Author Topic: London Olympics - News & Views  (Read 234279 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: London Olympics - News & Views
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2012, 04:29:16 pm »
Closing ceremonies are nearly over and ... my impression ... too much of nothing (We Will Rock You' should never be sung without their true anthem 'We Are the Champions'). I must admit I've been away from pop culture for some twenty years but, were those acts really the best of GB? Where's Bowie or Elton John? The opening ceremonies were vastly superior to the closing ceremonies.

And as for the Rio presentation ... I didn't know they were into drag queen wannabees (or were those actually women?). Too much low tek flash, not enough substance. The only thing I could relate to in their show was Pelee, and he seemed as out of place in this presentation as Mohamed Ali did in the opening ceremonies.

Though I don't know who Eric Idle is (Is he one of the Monty Python Gang?), I did enjoy his bit - some. And the all male chorus during the lowering of the olympic flag - they were nice too.

Who was that boy quartet at the extinguishing of the flame? - nice song. Also liked the use of the Phoenix in extinguishing the flame.

Now they're concluding with The Who. Not a bad choice. At least all surviving members participated.

Bowie was included he just wasn't there himself...the fashion/ supermodel section... 

I think much of the British public were glad Elton was not on the line up.. hes been peddled out for every national event going this year - heavily included in the Jubilee as was McCartney who got another go at the opening ceremony...

The last 4 guys signing "Rule the World" were Take  That - a HUGE band here in Europe.. The lead singer Gary Barlow did so well last night - most people were so shocked to see him there - his little girl was stillborn 10 days ago.. :(

Eric Idle - loved his bit. Wonderfully random and ecentric.. very British humour! I hear the line, "Life's a piece of shit"  was bleeped out by NBC!!  :P

George Michael.. BAAADD dancing!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2012, 04:51:23 pm »
This is a link to Swedish television there you can see the entire show without commercial. The Who was on of the last bands preforming...with one of there song My Generation.

http://www.svt.se/os/#./se-avslutningsceremonin-igen?&_suid=134489045043801538046425493068

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »
This is a link to Swedish television there you can see the entire show without commercial. The Who was on of the last bands preforming...with one of there song Next Generation.

The other song was "Teenage Wasteland"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KII1ruAfvsg[/youtube]
Uploaded by polydor on Oct 19, 2007

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2012, 05:32:46 pm »
This is a link to Swedish television there you can see the entire show without commercial. The Who was on of the last bands preforming...with one of there song My Generation.

http://www.svt.se/os/#./se-avslutningsceremonin-igen?&_suid=134489045043801538046425493068

Thanks, Sophia, but this can only be viewed in Sweden.  :(

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »

Was The Who not part of the show proper?  I kept waiting for them to show up, then NBC said it was over and aired a preview of some fall comedy they're promoting.  I kept it on with the sound off.  When I looked up from the computer later, suddenly there was The Who.  It seemed to be some after party, which I failed to hear mentioned on NBC.  WTF?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/olympics-london-closing-ceremony-animal-practice-361210

Olympics 2012: NBC Criticized
for Interrupting Closing Ceremony
to Preview 'Animal Practice'

Surprised viewers also took the network to task
for editing out parts of the ceremony, including
performances by Muse and Ray Davies of the Kinks.

by THR Staff
12:40 AM PDT 8/13/2012

Some Olympics fans found yet another reason to be unhappy with NBC on Sunday night.

The network edited out parts of the Closing Ceremony -- including performances by Muse's Matt Bellamy, Ray Davies of The Kinks and a second song by George Michael -- and then at 11 p.m. abruptly cut away to show a preview of the new comedy Animal Practice.

Before the commercial break, announcer Bob Costas told viewers: "That concludes the Closing Ceremony. We'll be back to wrap things up after this."

After the break, he then revealed that the remainder of the ceremony, which the network billed as a "closing party," would actually air an hour later, following a sneak preview of Animal Practice  and local news.

"We'll be back from Olympic Stadium in about an hour for the London closing party, featuring The Who," he said. "Stay tuned now for a full episode of Animal Practice,  a new NBC comedy, presented commercial-free."

The move surprised and frustrated some viewers, including Glee  star Kevin McHale, who tweeted: "DEAR NBC. Interrupting the Olympic closing ceremony for an hr to air a show about a fictional animal dr. before it ends is a disgrace. Shame on you."

And the Robot Chicken account noted, "Doing a Twitter search for 'Animal Practice' right now is like tapping a keg of pure hate."

While some people on Twitter praised the show, many others weren't happy about NBC's scheduling decision.

Tweeted Ski Vegas, "#NBCFail #AnimalPractice is now the most hated show in America before the first episode. Amazing."

Added another named Lawrence Escamilla: "I may not be a The Who fan, but cutting them off to show terrible Animal Practice  is just another thing to add to the #NBCfail list."

NBC has been criticized throughout the Games for its decision to show the events on tape delay, sparking the creation of the Twitter hashtag #NBCFail.

