Author Topic: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - And What Came After  (Read 316461 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - Will You Be Watching?
« Reply #300 on: July 10, 2011, 08:59:54 pm »

[youtube=425,350]
[/youtube]
:)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2011, 06:35:22 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/10/philip-treacy-milliner-interview

Philip Treacy:
'I like hats that make the heart beat faster'

The milliner to the stars talks about the royal wedding,
Isabella Blow and Lady Gaga wanting an internship…

By Kate Kellaway
The Observer
Sunday 10 July 2011

Philip Treacy: ‘We’ll look back and think Princess Beatrice looked wild.’
Photograph: Jonathan Player/Rex Features

You are collaborating with Tate Liverpool to curate Conversation Pieces, about art that has inspired you. How much has painting influenced your hat-making?

Totally – you need to know about the past to work in the future. I like futurism but I also love exquisite, beautiful things. We are all art historians. Tate wanted me to curate an exhibition from their archive – but I stretched it a bit. I would go to someone's house and ask: can I borrow that? And I'd leave with a £1m Damien Hirst that looked like black sugar and turned out to be black flies in a frame. I love Damien Hirst. And Andy Warhol. And I have some personal pieces in the show, too, like an 1850s sleigh from Russia that I bought from Sotheby's – it is my Ferrari – with old Russian shoes in the back of it.

How many painted hats are in the show?

None – but there are three photos of hats. [He points to a black-and-white Stephen Meisel photograph of Isabella Blow, his great friend, model and muse, who killed herself in 2007. She is wearing a horsehair helmet.] Meisel made her look incredible – like a 1920s Lartigue. Isabella belonged to the 20s – we were lucky to have her in the 21st century. When have you ever heard of someone in the fashion business having a heart? She was fun, unbureaucratic, generous. And she had a good heart. She introduced me to everything I know.

You must miss her…

Yes – every day. She invented me. We were like Bill and Bert. I made the hats, she wore them…

And didn't she have one of your hats on her coffin?

A pheasant hat. Isabella believed a good funeral is like a great wedding. But when you go, you go. You only go once. She loved this pheasant. She said: "I want to be buried in it." So we buried her in it…

Does a person carry off a hat or a hat carry off a person?

A person carries off the hat. Hats are about emotion. It is all about how it makes you feel. I like hats that make the heart beat faster.

Were you hurt by the rude things said about the hat you designed for Princess Beatrice at the royal wedding (turkey twizzler, lavatory seat, pretzel)?

I felt hurt for her. She is only 22 and there was a little bit of bullying going on. I didn't give a fuck about 140,000 bloggers. In the future, we'll look back and think she looked wild.

Is a hat's design dictated by a person's character?

Of course – Princess Beatrice is Queen Victoria's great, great, great, great granddaughter and looks like Queen Victoria. I thought of her as a beautiful, exotic, Victorian doll. I thought I was making a hat with a bow on it.

The wedding was the Philip Treacy show with more than 30 of your hats - what did you think of the wedding?

I hadn't slept for three days but it was incredible – a populist moment of emotion. I couldn't be more Irish but I celebrate Britishness through hats. When I met the Queen, at a design evening at Buckingham Palace, she asked: "What do you do?" "I make hats, ma'am." She said: "Am I the only person who wears a hat these days?" And I said: "Ma'am, you have kept hats alive in the imagination of people all over the world." When you meet the Queen, you are not supposed to ask questions. But I thought: what the hell. So I looked her in the eye and said: "Ma'am, do you enjoy wearing hats?" And she stood back and said: "It is part of the uniform."

You were famous for your dog, the late Mr Pig. You wouldn't be without a Jack Russell, would you?

Jack Russells are the most interesting "people". Now I have Archie and TJ. I bought this miniature Jack Russell and called him Tiny James. But he started unexpectedly to grow and grow and now looks like a goat. He's gorgeous.

Is it true Lady Gaga wants to do an internship with you?

She plans to. She's already visited me. This is what happened: one Monday morning, four burly bodyguards arrived – Lady Gaga's security team – to check out the security of the building. I looked at them as if to say: what?! Who is going to take a pot shot at Lady Gaga? Anyway, she is young, talented and peculiar – which I like. The Brit awards were the next night and she said to her people (I loved this): "Can somebody buy me some brown underwear for tomorrow?"

Let us go to the village of Ahascragh in County Galway where you were born and, aged six, started sewing. What did you sew?

