Author Topic: Can something be done?  (Read 8534 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Can something be done?
« on: August 03, 2013, 04:21:46 pm »
Friends and neighbors we've got trouble in River City Bettermost. Perhaps some of you folks are not aware that just about every day, some bots--if that's the correct term for them--are creating memberships and posting movie-related spam in our fair community.

I have been reporting these posts to the mods whenever I find them, and perhaps others are, also, but can something be done to prevent this from happening?

Just askin' 'cause this is gettin' tiresome. I'm not tech-savvy enough to know if anything can be done. I appreciate the dedication of our mods, and I imagine they might be gettin' tired of all these reports of "Spam!" from me. Sorta like a Bettermost Spam-a-lot. ...  ;D

(((Mods!)))  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Can something be done?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »
I have noticed this also, perhaps because of my timezone. I have seen other groups be overwhlemed with this sort of activity so they regular users depart and they become defunct. Some groups say you must post 5 replies before you can start your own thread. Is this possible?

Several years ago, when I had a disagreement, I tried to leave Bettermost but found it was impossible. I did leave Dave Cullen at the time and have not returned. Perhaps it was just as well as I have returned to Bettermost  ;D.  However the claim of over 2000 residents is a bit much. I guess probably at least half have not visited in more than a year

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:45:04 pm »
Friends, moderators diligently remove the spam postings and alert our administrators so they can ban the posters. Our co-founder and tech guru John is working on a possible fix, but there will probably always be some spam. We usually get the spam posts off within a few hours...sometimes a few minutes ...of their posting. And we have people working on it in many time zones. However, right now a couple of moderators/admins are travelling so there many be a bit more spam than usual. I'll mention it to Chrissi when I see her later on.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:19:29 pm »
Well done to all the moderators.....you must be very diligent, because I have yet to see any spam......thank you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:22:40 pm »
Friends, moderators diligently remove the spam postings and alert our administrators so they can ban the posters. Our co-founder and tech guru John is working on a possible fix, but there will probably always be some spam. We usually get the spam posts off within a few hours...sometimes a few minutes ...of their posting. And we have people working on it in many time zones. However, right now a couple of moderators/admins are travelling so there many be a bit more spam than usual. I'll mention it to Chrissi when I see her later on.

Thanks, FRiend! It's good to know that this has been brought to the attention of our Top People.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:42:06 pm »
I'm not sure what type of security DCF has in place, but we rarely ever get spammers, but every once and a while, one gets through.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 02:21:03 pm »
Chrissi says these spams are coming from large companies in Asia that just send spam all the time. She's travelling right now so there may be a few more than usual but we moderators who are at home can keep deleting them.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:38:45 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 04:26:22 pm »

Yum! Who knew they made so many varieties?  :D

I wish I could find them around here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:31:30 pm »
Spamalot!