Author Topic: Brit film 'Weekend'. Any one else watched this wonderful movie?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Hey there. Long time, no post but I just had to see if anyone else here has seen the 2011 film 'Weekend' about 2 guys who fall in love over the course of a weekend in Nottingham?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714210/
[youtube=425,350]http://youtu.be/EmlNgKlHViY[/youtube]

I watched it yesterday after stumbling across it completely by accident on Netflix and I can't stop thinking about it - that hasn't happened since I watched BBM. It's just wonderful. Anyone have any thoughts?
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Brit film 'Weekend'. Any one else watched this wonderful movie?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:14:59 am »
Oddly enough, the DVD should be waiting for me in my mailbox right now. I will sure let you know.  ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 02:17:10 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUU_WzRBHX4[/youtube]

I finally got to the point I could sit down and watch this movie and it was so worth the wait. The praises in the trailer do justice to it quite well.

Usually when I watch a British movie I can understand about half the dialogue, and sometimes the cultural references escape me. It starts off slow I thought, and never really picks up speed, but it is a quite lovely story about two young men coming together and making a connection, as Ang Lee would say, a heart connection. Both are coming from different perspectives but find in some ways they compliment one another.

Glen, the artist, played by Chris New, interviews Russell, played by Tom Cullen the morning after they hook up at a club. It turns out Russell also chronicles his partners in writing and shares this with Glen, who discovers one of Russel's encounters was with his former partner.

These guys party, a lot. In fact I learned something watching this movie, when the characters demonstrate a way of taking Cocaine I have never seen before. Of course with cocaine come babbling, incessant and non stop for a while as they have the deep, soul baring conversationgs gay men have about society and how we are supposed to fit in.

As you can tell from the trailer, Glen is soon to go away, and the ending, I won't give away, but he makes a present to Russell, whose last name he can't remember. You should watch it and see what it is.

Yes, this is a wonderful movie. I highly recommend it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:58:23 pm »
WEEKEND made my top ten list for that year, I loved it. The incredibly sexy Tom Cullen is now in Downton Abbey, btw.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:23:11 am »
Weekend is one of my favourite gay movies; it is a classic.  It must have been difficult to stage because it is basically Russell and Glen talking.  Through language rather than action the tension builds and we see them come together.  With Glens help, Russell learns to lose his shyness about showing gay feelings openly, and by the train station scene he can embrace and kiss Glen in front of outsiders.  Glen learns to soften his insistence on emotional distance from another man and is crying on Russell's chest at the end.  Both men had matured in their willingness to try new close relationships after they parted from each other.  You could see, too, the intimate scenes changed from casual, first-meeting sex without much feeling to deep passion on the last night.

And the music.  Through Weekend I discovered John Grant and his album Queen of Denmark--the best gay CD I have ever heard, by far.  TC and Honeybear is a real tear-jerker, and gets me every time.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz