Author Topic: 50th Anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination  (Read 8809 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
50th Anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:34:36 pm »
I know there are so many tributes on TV this month, and no matter what you think of him, his presidency and his death impacted this country enormously. 

JFK Funeral Part 1 of 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuJjaOKITn4

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: 50th Anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:52:55 pm »
Thank you, bf, that was very interesting to see the whole series.

So many people, of a certain age, recall exactly where they were, when they heard the news. (I was barely 3 months old, so no memories from me). 

I suppose it's like most people now remember when they heard about 9/11. 

Please share your memories here.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »
Fifty years ago.  I guess Jack was at his Daddy's place, and Ennis was marrying Alma.  I somehow doubt they had a TV then, maybe they would have heard via the radio.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:03:35 pm »
Five years old, attending afternoon kindergarten. We were lined up in the classroom, waiting for dismissal, which was at 3:45 p.m., when the school principal came on the public address system with the awful news.   :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:10:51 pm »
Here is a connection to Brokeback I saw on Sunday Morning yesterday: Kennedy wrote to a widow of one of the men killed on the USS Thresher:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqFvGTVi22U&list=UUVT1tPkR-fUVlO652EcO3ow[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »
I was 12 years old.....

Here in Australia, people dont talk much about politics, so back then it was talked about even less...I honestly dont recall any memory of Kennedy or even a photo of him before he died, but I do remember, standing out in the front yard with my mum back in November 1963, and she was talking to the lady next door, and the death of Kennedy came up in conversation, and they spoke about how terrible it was....I do think the terrifying thing to them and to me, was that someone had actually shot someone so important.

No satellite TV meant  we didnt get footage on the news here until at least 24 hours later. We obviously would not have got the coverage that you got in america, some of which I never got to see until years later in documentaries.

I also remember seeing the footage of Jack Ruby walking towards Oswald and shooting him, and as a gullible 12 year old thought how much Jack Ruby must have loved the president and his overwhelming grief had caused him to kill Oswald. I also remember thinking that I hoped Ruby would not get into trouble for doing what he did, and was astounded when they arrested him....

Over the last 50 years I have been very intrigued about the Kennedy family and enjoyed reading articles about them, and also read the conspiracy theories about the assassination and the scandals and have recently been watching mini series about the family which have educated me even more about them.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:53:15 pm »
I was 18 and it was Saturday morning in Sydney. I vividly remember hearing the radio news while I was in bed and jumping out and running to the kitchen  and saying to Mum. "He's not dead?" I was studying for end of year exams at university and went into the library to spend the day and can still remember everyone was so silent in the train and bus just reading the papers. Those my age idolised him as he seemed so young compared to most politicians of the time (Camelot) and so more in tune with us. Of course later we learnt so much that, like most politicians, he was flawed. I guess, being older than Sue and at university, I was more aware of the politics of the time but tv footage did take a day or so to arrive.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:45 pm »
I was a 7th grader just entering middle school and I was very overwhelmed. I was standing at my locker in the basement of my school just trying to deal with all my books, coat, and other belongings when I heard a clattering on the stairs. I was scared because there was no one else around. Suddenly, Kirstie Alley, who was a year or two older than me, burst into the hall and yelled at me, "Kennedy was shot". I just gaped at her, not able to take it in. "What?" I squeeked. "Kennedy was shot!" she repeated and moved on. I was mostly shocked because she had disrespectfully said "Kennedy" instead of "President Kennedy". I had no idea that he was mortally wounded. (Maybe I thought she was a drama queen way back then!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:28:04 pm »
I also remember seeing the footage of Jack Ruby walking towards Oswald and shooting him.

You know, I have a memory of seeing Ruby shoot Oswald on TV, but what I don't know is if I saw the actual event, or just repeated film of it.

By that point I was just glad that the shooting of the president did not mean the Russians were coming to get me, or something. It was Cold War time, after all, and we had "duck and cover" drills in school.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:37:53 pm »
Thank you, Tru, for that video.  I also was wondering if there were a Thresher connection. 

And thank you all, for your memories.