Author Topic: "Some Sweet Life," "The Grieving Plain," and other "Zane Twist" fanfictions  (Read 121228 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: "All I Got and All I Want" by Jeff Wrangler
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2006, 06:57:54 pm »
Awww. ...  ::)

I've been away from the fanfiction forum for a few days, so please forgive the belated thank you, Fern and Littlewing, for your kind comments. (Please forgive all those alliterative "f"s, too.  ;D )

Fern, I especially appreciate your comment that I've managed to keep our cowboys "recognizably themselves." Thanks!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "Zane Twist" fanfictions by Jeff Wrangler
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2006, 08:45:22 pm »
Bump, in case any new folks who find their way here in the wake of the HBO broadcast might be interested.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2006, 09:38:43 pm »
And bump, because they should be interested, and these are a great introduction to fanfic and BBM related stories.

Thanks again, Jeff, for your contributions.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2006, 11:15:38 pm »
And bump, because they should be interested, and these are a great introduction to fanfic and BBM related stories.

Thanks again, Jeff, for your contributions.

L

Aww, thanks, Sweetheart!

(Enjoy your "Candy" and your Manhattans!  ;)  ;D )

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2006, 11:51:30 am »
Somebody asked me about links. ...  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "No Hero," an AU Christmas fanfic, and other "Zane Twist" fanfictions
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2006, 04:44:09 pm »
Bump.  ::)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2006, 11:33:08 pm »
Just reread "No Hero" - your stories are so true, Jeff. Jack's and Ennis' voices come through so clearly, it's like I'm listening, not reading. Thank you for letting us share a Christmas with them, and convincing me that there is an AU where they are celebrating the holiday together, as always.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2006, 11:43:03 pm »
Just reread "No Hero" - your stories are so true, Jeff. Jack's and Ennis' voices come through so clearly, it's like I'm listening, not reading. Thank you for letting us share a Christmas with them, and convincing me that there is an AU where they are celebrating the holiday together, as always.

Well, thank you very much. Can't begin to tell you how happy it makes me that you feel I seem to do a good job capturing their voices. (Wish we had a little "blushing cowboy smiley," but we don't, so I'll just have to  :) and let it go at that.)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2006, 09:27:24 am »
Hi Jeff,

I have just read "The Grieving Plain" and am absolutely speechless. Since first finding BetterMost, less than a month ago, I have taken to making quick visits during the day at work, when I have a free moment. It acts as a refreshing respite for me, amidst the manic turmoil of my working day. Gad, ol' Brokeback got me so good, it's not unusual to find me with tears in my eyes during such visits. I was certainly glad, however, that I didn't read "The Grieving Plain" at work - it had me sobbing out loud. It was the image of Jack silently smiling at Ennis, in his dream, that brought me undone. Congratulations to you, Jeff. You wove a beautiful, believable tale of what might very well have happened, incorporating much of Annie Proulx's timelessly memorable imagery into your story. When I feel I can handle the emotional hammering, I'll be reading it again. Thank you for writing such a beautiful story.

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2006, 10:10:43 am »
Hi, Kerry,

Well, I always feel compelled to apologize for making people cry, but thank you so much for your kind words about "The Grieving Plain." I appreciate it very much that you took the time to comment, and it was a pleasant and unexpected surprise to find your post when I logged on here at my own job this morning.

Actually, in mentioning my incorporation of Annie Proulx's imagery, you touch on what has been my approach to this whole fanfiction thing. I haven't had the inspiration--or the time--to write anything for awhile now, but all along I have made a deliberate effort to imitate Annie Proulx's turns of phrase, or to write things that deliberately evoke memories of scenes or lines that we know from the story or the film. Perhaps it's not very original or imaginative of me, but I didn't create Ennis and Jack, and this is how I'm able to "see" my own stories in my own mind's eye.

Of course, it's also true that I have added things from my own personal experience. For example, in "The Grieving Plain," the pot of red geraniums from the southward-facing porch comes from the fact that my late mother always planted geraniums in the southward-facing flower bed, against a brick wall, in front of the house where I grew up. The sun against the brick wall kept the flower bed warm enough that it wasn't unusual for those geraniums to be blooming as late as Christmas.

Thanks again for your kind words about the story.

Jeff