Author Topic: Michelle Williams as Sally Bowles in the revival of “Cabaret” at Studio 54  (Read 20574 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
At least you had the opportunity to make that mistake. Those of us who were stuck in the backwoods of Pennsyltucky during those years didn't even had the chance to make the mistake!

Jeff, the correct wording is, "You may be a sinner, but I never had the opportunity."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Jeff, the correct wording is, "You may be a sinner, but I never had the opportunity."

Yeah, but John wasn't a sinner. He never went to Studio 54.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Actually, my (Early-eighties) club uniform was my go-to-work uniform: white oxford button-down shirt, gray trousers, navy Sperry Top-siders with white laces, BIG tortoise shell frames. Sadly, no Silver Paint!)

Somehow, that strikes me as very gay.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

Somehow, that strikes me as very gay.  ;D

It WAS!   8) :D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Somehow, that strikes me as very gay.  ;D

It WAS!   8) :D

:laugh:

Ou sont les neiges d'antan?  :(

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
:laugh:

God knows!!!  :( :o :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Villon

Where are the snows of yesteryear?
The refrain "Where are the snows of yester-year?" is one of the most famous lines of translated poetry in the English-speaking world. It comes fromThe Ballad of Dead Ladies, Dante Gabriel Rossetti's translation of François Villon's Ballade des dames du temps jadis, where the line is: "Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Stock woodcut image, used to represent
poet François Villon (c. 1431-c. 1463)
in the 1489 printing of the
Grand Testament de Maistre François Villon

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!

God knows!!!  :( :o :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Villon

Where are the snows of yesteryear?
The refrain "Where are the snows of yester-year?" is one of the most famous lines of translated poetry in the English-speaking world. It comes fromThe Ballad of Dead Ladies, Dante Gabriel Rossetti's translation of François Villon's Ballade des dames du temps jadis, where the line is: "Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?"

I knew the translation--one of only two uses that I know of yester-year (the other, of course, being in the intro to The Lone Ranger)--but I didn't know the translation was by D.G.R.

I guess I should drop this because I have led this thread astray from Michelle Williams as Sally Bowles (no doubt an artistic endeavor of higher merit than her old costar James Van der Beek's new sitcom  ::) ).

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wow! What a Cabaret act, Michelle...

By Baz Bamigboye

Published: 18:00 EST, 3 April 2014  | Updated: 07:54 EST, 4 April 2014

Michelle has another two weeks to develop the role in previews before critics get to see her, from April 18. The show will open officially on April 24

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
oh, I hope the critics love her!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Pics and a short video interview are at the link.

At least your outfit looks good! Michelle Williams poses at Cabaret opening night after-party as her performance receives tepid reviews

Taking on the iconic role of Sally Bowles in Cabaret was always going to be a big risk.

And for Michelle Williams, who made her Broadway debut as the character on Thursday, it didn’t pay off as much as she had hoped.

The actress received lukewarm reviews for her performance – including some that were rather negative.

MICHELLE WILLIAMS IN CABARET ON BROADWAY: THE REVIEWS

Ben Brantley, The New York Times: The promiscuous, hard-partying Sally is now embodied by a very brave Michelle Williams, who doesn't look all that happy to be there. I'm assuming that's more a matter of character interpretation than of personal discomfort, but it does put sort of a damper on the festivities.

Mark Kennedy, Associated Press: Michelle Williams makes her Broadway debut as Sally Bowles and she does an excellent job, playing both scared and daffy superbly and singing with real heart. Williams starts out a little tentatively but soon roars into the role and her version of the title song has a wrenching, dead-eyed quality that hauntingly undercuts its light lyrics.

Marilyn Stasio, Variety: Inspiration flagged in casting Michelle Williams, so soft and vulnerable in My Week With Marilyn, as wild and reckless party girl Sally Bowles.

Adam Feldman, Time Out NY: Waifish and vocally tremulous, Michelle Williams is credibly lost as Sally Bowles, a wanna-be bad girl who sings at the club.

Joe Dziemianowicz, New York Daily News: A platinum-blond Williams assumes an English accent and an almost jolly and girlish demeanor flecked with desperation. She comes off so feathery that Sally could fly away - except for her full-tilt go at the title song. Besides that final scene, Williams comes off paler and wispier than desired. Maybe next time.

Linda Winer, Newsday: Cumming, who began his huge American career with this Tony-winning pansexual ghoul of a performance, seems older, seedier, more used up than he did back when Sam Mendes' you-are-there environmental staging of the 1966 Kander/Ebb masterwork was so new and dangerous and radical. The exception, alas, is Michelle Williams, making her Broadway and musical debut as Sally Bowles...Her Sally is timid, bland and covered up in costumes that make her seem almost chaste.

Elysa Gardner, USA Today:The real revelation of this Cabaret, though, is its leading lady, the film star Michelle Williams...Williams brings to the role a pained fragility that feels distinctive, and makes Sally's determination to not face either her past or the world crumbling around her especially poignant...It's a star turn that, even in this rich season, is truly unmissable - as is this Cabaret in general.

Dave Quinn, NBC New York: Age has allowed Cumming to mature his character in ways we haven't seen before. His Emcee is more in command now, and when he peers in on the action from the shallows, it feels less observant and more foreboding. And then there's Michelle Williams' stunning and heartbreaking portrayal of nightclub singer Sally Bowles. Williams' voice is lush, for example, but she adds shaky moments to show us that Sally's internal insecurities.

David Finkle, The Huffington Post: The major problem is the accomplished movie star Michelle Williams in her Main Stem bow as Sally Bowles.The singing's not the snag. Just about everything else, starting with her English accent, is. The high point and low point of her performance are the same: her rendition of the title song. Technically, she delivers it extremely well and for her efforts receives sustained applause.

Chris Jones, The Chicago Tribune: Cumming does not kill himself anymore, but there is no demonstrable need. He is, really, the consummate Emcee -- others who take on hosting duties at the Kit Kat Klub invariably copy him -- and his relationship with his delighted audience now arrives with ease...Williams, who makes her Broadway debut as Sally, certainly taps into the fragility of her character...She does not, however, deliver the famous numbers with the force (or tonal quality) of a great Broadway singer, which she is not.

Toby Zinman, The Philadelphia Inquirer: Alan Cumming's dazzling Emcee is at first comic, leading us on a louche pansexual romp through the decadence of Berlin during the Weimar years. Michelle Williams, lovely as she is, is the weak link in this big strong cast. She seems neither desperate nor outrageous nor self-mocking, as Sally Bowles needs to be, and even in her huge rendition of the show's title song, she seems to be trying too hard, too rehearsed, too controlled, too humorless.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2612840/Michelle-Williams-poses-Cabaret-opening-night-party-performance-receives-tepid-reviews.html#ixzz307aVvjwZ

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."