Author Topic: "Some Sweet Life," "The Grieving Plain," and other "Zane Twist" fanfictions  (Read 121444 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Well, that photo of the cross against the dark and lowering sky is very atmospheric--a great photo, in fact. I like that one.

I have to admit, however, that the photos of a "Twist" headstone "magically inserted" among the real graves makes me vaguely uncomfortable. I know no disrespect is intended, and I intend none here, but I'm troubled by the thought that, intended or not, it might be disrespectful to the people who are actually buried there.

I understand your point of view, Jeff. Be assured that the headstone and grave were facing the other way and we only put the name on the back of it.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I understand your point of view, Jeff. Be assured that the headstone and grave were facing the other way and we only put the name on the back of it.

Tell you what, after I wrote my response, I thought about this a lot more. I got to thinking about all the TV shows I've seen that featured funerals or graves as part of the plot (Ghost Whisperer would be a good, recent example), and I realized that none of those had ever made me uneasy. So looking at it from this perspective, I don't really understand why the "Twist headstone" made me uneasy--made me concerned about disrespect--whereas scenes from fictional TV shows that were clearly filmed in cemeteries never raised an issue with me--perhaps especially since it hadn't occurred to me that the name had been superimposed on an existing "real" gravestone. I had assumed that the whole stone had been "magically inserted." It's a puzzlement.  ??? :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Um, bump. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
 :D   Thanks for that Jeff...I had always meant to go back and read your other stories.  Thanks for a very pleasant evening.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
:D   Thanks for that Jeff...I had always meant to go back and read your other stories.  Thanks for a very pleasant evening.

You're welcome!  :D  Somebody asked about my stories at the barbecue, so I bumped the thread to make it easier to find the links.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Always good to bump the good stories, Jeff!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Always good to bump the good stories, Jeff!

Leslie

Awwww. ...  ::) Thanks, Sweetheart!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
I'm so glad these stories were bumped!  I'm only sorry I haven't read them sooner.

Thank you for writing "Some Sweet Life."  That is simply gorgeous writing and I was profoundly touched. 

Really enjoyed the other stories as well - especially "Sayin' I Do" - really demonstrated what good, good men J&E are and I love picturing the snapshot of Jack, Junior and Ennis together.  I also loved your note about the wedding date - that is so Leslie - which is always a very good thing!  LOL!!!

Thanks again, Jeff
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I'm so glad these stories were bumped!  I'm only sorry I haven't read them sooner.

Thank you for writing "Some Sweet Life."  That is simply gorgeous writing and I was profoundly touched. 

Really enjoyed the other stories as well - especially "Sayin' I Do" - really demonstrated what good, good men J&E are and I love picturing the snapshot of Jack, Junior and Ennis together.  I also loved your note about the wedding date - that is so Leslie - which is always a very good thing!  LOL!!!

Thanks again, Jeff
Marie

Why, thank you kindly, Mariez. I'm glad you enjoyed the stories and appreciate you taking the time to write. "Some Sweet Life" will always be very close to my own heart, as, aside from being my first story, it was how I gave myself peace of mind after the film ripped me up inside.

I agree with you about Leslie.  :D

J.W.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old

I just reread this story and yeah, it's very moving and touching. I was thinking about the song 'Lost Soul' reading your story. It's by a belgian singer songwriter called Anton Walgrave, very sad and moving too  :'(

When you reach the other side boy
Will you tell me what it’s like?
You dream ‘bout light and love and shelter

Will you reach the other side?
You’re cut adrift,maybe tonight
When you reach the other side

Lost soul

Hope you like what I have done boy
Now will you find some peace of mind?
And when you see us from a distance

When you reach the other side
Will things get better when you hide?
on the other side

Lost soul

You can listen to it on his website: http://www.antonwalgrave.com/index.php?page=lounge

I'm going to read your other stories too Jeff. You're talented.

And yes Marie, there can never be enough 'Leslie' in any story.  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'