Author Topic: The Cowboy Trail  (Read 58874 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: The Cowboy Trail
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 09:00:30 am »
Very nice additions, BF!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:17 pm »
I wonder how much Jack really knew about a cow & calf operation....the link below has a lot of info...

My dad always said that we are in the business of selling grass, not cattle. Our main ranch is located in Osage County, Oklahoma. This is on the southern edge of the Flint Hills, one of the best grazing ecosystems in the U.S. To most effectively “sell the grass” on our ranch, we are always evaluating what we think will work the best—”best” being a balance between what is most profitable and what is best for the land. To accomplish this we run three types of operations on our ranch and adjust according to what we think will work the best.

Cow-Calf Operation

This is just what it sounds like: You own a cow herd, then sell the calves that are produced. Cow-calf operations are the backbone of the beef industry and are made up mostly of smaller operations that own anywhere from 10 to 100 cows. It’s considered a more conservative type of cattle operation, but there are still a lot of variables that affect its profitability.

The largest variable with any cow-calf operation is the conception rate. A cow has a nine-month gestation period and you need all of your cows to get bred back almost as soon as they’ve given birth. Getting the cows bred back is paramount to having a profitable cow-calf operation, as you need to be able to sell a calf from your cows every year so that you’ll have the income.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2012/04/the-cow-calf-operation/
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 02:16:05 am »

I really love this one! Love the stocky pony with its winter coat and the non-glamorous appeal of the pic.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 02:23:54 am »

And I can totally get behind this one. :laugh:
Reminds me of something.....

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 11:10:52 am »
Wonderful photos! Also, the cow/calf operation breakdown was interesting. I read The Cowboy Way once and it was an eye-opener. Cowboys spend a huge amount of time involved with the reproductive systems of their female charges. The euphemisms are funny. Cows are "bred back"; and another one is "freshened". That means for the cow to have a calf so she produces  milk again. Can you tell us about the other two forms of cow ranching, butler? I assume you mean dairy and beef operations.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 11:11:40 am »
Also, when you sell the calves, who do you sell them to?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 07:01:53 pm »
I'll have to find some of my cowboy pics to post here.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 12:48:49 pm »
Wonderful photos! Also, the cow/calf operation breakdown was interesting. I read The Cowboy Way once and it was an eye-opener. Cowboys spend a huge amount of time involved with the reproductive systems of their female charges. The euphemisms are funny. Cows are "bred back"; and another one is "freshened". That means for the cow to have a calf so she produces  milk again. Can you tell us about the other two forms of cow ranching, butler? I assume you mean dairy and beef operations.

Sorry, I don't know anything about c&c....I just found that link and thought it would fit here....they sell the calves, after they reach a certain size/weight, at livestock auction houses...I don't like to think about it after that...

and now for something completely gorgeous...

Offline morrobay

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 12:50:09 pm »
Deadwood 1877

Offline morrobay