentator say that Harry had to ride back to Buckingham Palace with the little kids.  :laugh:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2011, 01:39:59 pm »
I think overall that William got more good looks than plain looks from his parents.  All the men in that family are follicly challenged, but at least they have the good taste to avoid comb-overs!  The best things about William are his kind, intelligent eyes and his mother's smile.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2011, 01:47:23 pm »

I think perhaps starving herself every day (even when she was pregnant) for the last 30 years, might have something to do with that neverending miserable scowl on her face.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2011, 01:58:19 pm »
I think overall that William got more good looks than plain looks from his parents.  All the men in that family are follicly challenged, but at least they have the good taste to avoid comb-overs!  The best things about William are his kind, intelligent eyes and his mother's smile.  :)

I agree, 'hunnerd percent. He does have kind eyes.  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2011, 01:59:30 pm »
I think perhaps starving herself every day (even when she was pregnant) for the last 30 years, might have something to do with that neverending miserable scowl on her face.

Yup! Like I said, give that poor woman a ham and cheese sandwich.  ;D