Author Topic: On Bewitched  (Read 28622 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Bewitched
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:56:36 am »

Front-Ranger.  Do gay men love I Love Lucy, The Wizard of Oz, Bewitched?  I don't, or haven't since I was a child.  And even as a kid I only watched half an episode of Bewitched before dismissing it as silly tripe. 

So, yesterday I received a photo on my phone of Samantha Stevens's house from EDelMar!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
On Bewitched
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:18:32 am »
So, yesterday I received a photo on my phone of Samantha Stevens's house from EDelMar!

How nice for you! That was my ideal house when I was a kid, and it still might be. I just wouldn't want to live there by myself.

(The house once "guest starred" as the home of Dr. and Mrs. Bellows on an episode of I Dream of Jeannie.  ;D )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Bewitched
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:53 pm »
I really don't know what's so special about that house! All I remember is Darrin and the nosy neighbors peeking through the picture windows. Those picture windows were a 1950s suburbia phenomenon. What did the architects think they were picturing? A view of the street and the house across the street (and its picture window) or a picture of the people in the living room? It's all too Ice Storm-y for me to contemplate. And that brings us back full circle to BBM and the blue parka that Jack lost in the ice storm in Texas (ice storm in Texas?)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
On Bewitched
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:17:24 pm »
I really don't know what's so special about that house! All I remember is Darrin and the nosy neighbors peeking through the picture windows. Those picture windows were a 1950s suburbia phenomenon.

It's a classic style. I don't remember picture windows in the living room. There were sliding patio doors/windows into the backyard, but I believe the windows in the front, into which Mrs. Kravitz was always trying to peek, were a pair of double-hung sash windows.

I have a picture of the house, with Samantha and Endora standing on the porch (there is a "For Sale" sign, so it must be from the early first-season episode where Sam found the house). But I can't post it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Bewitched
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »
Jeff, there's a picture window in the living room and another window...a bay window, in front. I assume that's in their bedroom. If I can figure out how to get EDelMar's picture from my phone to my computer, I'll show you! (Yes, I know I just need to turn on my Bluetooth)

I wonder what the closets looked like and whether Darrin spent a lot of time there???

So, I've highjacked x-man's topic long enough...but I just want to add two more things. I think I told you all about going to see The Wizard of Oz in 3-D with my favorite scarecrow recently. And it made me smile to remember when EDelMar and I recreated Lucy's famous trip on the Staten Island Ferry with William Frawley. I needed a smile today!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
On Bewitched
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Bewitched
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:53:33 pm »
Yes, that's the place! Thanks, Paul! I suppose that is a purple martin house at the peak of the roof? It certainly does look like a stage set!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
On Bewitched
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:45:05 pm »
Jeff, there's a picture window in the living room and another window...a bay window, in front. I assume that's in their bedroom.

I suppose what you're calling a picture window is what I'm calling the patio doors (it appears I was mistaken in my memory about them being sliding doors, because there are doorknobs clearly visible in the picture Paul posted). But where I grew up we did not call them "picture windows." What we calld a "picture window" was what was in my grandparents' living room, one huge window, not something you could open and walk through, that took up darn near an entire wall. The set of double windows to the right of the door are too small to be considered picture windows. I hate to resort to a dictionary in a discussion, but Webster's defines a picture window as "an outsize usu. single-paned window."

The bay window on the ground floor is not Darrin and Samantha's bedroom. Their bedroom was upstairs. And those windows in the roof are called dormers. Based on the interior set, that first-floor bay window would have been in Darrin's den.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Bewitched
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 10:53:55 am »
x-man, would you like me to split off this tangential discussion from your original topic? I'm sorry we got off track and look forward to more discussion of the BBM phenomenon.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
On Bewitched
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 01:04:58 pm »
x-man, would you like me to split off this tangential discussion from your original topic? I'm sorry we got off track and look forward to more discussion of the BBM phenomenon.

Your idea to split the above several postings off to form their own site (That is what you meant, isn't it?) is an interesting one.  I had thought the first few postings about Bewitched were a gentle, ironic response to my dismissing Bewitched and suggesting that no more gay men than anyone else liked it, but then I saw that it grew.  I am, of course, horrified.   :)  But splitting would reestablish the site to its original intent--reactions to the BBM phenomenon.  Oh, and please don't think of it as my site; I just did a few postings here, not at all intending to take it over.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz