Author Topic: London Olympics - News & Views  (Read 234385 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: London Olympics - News & Views
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:32 pm »
Well, I certainly enjoyed the cheerful presence of the Jacques Rogge, the President of the IOC, throughout the week:

What's up his ass?  I know you're from Belgium, Jacques, but come on, turn that frown upside down.  He didn't even smile while handing out medals.  What a revolting man.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2012, 11:08:36 pm »
Closing ceremonies are nearly over and ... my impression ... too much of nothing (We Will Rock You' should never be sung without their true anthem 'We Are the Champions'). I must admit I've been away from pop culture for some twenty years but, were those acts really the best of GB? Where's Bowie or Elton John?
[...]

More importantly, where was JEDWARD:laugh:

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2012, 11:58:14 pm »

More importantly, where was JEDWARD!  :laugh:

WELL, I'd sort of agree, but--

PLANET JEDWARD is actually from (can it be possible??!!) the Republic of Ireland (and therefore not exactly eligible)??!

Oh my!

:o :o :o :o
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWUISfxyLs&feature=fvst[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x77sOUQhZU[/youtube]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:47 am »

Caliban's Dream
Written by
Rick Smith of Underworld
(London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mec8GZkEpD4[/youtube]
Published on Jul 27, 2012 by daibhymac

The hauntingly beautiful music from the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron at the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony. Featuring vocals from Alex Trimble (of Two Door Cinema Club), Only Men Aloud, Dockhead Choir, Elizabeth Roberts, Esme Smith and percussion by Dame Evelyn Glennie

HOWEVER, you MIGHT then be confused, wondering WHY was Alex Trimble of Two Door Cinema Club featured in the Opening Ceremony if JEDWARD of PLANET JEDWARD, being Irish, was not?

Well, that's because Two Door Cinema Club is from NORTHERN Ireland, and is actually BRITISH, that's why! (I think TDCC are WAY cool, by the way--Monika is absolutely right, the UK has produced [some of] the best music in the world.)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXwYJyrKK5A[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3CsRqMpbr0&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJDCMth8poM&feature=related[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2012, 07:37:16 am »

WELL, I'd sort of agree, but--

PLANET JEDWARD is actually from (can it be possible??!!) the Republic of Ireland (and therefore not exactly eligible)??!

Oops, my bad.   :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2012, 08:41:34 am »
I loved the look on Mo Farrah's face as he won the race that I saw of TV Saturday.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2012, 12:12:38 pm »

The most informal touch was the most moving: The athletes arrived on field in unison rather than filing in nation by nation. Imagine there are no countries; it isn't hard to do.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/olympics-london-2012-closing-ceremony-review.html

The London 2012 Closing Ceremony:
Both Kitschy and Irresistible

By Matt Zoller Seitz
Today at 9:15 AM

Was the closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games awful or amazing? I vote both.

As a gathering of pop music talent, it was impressive, and as a display of  "What the hell, we're done, let's party!" energy — as well as a checklist of 21st century hipster touchstones — I found it irresistible, even though I made fun of it from start to finish. That the production seemed to invite mockery — and built self-mockery into certain numbers — made the whole thing more lovable, or at the very least immense yet harmless.

The ceremony started with an out-of-shape Batman and Robin stumbling out of an exploding car (a reference to the long-running sitcom Only Fools and Horses  while an animated Michael Caine mask barked one of Caine's lines from The Italian Job : "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Imagine the next U.S.-based Olympic games starting its ceremony by re-creating a moment from Seinfeld 's "The Contest" while a bust of John Wayne as True Grit 's Rooster Cogburn barks "Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!" That's how "inside" this sketch was. Bravo, I sez.

The rest of the show was a slow-motion eruption of kitsch and a sampler of 50 years of native music, fashion, film, TV, and comedy. If you tuned out before the official handover to 2016's host city, Rio de Janeiro – complete with an extended musical preview that was as sensual and controlled as London's closing ceremony was nutty and raucous — you might have gone to sleep thinking that this was, in its way, one for the ages.

Annie Lennox, the Spice Girls, and Brian May shared the same broadcast with Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz, and Jessie J (the show MVP, I think). There was an elaborate tribute to Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines,  a tuxedoed men's choir performing the Olympic anthem, Fatboy Slim deejaying from inside the brainpan of a giant transparent inflatable octopus. Throughout, Ryan Seacrest's "duh" narration was forever telling us things we could see or Google for ourselves. (George Michael used to be the front man for Wham!, apparently.)

