Author Topic: Happy Christmas!  (Read 167436 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Happy Christmas!
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2013, 03:26:43 pm »
Guess what? The cat killed my beloved Christmas lights.
He gnawed through one of the wires. Damn you, Cäsar! >:(

But yay for Jens instead! He put an insulation screw joint (luster terminal?) between the cut off parts - and now it works again! :D So now I have an old, beloved and patched chain of lights. But that's okay. As long as it still works and it's safe. 8)
I do hope it is safe. A young family here in Dunedin lost their house a few nights ago because they left the Christmas tree lights on all night and it shorted out. Fortunately they had their smoke alarms working but the dog also began barking (just before the alarm went off). The husband ran and got the baby and its cot caught alight. No matter how much you love your Christmas lights, I would throw them out and buy new ones before next year.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2013, 03:32:58 pm »

Here's another
Christmas Message--
from whistleblower
Edward Snowden
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGgsLkiQdk[/youtube]
Although it's only
1:41 long, this
German TV station
is one of only three versions that aren't cut and interlarded with lots of inane or outright hostile commentary I have seen so far (the other two are Britain's Channel 4, the original message, and, strangely enough, the Mirror --click here and you can see the actual video (WochenschauTV was only able to show still images) which the audio:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:58:47 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline brianr

« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2013, 06:30:52 pm »
The version on our TV was intercut but not hostile. Although in NZ it came from ABC (?) which was not the Australian Broadcasting Commission (Australia's government station which is always balanced and often critical of the government) as the accent was American.

Offline brianr

« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2013, 06:53:40 pm »
I only have one family member, my sister. I have not even received cards this year from the 2 cousins who usually send. One, in her late 80's has been in a mental hospital. My sister does keep in touch with her, mainly trying to keep the peace between her and her daughter, certainly not her long suffering daughter's fault.
The other, actually a 2nd cousin younger than me, I have only seen once, at her father's funeral in 2006, in over 20 years. She is quite poor and may not be able to afford the international postage.
Our family never believed in Christmas presents once we were adults so I have not received a Christmas present for 40 years and we also gave up birthday presents over 20 years ago. I would rather occasionally buy my sister something she needs as a surprise and she does the same for me.

If my sister goes before me (God forbid but she does turn 80 next year), I will not keep in contact with my brother-in-law. He is quite homophobic but we tolerate each other for my sister's sake.
I did think of having a sandwich at home by myself.  I cannot cook. However I am glad I joined 7 others for a rather expensive lunch in a garden restaurant. However it was raining all day so we just ran quickly through the garden. The others were only occasional acquaintances, 3 are over 90,  and we went back to one's home for coffee afterwards. I drove one lady and I know her best as she is in my walking group every Tuesday but not one of my closest. My best friends here, mainly widows, were all busy with their grandchildren.

The religious side of Christmas is most important to me but Easter is more important. I will be back in Sydney for next Easter and I will be at services Thursday night, much of Friday and Sunday morning.

Today, Boxing Day, it is continuing to rain but I am not going near the sales. I may buy some necessary clothing tomorrow or Monday. I went to the movies on Christmas Eve but have several others I want to see but will avoid the crowds on a wet public holiday.
I thought of doing some housework but so far I have just upgraded my Mac to Mavericks which was a bit frightening but thankfully it was successful.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2013, 06:54:50 pm »
Evening Bettermost Friends!

;D

Mom decided to get me some joke gifts for Christmas, so it was a Grumpy cat kind of Christmas.

The family mostly celebrated on Christmas Eve. We went to my Brother and Sister-In-Law's place for dinner.   We exchanged gifts and had a good evening.

Today was low key.   Lunch at my parents' place, some more gifts exchanged, and then came home for a nap.  :laugh:

Making some dinner now, and then bed at my usual time.  Work tomorrow for me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2014, 07:45:44 pm »

Merry Christmas
and a Happy New Year!!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_Cat

Yule Cat
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Yule Cat (Icelandic: Jólakötturinn or Jólaköttur) is a monster from Icelandic folklore, a huge and vicious cat said to lurk about the snowy countryside during Christmastime and eat people who have not received any new clothes to wear before Christmas Eve. [1] The Yule Cat has become associated with other figures from Icelandic folklore as the house pet of the giantess Grýla and her sons, the Yule Lads. [2]

The threat of being eaten by the Yule Cat was used by farmers as an incentive for their workers to finish processing the autumn wool before Christmas. The ones who took part in the work would be rewarded with new clothes, but those who did not would get nothing and thus would be preyed upon by the monstrous cat. The cat has alternatively been interpreted as merely eating away the food of ones without new clothes during Christmas feasts. [1] The perception of the Yule Cat as a man-eating beast was partly popularized by the poet Jóhannes úr Kötlum in his poem Jólakötturinn. [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_Lads

http://www.iceland.is/images/the-icelandic-yule-lads.jpg
http://www.iceland.is/the-big-picture/news/celebrating-christmas-with-13-trolls/7916/

"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2014, 09:38:57 am »

Lovely to hear about your Christmas stories. Sounds like you all had a great time. Brian with his sister in the lovely south of Australia. looking forward to boxing day. 😉 Chuck stuck between Grumpy or His mum. Who shall I choose? John seems to dream a about exotic places, where it snow all year around.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2014, 02:18:57 pm »
Merry Christmas to all! :D

For us, the first two days of Christmas are over. On Christmas Eve we went to church, had a long and yummy dinner and then presents. I got a travel-guide for Sweden from Jens and a beautiful cowboy picture from my kids.

Today we spent the whole day at Jens' parents. Good thing we still have my old car in the family (it's Hannah's now). It seats seven people, respectively the six of us plus the dog in her crate. Came back today evening, stuffed, tired and happy. :)
As soon as we were home we switched into PJs resp. jogging pants. Nothing better than letting your hair down and lounging on the couch. :laugh:

Tomorrow is the third and last day of Christmas and we'll visit my part of family. This is always the moment when I must play Chris Rea on the Autobahn: Driving home for Christmas, I can't wait to see those faces,... get my feet on holy ground.... with a thousand memories...
That's exactly it. :)

Offline brianr

« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2014, 03:46:17 pm »
I have some understanding of the German Christmas. My sister's closest friend (was her bridesmaid over 50 years ago) is German although they lived in Lithuania before the war and came to Australia in the 40's.  She has 3 younger brothers, one lives with her and one has moved back to Germany. The youngest is very wealthy and lives near her and is very good to her.  She has Christmas eve for the whole family at her place, very traditional German and she is keen that the family keeps up traditions.
Then Christmas day is at her youngest brother's home and is more Australian (his wife is actually from NZ originally)
Today it has become customaryl since I have been returning to Sydney for Christmas that my sister and I to go to her place for lunch. The food is a mixture of German and Lithuanian, leftovers from Christmas Eve.