The Animal Practice  preview also came about an hour after DirecTV went dark in Los Angeles for a half-hour during the Closing Ceremony, meaning some subscribers missed several of the show's performances. The satcaster cited a technical issue at its broadcast center for the outage.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:31 pm »

The other song was "Teenage Wasteland"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8_Pf144Qmg&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8KifjV_L-U[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2012, 08:31:35 pm »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/olympics-london-closing-ceremony-animal-practice-361210

Olympics 2012: NBC Criticized
for Interrupting Closing Ceremony
to Preview 'Animal Practice'

Surprised viewers also took the network to task
for editing out parts of the ceremony, including
performances by Muse and Ray Davies of the Kinks.

by THR Staff
12:40 AM PDT 8/13/2012

Some Olympics fans found yet another reason to be unhappy with NBC on Sunday night.

The network edited out parts of the Closing Ceremony -- including performances by Muse's Matt Bellamy, Ray Davies of The Kinks and a second song by George Michael -- and then at 11 p.m. abruptly cut away to show a preview of the new comedy Animal Practice.

Before the commercial break, announcer Bob Costas told viewers: "That concludes the Closing Ceremony. We'll be back to wrap things up after this."

After the break, he then revealed that the remainder of the ceremony, which the network billed as a "closing party," would actually air an hour later, following a sneak preview of Animal Practice  and local news.

"We'll be back from Olympic Stadium in about an hour for the London closing party, featuring The Who," he said. "Stay tuned now for a full episode of Animal Practice,  a new NBC comedy, presented commercial-free."

The move surprised and frustrated some viewers, including Glee  star Kevin McHale, who tweeted: "DEAR NBC. Interrupting the Olympic closing ceremony for an hr to air a show about a fictional animal dr. before it ends is a disgrace. Shame on you."

And the Robot Chicken account noted, "Doing a Twitter search for 'Animal Practice' right now is like tapping a keg of pure hate."

While some people on Twitter praised the show, many others weren't happy about NBC's scheduling decision.

Tweeted Ski Vegas, "#NBCFail #AnimalPractice is now the most hated show in America before the first episode. Amazing."

Added another named Lawrence Escamilla: "I may not be a The Who fan, but cutting them off to show terrible Animal Practice  is just another thing to add to the #NBCfail list."

NBC has been criticized throughout the Games for its decision to show the events on tape delay, sparking the creation of the Twitter hashtag #NBCFail.

The Animal Practice  preview also came about an hour after DirecTV went dark in Los Angeles for a half-hour during the Closing Ceremony, meaning some subscribers missed several of the show's performances. The satcaster cited a technical issue at its broadcast center for the outage.

Thanks for this, John, that explains why I never heard about the "after party."  I turned off the sound before the commercial break.

This is really a lousy decision on NBC's part.  Whatever viewers they might have picked up with the preview of "Animal Practice" will be more than balanced out by people who will never watch it because of the manipulation and misinformation visited on them.  I certainly belong to the latter group!  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:31 pm »

Photo Of American, Iranian Olympic Wrestlers Jordan Burroughs, Sadegh Goudarzi Offers Hope

A photograph of wrestlers Jordan Burroughs and Sadegh Goudarzi is being hailed as the single image to encompass the spirit of the Olympics.

Jack Moore of Buzzfeed first posted the image of Burroughs, an American, and Goudarzi, an Iranian, hugging after the New Jersey native beat his Middle Eastern competitor for first place.

"American wrestler Jordan Burroughs defeated Iran's Sadegh Goudarzi in freestyle wrestling to win gold," wrote Moore. "After the match and medal ceremony, Burroughs tweeted this photo."

Prior to the match, some had high hopes for the America-Iran showdown at the mat.

Benjamin Weinthal of the New York Daily News even paralleled wrestling to the nuclear weapons issue, writing, "What can we learn about nuclear weapons programs through the prism of wrestling? Though wrestling is often associated with martial arts brutality, it is actually a scientific study in how to anticipate your opponent’s behavior and react. Top-caliber wrestling is often marked by an aggressive, methodical patience."

Burroughs and Goudarzi's post-match affection showed, however, that the Olympics is a place for nations to come together.

After all, the Olympics is not about athletes winning gold, but rather about nations meeting in peace for friendly competition.

"The key ethical concept of the Olympic games in ancient Greek terms is called arete. Which means virtue or excellence. It's about trying to be the best you can be as a human being," Heather Reid, the Professor and Chair of Philosophy at Morningside College, previously told KTIV.

"The opening and closing ceremonies are a part of the ancient games too," she told the station. "It is a kind of a special time and place when that flame is lit, we are all supposed to think about our possibilities as human beings and what we can be as a world."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/13/jordan-burroughs-olympics-sadegh-goudarzi-photo-american-iran_n_1773333.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KII1ruAfvsg[/youtube]
Uploaded by polydor on Oct 19, 2007

Weird that Robbie Williams wasn´t with them... now when he is part of the gang again