Author Topic: Michelle Williams as Sally Bowles in the revival of “Cabaret” at Studio 54  (Read 20580 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Theater 

For Michelle Williams, Life Is an Audition

The Actress Stretches Herself in ‘Cabaret’

By CHARLES McGRATHMARCH 27, 2014

As she’d be the first to tell you, Michelle Williams, a movie star with practically no experience as a singer and dancer, was not an obvious choice to play the nightclub entertainer Sally Bowles in “Cabaret.” She is making her Broadway debut in the role, at Studio 54, in the Roundabout Theater Company’s resuscitation of its legendary 1998 production, which brings back Alan Cumming in his Tony-winning turn as the Emcee. But she got the job only after Emma Stone (who does have a modest background in musical theater and, because of “The Amazing Spider-Man,” is more recognizable as well) dropped out.

“They didn’t call it an audition,” Ms. Williams said, recalling her first meeting with the show’s co-directors, Sam Mendes and Rob Marshall, who is also the choreographer. “But that’s what it was, and I’m fine with that. Sally was never a first choice. That’s why she had to go to Berlin.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/theater/michelle-williams-stretches-herself-in-cabaret.html
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

Offline morrobay

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Love the pics!  Thanks for sharing!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Oh how I would like to see that! I LOVE Cabaret and I love Michelle - Sophia and I actually saw her in Brooklyn!! Driving a Volvo!!
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I need to find out when this is running to or how long Michelle is in it, so I can try to get to NYC and get her autograph on my Oscar book.

*ETA*  I just checked the roundabout theater's site, the play runs until 8/31.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

Great idea!  If you or Berit see the show, please add a review here.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Great idea!  If you or Berit see the show, please add a review here.

I doubt that I will be able to see it since I live in Sweden  :o and my goal is to be able to go to the Jubilee in 2015, where ever it will be! Or go to Wy with Monika!! Or both!( Or an opera at the Met!!  :laugh: :laugh: )
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline morrobay

Sweden!  I didn't know!   :o   When you said you saw her in Brooklyn I just assumed you were a New Yawkah.  

Offline brianr

I was interested as I will be in New York from June 16 to 21 but I see the cheapest seats are $230.  I hope to see some shows mainly by queuing at Halftix.
I have just this week paid about $130 each for medium range seats  to The Lion King in Washington (Sunday June 22) and La Traviata in San Francisco (Friday July 11).
I love Cabaret but cannot afford that and I would, probably unfairly, be comparing Michelle with the marvellous Liza Minelli.