The ghosts of John Lennon and Freddie Mercury showed up via JumboTron. Lennon got an emotional blackmail assist, courtesy of a living sculpture that formed his face and a Liverpool children's choir singing "Imagine." Mercury's old Queen-mate May honored him with a glam-rock-metal guitar run-up to "We Will Rock You" that deserved a gold medal for chutzpah. He was clad in a monogrammed leather ensemble complete with cape, his haggard face framed by a Muppety spray of grandpa frizz. Too bad his performance, however spirited, reinforced one of the immutable laws of physics: Nobody can follow Freddie Mercury, even when he's dead.

Oasis's Liam Gallagher (with his new band Beady Eye) botched the band's biggest hit, "Wonderwall," so badly that I had to leave the room until he was done. He sounded like me imitating Bob Dylan, which might be the worst thing I can say about anybody. (In fairness, the Olympic committee originally asked Liam's brother Noel to sing the song, but he turned them down for reasons that only Noel Gallagher understands.) Russell Brand, an alleged comic actor I like to picture being mauled by ferrets, managed to be almost sweet when he entered the stadium atop a psychedelically painted Magic Bus while singing "Imagination" from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory  (pity that cult classic's director, Mel Stuart, died last Thursday). But then he lost me by screeching the lyrics to "I Am the Walrus" into a bullhorn while ringed by faux-hippie merry pranksters, Hare Krishnas, and go-go dancers. The reverent tribute to David Bowie's chameleonic image-shifting made it seem as though he, too, were dead, as opposed to sitting this one out. The Bowie interlude transitioned into a fashion show backed, not amazingly, by Bowie's "Fashion." Trucks rolled into the stadium bearing billboards of Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, and other supermodels we were about to see, who then spilled onto the catwalk in clothes by Erdem, Vivienne Westwood, Burbery, Christopher Kane, Alexander McQueen, and Victoria Beckham. (Beckham, née Posh, also appeared in the Spice Girls' number.)

The high point might have been Eric Idle leading a sing-along to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Python's Life of Brian,  which as you'll recall was originally performed on film by improbably cheerful crucifixion victims. Idle sang the line, "Life's a piece of shit" in front of 80,000 spectators and three-quarters-of-a-billion viewers; in sheer vastness of reach, this was an epic display of English cheek. (NBC bleeped the curse word, of course.) There wasn't a moment that wasn't in questionable taste; not only did the broadcast refuse to trouble itself over this, it claimed splendid-tawdry opulence, irreverence, and surrealism as defining aspects of U.K. pop culture. It was the least starchy closing ceremony in my lifetime: Dozens of stars and thousands of backup performers dancing, singing, and clowning as they mentally counted down the minutes until they could get snockered. The most informal touch was the most moving: The athletes arrived on field in unison rather than filing in nation by nation. Imagine there are no countries; it isn't hard to do.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »

Though I don't know who Eric Idle is (Is he one of the Monty Python Gang?), I did enjoy his bit - some. And the all male chorus during the lowering of the olympic flag - they were nice too.

The high point might have been Eric Idle leading a sing-along to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Python's Life of Brian,  which as you'll recall was originally performed on film by improbably cheerful crucifixion victims. Idle sang the line, "Life's a piece of shit" in front of 80,000 spectators and three-quarters-of-a-billion viewers; in sheer vastness of reach, this was an epic display of English cheek. (NBC bleeped the curse word, of course.) There wasn't a moment that wasn't in questionable taste; not only did the broadcast refuse to trouble itself over this, it claimed splendid-tawdry opulence, irreverence, and surrealism as defining aspects of U.K. pop culture. It was the least starchy closing ceremony in my lifetime: Dozens of stars and thousands of backup performers dancing, singing, and clowning as they mentally counted down the minutes until they could get snockered.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo[/youtube]

::) ::) ::) ::)

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2012, 02:25:31 pm »
Was The Who not part of the show proper?  I kept waiting for them to show up, then NBC said it was over and aired a preview of some fall comedy they're promoting.  I kept it on with the sound off.  When I looked up from the computer later, suddenly there was The Who.  It seemed to be some after party, which I failed to hear mentioned on NBC.  WTF?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »

Was The Who not part of the show proper?  I kept waiting for them to show up, then NBC said it was over and aired a preview of some fall comedy they're promoting.  I kept it on with the sound off.  When I looked up from the computer later, suddenly there was The Who.  It seemed to be some after party, which I failed to hear mentioned on NBC.  WTF?

#NBCfail! They literally lied,   to run some stupid network show. Unbelievable!

>:( :P

"Camping Out"