Author Topic: Canadian elections 2011 - fallouts  (Read 15844 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Canadian elections 2011 - fallouts
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »
It now appears, with only 3 days left before the election, that the Conservatives will not get their desired majority.

The third place party (vote wise, in previous elections) has shot up in the polls surpassing the faltering Liberals and are now poised to garner a larger block of seats than the Liberals did in the last parliament.

In reality, though few people are committing to this idea at this point, I believe it's a real possibility that even though the Conservatives end up with the most seats, they will not succeed in forming a functional government and the New Democratic Party (NDP) are likely to combine forces with the Liberals to form a functional government for the next few years. In the recent past, the two left wing parties did not have (combined) enough seats to form a majority, seeing as the seperatist party (Bloc Québecois) held the third largest number of seats.

The most recent seat projection (based on regional breakdowns of polls, March 27 stats) has the Conservatives holding 135 - 142 seats, the NDP 97 -107, the Liberals 51 - 66, and the Bloc (BQ) 4 to 14. (thus giving a NDP/Liberal coalition 148 to 173 seats, well within the 155 seats required for a majority.)

http://www.electionalmanac.com/canada/projections.php

And the NDP numbers (currently 30% of votes to 35% for the Conservatives) have done nothing but rise in the past 3 weeks; they might even increase enough to catch up with the Conservatives by election day, May 2
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:07:05 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: Canadian elections - May 2, 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:05:25 am »
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:19:33 am »
Almanac's latest seat projections:

Conservatives: 133 to 145 seats
NDP:               104 to 108 seats
Liberals:           44 to 61 seats
BQ:                    6 to 15 seats

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »
And a further update:

Conservatives: 134 to 144 seats
NDP:               101 to 125 seats
Liberals:           31 to 67 seats
BQ:                    6 to 8 seats

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »
This atheist has been praying that the repulsive Conservatives don't get their much wanted majority.  Harper's government has been the most opaque, non-accountable, anti-democratic and dishonest in all of Canadian history.  He ruined the country's reputation so much so that I'm actually ashamed to say I'm Canadian.  I spit on him and his little dog too, lol!

Find out why I hate Harper so much:
http://shitharperdid.ca.nyud.net/

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:43:46 am »
Guess this means you won't be voting Conservative tomorrow, hun? Me neither .... but then, being franco-ontarien, I never have.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:26:28 am »

Good luck, Canadians/Canadiens/Canadiennes!

These three would love  to go on a road trip together again, I just know it....

Former U.S. President George W. Bush, former Mexican President Vicente Fox and
Stephen Harper, right, at the Chichen-Itza archaeological ruins in 2006

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 10:16:29 am »

Good luck, Canadians/Canadiens/Canadiennes!

These three would love  to go on a road trip together again, I just know it....

Former U.S. President George W. Bush, former Mexican President Vicente Fox and
Stephen Harper, right, at the Chichen-Itza archaeological ruins in 2006

You mean a speaking toor, right? Well former Canadian Prime Ministers don't usually do that kinda stuff - though Harper ain't exactly the run-of-the-mill PM and I wouldn't be surprized that when he does retire from Parliament Hill, he may chart a course similar to American ex-Presidents ... he's Sooo enamoured in everything American.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:27:15 pm by Sheriff Roland »

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:18 am »

You mean a speaking toor, right? Well former Canadian Prime Ministers don't usually do that kinda stuff - though Harper ain't exactly the run-of-the-mill PM and I wouldn't be surprized that when he does retire from Parliament Hill, he may chart a course similar to American ex-Presidents ... he's Sooo enamoured in everything American.

That too--but first he needs to be "formered" to be the Former Prime Minister Harper!

Again, good luck/bonne chance, y'all!

http://www.680news.com/royal-wedding/article/219323--prime-minister-harper-gets-up-early-to-watch-royal-wedding

MONTREAL -- There are few things that can distract a ramped-up politician in the dying days of an election campaign. 

A royal wedding is one.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper may be regretting his decision to skip today's lavish nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton in London.

Instead, he and his wife joined the many Canadians who rose at the crack of dawn to watch the pomp and pageantry on T-V.

From his hotel suite in Montreal, Harper recalled watching another royal wedding -- likely Prince Charles and Lady Diana -- while in university.

His wife Laureen offered some running commentary as they waited for the newlyweds to emerge from the balcony of Buckingham Palace -- remarking how pretty the bride looked.

After William and Kate kissed -- twice -- Harper stood to make a toast to what he called ``a once in a generation event.''

He added he and his wife were a little bit sorry they weren't there -- and then after looking at his wife, added -- ``more than a little bit.''
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:44:58 am »
Been trying to make some sense of the new Canadian reality resulting from this week's election.

What will be the worse case scenario of a Conservative majority government led by Steven Harper? Are gay marriage rights in jeopardy? What about the Woman's right to choose? And just how much pay-per-use medicare will be introduced? Is a return of the death penalty (50 years after it was abolished) a possibility? How many newly appointed federal judges will change the interpretation of the Charter of Rights? In the past 5 years, with a Conservative minority, Harper has already appointed enough Conservative Senators to defeat two bills passed in the lower house (the upper chamber is, like the Monarchy, merely symbolic in Canada), how much more damage will be done to our parliamentary system under a Conservative majority?

Harper's already declared (post election) there would be no radical changes in Ottawa. But if he's basing this assessment on the idea that Canada needs more jails, more fighter jets, even lower corporate taxes (all things introduced in the last budget before it's rejection brought down the government and caused this last election), and that it's normal to lie to Parliament (Harper was formally repremanded by the Speaker of the House for contempt of Parliament, a first in Canadian history) or simply progogue it when it (Parliament) doesn't agree with him (as he's done twice in the last 3 years - again a first and a second), then I guess the gradual moving of Canada on a right wing agenda is already well on it's way.

There are five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

I'm not sure how far I've progressed in my personal development as a result of this week's event, but I'm fairly certain it's not acceptance.

By the way, for those who haven't heard