Author Topic: ROAD TRIP: A BBM Game  (Read 422894 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ROAD TRIP: A New BBM Game
« Reply #870 on: December 27, 2006, 04:22:56 pm »
Oxien, TX

In 1900, the heirs of John Harris of Galveston offered for lease a league of land in the southeast part of Runnels County. This area was to become known as the Oxien Community. On July 27, 1905 a post office was opened with W.W. McKissack as postmaster. The mail was brought from Talpa three times a week at first; when the town grew the mail was brought daily. At one time Oxien consisted of a cotton gin, a general store with post office, a telephone switchboard, and a filling station. In later years an another store and filling station were opened. Oxien’s school was built in 1909. In 1913 the Oxien school and the Dietz school consolidated. The combined school was relocated on the Jarm Morrison place. In 1920 a larger building was erected. After this the school was know as the Dietz School District No 31. In 1930 this school was consolidated with Crews. In the early days church was held in the school house. In 1924 the Baptist Church was organized and a building built. It disbanded in 1937. The post office closed in 1913. The town site is marked with a few brick and rock foundations.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #871 on: December 27, 2006, 07:04:13 pm »
Namao, AB

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:07:46 pm by Fran »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #872 on: December 28, 2006, 01:55:58 am »
Olmito, Tx

OLMITO, TEXAS. Olmito is off U.S. highways 77 and 83 two miles northwest of Brownsville in southern Cameron County. The Olmito post office opened in 1905. A station was established in the area in 1911, when the St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railway was constructed. In 1914 the community had a population estimated at fifty, a post office, a grocery store, and a cotton gin. The next year a school was also in operation in the town. The post office closed in 1918 and reopened in 1925. In 1933 Olmito had a population estimated at seventy-five and seven businesses. The population remained at seventy-five through 1948, when there were two businesses in the area. By 1950 the town had a population of 150 and six businesses, and in 1952 the population was 200. In 1970 the Olmito Independent School District was consolidated with the Los Fresnos Independent School District.

Since the 1980s Olmito has received attention because of John Lennon Memorial Park, which is leased to the county at a dollar a year by the McNamara brothers because Lennon "did a great deal to promote peace and world harmony." The park holds an annual celebration in conjunction with Earth Day and another on Lennon's birthday.

During the 1960s a colonia developed northwest of Olmito. It too was known by the name of Olmito. In 1986 it had 274 dwellings and a population of 1,233. Olmito is Spanish for "little elm."

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #873 on: December 28, 2006, 03:10:11 am »
Oxkutzcab, Mexico

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:15:57 am by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #874 on: December 28, 2006, 08:56:42 am »
Bigfoot, TX

Originally called Connally's Store, the name was changed to honor William A.A. "Bigfoot" Wallace who was a resident of the area. A museum devoted to "Bigfoot" Wallace is the main draw for visitors.

The town dates from 1865, although they didn't get a post office until 1883.

The town suffered a disastrous fire in 1903. By 1907 there were 105 students in the Bigfoot school. Devine absorbed Bigfoot's school in the statewide sweep of school consolidations of the late 40s.

This is a portrait of Bigfoot Wallace:

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #875 on: December 28, 2006, 12:25:21 pm »
Trophy Club, Tx

AT A GLANCE
Where every home comes with hundreds of acres of natural beauty and a prestigious country club featuring 36 holes of golf!

With a unique history there is no other community like the planned community of the Town of Trophy Club. The planning and zoning activities covering all aspects of town development over the years have resulted in an ambiance like no other place. Trophy Club is an independent town with an elected mayor and five member council. All of the elements of quality community living come together here where comfort and peaceful living make this an outstanding place to be in any stage of life. Much of the town’s appeal is the wide range of home choices and resident participation in community activities, schools, churches, clubs, organizations and town advisory groups.

Trophy Club is a work in progress. The population of Trophy Club is expected to grow to 10,177 residents from the current 7,400 by 2013. Careful planning is a hallmark of our town and plans are constantly being reviewed to ensure that the growth of the community maintains the neighborhood atmosphere that residents have come to treasure.

The strategic location of the town places us at the center of a major growth area. A developing quality highway and road system around us provides easy access to all areas of the Metroplex, whether for work or play. Close proximity to both the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and Alliance Airport will continue to be a major factor in our growth.

On this website you will be able to visit our neighborhoods, our schools, our churches, parks, clubs, advisory groups and our Town government. Please browse through this site for items of interest to you. If you would like more information on any aspect of our town, please contact us. We welcome your inquiries and would appreciate your input on our site so we can make it more useful to you and other visitors.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:31:41 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #876 on: December 28, 2006, 02:16:56 pm »
Bishop, WY

Bishop is in Natrona County, in the Casper metro area.

The community was named after Marvin L. Bishop, president of the county woolgrowers association.

The Bishop Family Home was constructed in 1907, one of the earliest multi-story brick houses in Casper.  The residence is an example of a Four Square Home with colonial revival details, reminiscent of the Virginia boyhood home of the original owner, Marvin Lord Bishop, Sr. The home has been continuously owned and occupied by the Bishops, one of Casper's original pioneer families.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:27:39 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #877 on: December 28, 2006, 02:49:31 pm »
Peacock, TX

1909: Peacock was originally called Alluvia when it was a stop on the Stamford and Northwestern Railway.
1910: The name was changed when J. W. Peacock, postmaster, moved his store to Alluvia.
The population at that time was 100.
1914: A tornado wrecked the town, but growth continued
1920: The population was 350 people.
1940: the town was reduced to 216 residents
1964: The Peacock school closed.
1980: The population was 125.

And I found this interesting request online:

WW2 Paratrooper from Peacock, Texas

I am an English tour guide who takes people to visit WW2 battlefields in Normandy. I now live permanently in Normandy and I am trying to research the story of a WW2 paratrooper from Peacock, Texas who died in the house where I now live on June 8th 1944. His name was Ray C. Kennedy and originally came from Peacock in Texas. I know from your online article that this is a very small town and I am currently trying to research Mr. Kennedy's story in order to hopefully, one day, publish it. I know Ray Kennedy was born in 1917 and his parents (Surilla and Mr. C. E. Kennedy) lived in Peacock at the time of his death. Is there any resource you can think of in order to further my research and to possibly, maybe, trace any family he may have in Texas today? Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. Kind regards Stuart Robertson Normandy, France, July 12, 2006 [email protected]

Leslie

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #878 on: December 28, 2006, 03:07:15 pm »
Kovar, TX

Kovar is eight miles south of Smithville in southeastern Bastrop County.  It was named for an early settler, Martin Kovar, who arrived in the area around 1870.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:11:12 pm by Fran »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #879 on: December 28, 2006, 03:36:24 pm »
Red Butte, Wy

of 2000, there were 439 people, 160 households, and 134 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 360.6/km² (941.0/mi²). There were 163 housing units at an average density of 133.9/km² (349.4/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.81% White, 0.23% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.68% from other races, and 1.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.82% of the population.

There were 160 households out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.6% were married couples living together, 3.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.3% were non-families. 13.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.74 and the average family size was 3.01.

In the CDP the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 24.1% from 25 to 44, 31.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 111.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 108.4 males.

The median income for a household in the CDP was $70,350, and the median income for a family was $71,500. Males had a median income of $36,500 versus $32,321 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $26,751
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:47:21 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »