Author Topic: Longmire  (Read 27177 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Longmire
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:56:48 pm »
I was just reviewing our souvenir map from Roundup, and I noticed a locality in the southeastern corner of Johnson County, Wyoming, know as "Linch." I'm guessing this might be the prototype for a place in A Serpent's Tooth, the ninth Longmire novel, known as "Short Drop." "Short Drop" is said to have gotten its name from a hanging, and the hanging was a lynching, so lynch = "Linch" = "Short Drop."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 12:53:44 am »
I'm no longer so sure. They had huge, really huge, crowds last year, and it might already be too late to get some place to stay in Buffalo.  :-\

You'll never know if you don't try and have a look. ;) And Sheridan is only a short drive away, just half an hour.
Maybe the WY tourist office website is helpful for you. They have quite some accommodations listed in Buffalo, and you can sort them by different types of it (B&Bs, Cabins [wouldn't a rustic cabin be lovely?], dude ranches, etc.)
Here's a list of 17  hotels&motels directly in Buffalo:
http://www.wyomingtourism.org/placestostay/listings/Hotels--Motels-and-Inns/33021

I was just reviewing our souvenir map from Roundup, and I noticed a locality in the southeastern corner of Johnson County, Wyoming, know as "Linch." I'm guessing this might be the prototype for a place in A Serpent's Tooth, the ninth Longmire novel, known as "Short Drop." "Short Drop" is said to have gotten its name from a hanging, and the hanging was a lynching, so lynch = "Linch" = "Short Drop."

Sounds compelling to me, I think you got it right. Cool! 8)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:14 am »
I'm pretty much over the Siesta Motel. The bathrooms make me feel that I need to take a shower--somewhere else! 

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:14 am »

You'll never know if you don't try and have a look. ;) And Sheridan is only a short drive away, just half an hour.
Maybe the WY tourist office website is helpful for you. They have quite some accommodations listed in Buffalo, and you can sort them by different types of it (B&Bs, Cabins [wouldn't a rustic cabin be lovely?], dude ranches, etc.)
Here's a list of 17  hotels&motels directly in Buffalo:
http://www.wyomingtourism.org/placestostay/listings/Hotels--Motels-and-Inns/33021

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably wouldn't have thought of looking at the state level; I already know that there are a number of places listed on the Chamber of Commerce site.

Maybe the real question right now is whether I will get over my funk before it's too late. Right now, I just don't feel like it--but that's a subject for another thread.

Meanwhile, I noticed something on the Longmire Days schedule that I thought was really nice: the actress who plays the supporting role of Ruby, the sheriff's department dispatcher and office manager, will be running a program for children.

The TV show returns for its third season June 2, and the second season ended with a cliffhanger: Branch was shot.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 09:10:33 am »

I've started rereading A Serpent's Tooth, and last night while I was reading I pulled out my old souvenir map from the Roundup. The map showed me further evidence to support my hypothesis that the "Powder Junction" of the Longmire novels is Kaycee, and also that "Surrey" and "Short Drop," places that figure in the plot of A Serpent's Tooth, are, respectively, Sussex and Linch. In the novel Walt says that he took the exit (from the interstate) for Powder Junction, and then took "192" south and east to Surrey and Short Drop. Well, the map shows you that Rt. 192 is the highway that runs south and east from Kaycee through Sussex and Linch.

In one respect I will have to check the novel and the map again tonight at home. I might be confusing the names Surrey and Sussex. I am certain that one is the actual place in Wyoming and one is the fictionalized place in the novel.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:10:29 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 09:44:02 am »
In one respect I will have to check the novel and the map again tonight at home. I might be confusing the names Surrey and Sussex. I am certain that one is the actual place in Wyoming and one is the fictionalized place in the novel.

Oh, heck! I forgot to check this last night!  >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 10:05:34 pm »
I've started rereading A Serpent's Tooth, and last night while I was reading I pulled out my old souvenir map from the Roundup. The map showed me further evidence to support my hypothesis that the "Powder Junction" of the Longmire novels is Kaycee, and also that "Surrey" and "Short Drop," places that figure in the plot of A Serpent's Tooth, are, respectively, Sussex and Linch. In the novel Walt says that he took the exit (from the interstate) for Powder Junction, and then took "192" south and east to Surrey and Short Drop. Well, the map shows you that Rt. 192 is the highway that runs south and east from Kaycee through Surrey and Linch.

OK, I've checked the map. Sussex and Linch are the real places in Wyoming. Surrey and Short Drop are the fictional places in A Serpent's Tooth.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 10:18:22 pm »
Well, I'm glad we got that straightened out!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:30 am »
A group that is not facebook or the like is Goodreads. It's owned by Amazon and there's a Longmire reading group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/116180-the-walt-longmire-series-books-tv-show-group

The bad news is it only has 7 members currently.

But I would imagine that if you get active in some similar groups, you could find some sympatico people to carpool with from Denver or wherever to Ucross.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 11:02:21 am »
A group that is not facebook or the like is Goodreads. It's owned by Amazon and there's a Longmire reading group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/116180-the-walt-longmire-series-books-tv-show-group

The bad news is it only has 7 members currently.

But I would imagine that if you get active in some similar groups, you could find some sympatico people to carpool with from Denver or wherever to Ucross.

Oooh! Thank you so much for that tip! I will have to check it out when I get back from visiting my dad this weekend.   :-*