Author Topic: WIDOWER FOR ONE YEAR by 271 horses - Great fic  (Read 24823 times)

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
WIDOWER FOR ONE YEAR by 271 horses - Great fic
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:54:13 pm »
I have been lurking here for a long time, and I read just about every fanfic that is published it seems, but this one just blows me away.. it is so amazing, the best fic that I have ever read, it just really leaves all the others in the dust.  It is the most real portrayal of Ennis post-Jack that has been written to date.

Links to story here:

http://271horses.livejournal.com/

The last chapter that is posted, but links to the start of it, just Amazing

http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/978194.html#cutid1
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:43:20 pm by Phillip »

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
Re: WIDOWER FOR ONE YEAR - the best BBM fic ever written
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:55:31 pm »
here is just a snippet of widower goodness:

Leaving the door open he went back into the kitchen, picked up the phone and dialed, wondered what he’d say if she answered but knew it would be him, he’d be up too and he was, picked up on the first ring.
“Hello?”
No words came, voice between cracks like he was thirteen again.
“Hello?” Jack said again and then he dropped to a whisper, “Ennis?” He managed a weak little, “yeah.” “You OK?” “Jack, I...” his jaw worked, the creek rising. He imagined him sitting in a dark kitchen in Texas and they listened to each other breathe till the fuse lit in the motel room out on the 26 finally burned to the powder and he got enough in his lungs for,
“Yes.”
And Jack’s breathing stopped. “Jack?”
“Yes, what?” barely audible.
“Yes I want....I want what you want, Jack.” He heard him exhale across two states. “You sure?”
“Yes I’m sure. I want a be with you, Jack.” Gathering steam, “damn you, Jack. Got me wrapped around your little finger, knew I couldn’t walk away twice. Know I said, two guys together, no way, but...just got a take the chance, can’t be no worse than...Jesus, Jack, it ain’t been a day yet and I can’t stand it no more, I’d rather be dead. Feels like I’m dead anyways, watchin you drive away, like you never were...I got a, got a be with you.”
“Ennis...” “What?” “I’m leavin now, Ennis. Ain’t unpacked yet anyways.” “What’ll you say a Lureen?” “She’s at her ma’s...we had a fight...I’ll tell you about it tomorrow afternoon, figger I’ll be there by then. I’m goin, OK?”
He heard the click, rested the receiver against his chest, things he still wanted to say, say them in person, tomorrow afternoon, better in person. Didn’t know how long she’d been standing there or what she’d heard. He stood up, still holding the phone, let the chips fall, all around them. Where they’d go, where they’d live, his wife, the mother of his children, his home, such as it was, his sacred vows. All he knew for certain, if it came to it, he’d live under a bridge with Jack Twist.

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 09:56:47 pm »
or how about this one:  GAH!

"every cell rearranging itself around his thrusting cock like a pond around a sinking stone, a wave goes through him and he sees in his eyes defensiveness and self-protection suspended, the terrible gaping hunger, four years’ worth, sees it all there, stepping out on the patio just to say his name out loud, clawing at his own skin and biting his knuckles against the howl eating its way out, Ennis, Ennis (it had been a year, Alma about ready to pop, should a never let you out a my sights, never) those soft eyes welling so blue now, all forgotten now, all better now, obliterated by this pounding relentless Ennis (he just made it into the alley before his legs gave out, guts heaving but bringing nothing up, wrung out with sobs, have to tough it out, won’t see him again now never, not ever, can’t want it, can’t care, have to pretend, stand it, have to, have to) his own eyes filling, the inexpressible relief that he doesn’t have to, life commuted to time served, four years, one month, one week, fevered, immerses himself, drowns himself in Jack, breathes, eats him, plunging in and in, filling him, overflowing, every corner of his sweet mouth, up inside his belly, Jack’s legs and arms straining so tight he thinks the muscles will snap off his bones and roll up like window shades, reaching down with both hands and pulling him in deeper, ... "

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:00:31 pm »
I just love this fic, they were quoting it over on the DC board, and I have just recently read it, so I just wanted to share some of the finest of the writing with all of my friends here.

"Come on, Jack," he breathed into his hair, let his hand wander south. Jack tried to stand fast but after twenty years Ennis knew all his body's secrets and he dissolved with a little sound like a sob as the other man took his mouth, rolled onto his back, opening, opening, ashamed of how easily he responded and a moment later beyond caring as Ennis moved on top of him, moved his hardness against Jack's. Ennis felt the wet on his own cheeks as he cupped Jack's face in both his hands and brought out the heavy artillery: "Come here, baby," and took Jack's mouth again in his and the other man wrapped his legs around him, ready for round two after all.
He made it all right that night, silencing the prodding voice in his head. It didn't speak up again, even after the blowup back at trailhead parking lot. It didn't say, turn the truck around, you damn fool. And that first night back in his own bed with the smell of Jack still on him, the memory of Jack still fresh, clawing his back and gasping his name as he came, it didn't say, never again.

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
WIDOWER FOR ONE YEAR by 271 horses - Great fic
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:27:45 pm »
Great fic by a great author.

http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/978194.html#cutid1

I would post some quotes here, but I am told by the moderators it is against the rules to quote fics, so I will just steer you to the link and highly recommend this well written post-Jack story.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 10:42:40 pm by dragonlady »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: WIDOWER FOR ONE YEAR by 271 horses - Great fic
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:20:29 am »
Actually, it is not against the rules to quote fics, and your quotes have been added back to the thread. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 09:24:33 pm »
I dont think I misunderstood anything.  You told me not to quote from the fic.  Then you deleted my thread.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:32:25 pm »
The messages have been restored.  Nobody suggested you misunderstood.  It's time to move forward.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

injest

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 10:39:16 pm »
DL...I don't read fan fics so I am not familiar with the terminology...and I do have a question.

You said it is 'post-Jack' but the passages you quote have Jack in them? does this story take place after Jack's death and these are flashbacks ?

sorry if this is a dumb question...like I said I am not familiar with the terms...

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:08:30 pm »
DL...I don't read fan fics so I am not familiar with the terminology...and I do have a question.

You said it is 'post-Jack' but the passages you quote have Jack in them? does this story take place after Jack's death and these are flashbacks ?

sorry if this is a dumb question...like I said I am not familiar with the terms...

It takes place after Jack's death, and hopefully will be finished one day. A high percentage of the flashbacks are sexual fantasies.

BBM fanfic sequels that follow the original plot are often called "Dead Jack" stories, which has a Halloween-ish sound to it.

one_of_one

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 06:04:47 am »
I really like this fic.  It has a unique viewpoint in that Ennis is still alone many years after Jack dies.  He thinks about Jack, and has flashbacks...and in places it can be quite sad.

But the main focus is Ennis's grandson...and more recently, Jack's grandson. 

I recently reread the last chapter, which was a little heartbreaking because Ennis's grandson has just experienced something he can't tell anyone about.  I hope the author updates soon.

Helen :)

Offline dragonlady

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 01:07:15 am »
I heard that the author is close to finishing a new chapter, but has real life issues.  I like that not only does this story have great flashback sequences with Jack, but also "fantasy" sequences, where clearly Ennis is speculating on what would have happened if he had done things different.

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 12:21:39 am »
Hello.  I just joined.  Been lurking a bit but joined because I adore this story and think it is one of the best written stories out there.  I would be trilled to dicuss it with other people who are interested in it. 

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 12:35:07 am »
I love this story, too. It has a heart-breaking quality like the original BBM story. I loved the sparse style; I felt it reflected Ennis.  I wasn't as interested in the grandson as much as Ennis, although the story & writing are good. I really hope 271horses does update. I need to go back and reread it.

cc33 / Leslie

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 12:38:57 am »
I love this story, too. It has a heart-breaking quality like the original BBM story. I loved the sparse style; I felt it reflected Ennis.  I wasn't as interested in the grandson as much as Ennis, although the story & writing are good. I really hope 271horses does update. I need to go back and reread it.

cc33 / Leslie

Really?  You know, the funny thing is I usually just don't get into the OCs all that much.  I sort of see them as a plot device to move the story forward but I LOVE Ennis Jr.  I see so much of Ennis Sr. in him and I just adore the exploration of what a great father figure / grandfather Ennis is to this boy.

I also really like Jack's grandson.  I keep thinking that the two are destined to meet.  Ennis Jr. has that fetish for blue eyes and all.

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 08:58:19 pm »
I am starting to re-read Widower.  I so love this fic and see new things each time I read it.  I just came across the following in Chapter 1 in the first year after Jack's death.

It had been a shock when Don came over to the pens, dangling his big belly a belt hook with three keys on it at him. "Huh?" "Keys to the cabin? Remember?" Don laughed but Ennis could hardly hear him through the sudden buzzing in his ears. "Are ya or ain't ya? You don't, someone else will, no problem. Havin too much fun here, huh?" "Sorry, Don, change of plans. Family thing. Should a called..." he managed to get out.

It is these little reminders that come to Ennis out of no where that hit Ennis so hard and he has absolutely no way to explain why he is suddenly stopped short by it.  He has no one to talk about Jack with or what the loss of him means.   :'( 

Offline bay mare

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 09:04:19 pm »
Through the slush freezing in the corners of the windshield where the wipers didn't reach he saw Jack's skin, golden in the firelight, Jack's eyes, lashes at half mast, gazing deep into his own as Ennis bent to kiss him softly, cock still inside him, and almost, almost said the words that were always on the tip of his tongue but never quite made it out.

It seems to me that one of the central themes of BBM is regret.  I think that is why so many of us are so drawn to this story and hits us so hard.  A person can't be beyond a certain age and not have some real regrets in their life.  Widower really deals with the impact of Ennis' regrets so well.  I love how AJ doesn't try to make them all just go away so that we can sleep better at night.  He doesn't try to pretend that every thing will be okay after enough time. 

Offline kittenspy

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 02:27:47 pm »
Through the slush freezing in the corners of the windshield where the wipers didn't reach he saw Jack's skin, golden in the firelight, Jack's eyes, lashes at half mast, gazing deep into his own as Ennis bent to kiss him softly, cock still inside him, and almost, almost said the words that were always on the tip of his tongue but never quite made it out.

It seems to me that one of the central themes of BBM is regret.  I think that is why so many of us are so drawn to this story and hits us so hard.  A person can't be beyond a certain age and not have some real regrets in their life.  Widower really deals with the impact of Ennis' regrets so well.  I love how AJ doesn't try to make them all just go away so that we can sleep better at night.  He doesn't try to pretend that every thing will be okay after enough time. 

That is actually one of my favourite quotes. Regret, harsh reality and poetry all in one.

More regret: what about this - no poetry whatsoever

His eyes bumped his ex-wife's, tripped, moved on. It had been awkward, yesterday, this morning. They rarely spoke aside from the pickup and drop-off arrangements, her flat pursed voice over the phone reminding him of the monthly check. No more of that now Jenny was eighteen last December. He was a free man.

Hey Jack, I'm free at last. Ain't that a kick in the head. He laughed till he'd choked, posted the last payment.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 11:18:20 am »
It's an excellent story.  Too bad he never finished it.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 09:36:29 pm »
I hope he is working on finishing this one. It sure would be a shame not to.
cc33

Offline dontinterrupt

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 04:54:41 pm »
hey, guys, just a desperate shout out: does anyone have this fan fic saved on their computer and could pass it over? i'd love to read it, especially having seen the quotes (what a torture, the LJ account was purged!!!). thanks!!!!