At home, I had seven brothers, one sister. I sewed clothes for my sister's dolls although she was grown and gone away. I was a weirdo but didn't think I was a weirdo…

Did you know, as a child, you were gay?

Of course. You know. It is nature not nurture.

The Irish have got something special. What is it?

Romance. I love the romance of what I do, although because of Isabella, Lady Gaga and Grace Jones, people think I have crazy customers. Sometimes I get more enthusiasm from the housewife who wants a hat and believes in it.

But you get enthusiasm from the stars too…

A couple of years ago, I got a phone call: would Mr Treacy make a hatpin for Elizabeth Taylor? I said: "Might Miss Taylor like a hat to go with the hatpin?" and the answer was: yes. I went to see her at the Dorchester. I didn't know whether I was going to be dealing with a very tricky person but she was a sweetheart. I thought it would be entertaining to do a hat show on her in her room – because, after all, she is an old lady. I tried 25 hats on her. She kept saying: "Which hat can I have"? And at the end I said: "You can have them all." I gave her 25 hats. She said: "I must do something for you in return." But I'd got my return just by hanging out with her.

And you just did the hats for Kate Moss's wedding…

For her mother and mother-in-law. Kate Moss's hair is her hat. I love Kate Moss. Fashion is about illusion and Kate is a brilliant illusionist. People think these people are nightmares but she has goodness – as does David Beckham. We read bullshit about people. My favourite thing about my job is that I get to make up my own mind. "Monsters" often turn out to be the nicest people.

Conversation Pieces, co-curated by Philip Treacy, is at Tate Liverpool from Friday until 19 August

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »
Thank you, this was very entertaining!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
The Royal Wedding--er, Birthing!--of William and Kate - Will You Be Watching?
« Reply #303 on: December 03, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/12/03/kate_middleton_is_pregnant.html

Everyone Freak Out:
Kate Middleton Is Pregnant!

By Josh Voorhees
Posted Monday, Dec. 3, 2012, at 11:12 AM ET

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is presented with a bouquet of flowers by Jamie Andrew,
aged 7, during her visit to Peterborough City Hospital on November 28, 2012

Prince William and Kate Middleton (or Duchess Catherine, as she is now known in circles that we are clearly not part of) are expecting their first child, the Royal Palace announced Monday.

Tabloids on both sides of the Atlantic had been speculating for the past few weeks that the Duchess was pregnant, but the official confirmation is likely to launch the latest media frenzy around everyone's favorite royal couple.

Here's an early sampling of the apparently earth-shaking news, from the BBC:

And ABC News:

To the Daily Mail :

And TMZ:

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2012, 01:38:20 pm »
Ha!  I vote for "I'm royally knocked up" as my favorite.  I'm glad for them, but just hope the pregnancy goes smoothly.  It'll be hard enough on them as it is.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #305 on: December 03, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »
I honestly cannot understand why they are referrring to her as Kate MIDDLETON.....that was her name BEFORE she married Prince William
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #306 on: December 03, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »
I honestly cannot understand why they are referrring to her as Kate MIDDLETON.....that was her name BEFORE she married Prince William.

Maybe because "Duchess of Cambridge" makes her sound 80 years old?  ;)

And why on earth should anyone freak out because she's pregnant?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #307 on: December 04, 2012, 02:06:55 am »
... And all I'm thinking is: did she have to undergo medical testing before the wedding? You know, like some insurance companies require health tests/fitness tests before giving you a contract. Did the palace make sure she'll one day carry the next generation, is fit enough to take all the traveling and such?
I'm such a romantic!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #308 on: December 04, 2012, 02:30:21 am »
Maybe because "Duchess of Cambridge" makes her sound 80 years old?  ;)

And why on earth should anyone freak out because she's pregnant?  ???

To Royalists its a very big deal....the forthcoming birth of maybe a new king or queen....and of course something to fill the magazines.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #309 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:19 am »
... And all I'm thinking is: did she have to undergo medical testing before the wedding? You know, like some insurance companies require health tests/fitness tests before giving you a contract. Did the palace make sure she'll one day carry the next generation, is fit enough to take all the traveling and such?
I'm such a romantic!

I've been in my job entirely too long. Yesterday, as soon as I heard that the duchess was suffering from "excessive morning sickness," the first thing that popped into my head was "hyperemesis gravidarum."

Sure enough, that's what they're calling it on this morning's news shows in the U.S.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.