Author Topic: This year's secret Dîner en Blanc in New York is...???  (Read 49213 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/08/diner-en-blanc-photos.html#

What You Missed at
Last Night’s Dîner en Blanc

By: Jenny Miller
8/26/11 at 11:15 AM

After a day of annoyance amid thoughts of muddy shoes and the need to procure a "white, clear, or tan umbrella," Grub Street got the call with Dîner en Blanc's secret location precisely at 6 p.m. When we arrived at the World Financial Center's "winter garden," set against the harbor with a backdrop of bobbing yachts, we were happier than we thought we'd be to see rows of linen-swathed tables, branded white balloons, and 1,150 attendees clad in achromatic attire. It actually felt like a New York we'd never seen: jauntier, old-fashioned-looking. Dare we say, more French?

Though organizer Sandy Safi did admit that the weather yesterday had been "intensely concerning," she was ultimately not surprised that le dîner had been spared la pluie. "Twenty-three years and not a drop," she said of the white-dinner tradition, which began in Paris as a gathering of friends and has spread to Montreal, Quebec City, and this year, New York.

As a band played and the masts of the (conveniently color-coordinated) boats swayed against the sunset, ordinary New Yorkers happened by: jogging, pushing strollers, riding delivery bicycles. One woman, dressed in black, snapped a photo of the bright white spectacle as guests adorned with turbans, cloches, and all manner of headwear (not required, but quite popular) dug into baskets of food and bottles of wine they'd either brought or preordered. Across the way, there were the beer-y masses drinking outside of P.J. Clarke's, which was fine with Dîner's attendees and organizers. After all, what's a spectacle without spectators? Speaking of which, feel free to do a little gazing of your own in our slideshow.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

And a week earlier, à Montréal:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi6EsS1PWks[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Now that's the way to hold a picnic! How swanky.

How marvelous.  Too bad, John, you look so good in white!

Agreed!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
It looks amazing!

I've never heard of the event before. Thanks for posting, John!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
It does look amazing.  They picked a good location for the New York event.  The sunset over the marina is beautiful.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

The secret Dîner en Blanc 2012 in New York comes to...Lincoln Center!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 04:11:56 pm »

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/08/21/photos-a-white-out-at-lincoln-center/

Photos:
A White-Out at Lincoln Center

August 21, 2012, 10:57 AM ET

Thousands of diners attended the event, which began in France in 1988.

Diners danced after finishing their meals.

LINCOLN CENTER — It was the best-dressed flash mob New York has ever seen.

The second-annual Dîner en Blanc  descended on the plaza at Lincoln Center last night, bringing with it more than 3,000 diners clad in white from head to toe.

The event, touted as a "mysterious and refined," started in France and has taken place in 22 cities across five continents. Organized by social media and old fashioned word-of-mouth, last year's event in New York — which attracted about 1,200 people to the World Financial Center — drew over 30,000 on its waiting list, organizers said.

It's a bit of an adventure for diners, as the outdoor site is revealed at the last minute and they are expected to arrive in groups of 250 — dressed entirely in white and equipped with tables, chairs, table linens, china, crystal, silver and a gourmet dinner.

"Camping Out"

Re: The secret Dîner en Blanc 2012 in New York comes to...Lincoln Center!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

http://gothamist.com/2012/08/21/photos_diner_en_blanc_1.php#photo-1

Photos:
Thousands Wearing White
Occupy Lincoln Center
For Dîner En Blanc

By Christopher Robbins
August 21, 2012 3:54 PM

Last night 3,400 people clad in white had 30 minutes to travel to the Lincoln Center so that they could dine outside for New York's second Dîner En Blanc.  But what sets this event apart from pantless displays of conformity and the countless cloying, "spontaneous," gatherings of fun the city has to offer? "This is just more elegant, certainly more European, and the fact that nobody knew what was happening 30 minutes ago just makes it feel more special," co-organizer Gilles Amsallem said. "Also, I don't know anyone who has pulled something of this scale off in three weeks." Three weeks? Didn't they have a year? "Our original space cancelled about three weeks ago, so we had no choice but to make it work here."

We pressed Amsallem to tell us where the initial space was, especially since the Lincoln Center location struck us as a tad obvious. "I don't want to mention them, but I will say that we are very grateful to the city to help us along the way. We had to talk with the liquor authority, the fire marshal, the MTA, everyone—they all helped us get it done."

Amsallem added, "The toughest part about doing an event like this in New York City is the liquor. Everyone has to wait to buy their wine, which is a shame." While attendees brought their own food, alcohol had to be purchased in accordance with the SLA's regulations—everyone who wanted booze was required to buy it from licensed concessions.

This was confirmed by diner Kathy Meehan, who was hustling towards the serpentine line inside the Lincoln Center. "It takes an hour to get a bottle of wine. It's great otherwise; I'd just rather not wait that long for my alcohol." Some diners snuck their own in with their picnics, but at least those waiting weren't gouged: the cheapest bottle was $18, and the most expensive topped out at $31.

Couples seated next to the speakers cringed when Céline Dion's "That's The Way It Is" blared at levels unsuitable for conversation, but the same guests kicked their shoes off minutes later when the house began playing St. Germain with a violin accompaniment.

If the Lincoln Center seemed a shade You've Got Mail,  the guests didn't seem to mind. "This is excellent, this is perfect," said Haleigh Ciel, who was with her boyfriend Martin Viau. "There are just so many different people, so many different ages—there's literally every type of person here." Viau said the couple attended last year's inaugural Dîner En Blanc  with a larger group, but it proved too much of a "hassle" to coordinate.

"It's kind of stressful, not knowing where you're eating or bringing all your stuff until 30 minutes beforehand," Viau said. "But once you get here and set up, you cool off, you relax. Part of that is the setting, I mean, look at this."

"Camping Out"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 05:22:46 pm »
It would be great fun to attend one of these white dinners.

Love the pictures.

Thanks, John.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 05:32:05 pm »

It would be great fun to attend one of these white dinners.

Love the pictures.

Thanks, John.

Thanks, Sonja!

:)

"Camping Out"

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57497066/diner-en-blanc-takes-new-york-city/

CBS NEWS VIDEO
Dîner en blanc  
takes New York City

August 21, 2012 9:28 AM

Click for video:

(CBS News) More than 3,000 people dressed entirely in white overtook the courtyard of New York City's Lincoln Center for five hours last night for quite an unusual social event. Part flash-mob, part-dinner party, not even the guests knew where this exclusive event would take place until an hour before it began.

The event, known as Dîner en Blanc,  originated in Paris in 1988 and has seen significant growth internationally, particularly in the age of social media. New York's first Dîner en Blanc  took place last year at the World Financial Center in Manhattan's Battery Park.

"After New York, the buzz was worldwide," event organizer Sandy Safi told "CBS This Morning," in a report that aired Tuesday.

This year, events are scheduled in more than 22 cities on five continents.

"The guests are very involved in the event," Safi said. Guests can sign up online and pay $25 to attend. Monday night, most brought their own food, utensils and tables and chairs. But first, diners met at points across the city to find out the exact location. Each group was assigned a leader who led the way to the secret location. Only about 20 production staffers and 100 volunteers were necessary to orchestrate the event.

After enjoying dinner Monday night, guests hit the dance floor before heading home after what Safi deemed another successful Dîner en Blanc.

"I feel fantastic," she said, "I feel that everybody had a good time."

"Camping Out"