Author Topic: All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara  (Read 71050 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
All things Easter, Spring Solstice, Passover, or Ostara
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:16:08 pm »
Kind of surprises me.  ???

Anyway, I was thinking about this today because my dad and I had our own Easter dinner today, no feasting with the cousins as for various reasons it wasn't convenient today. We had ham, which my dad cleverly put in his slow-cooker before we left for early church, so by noon it was ready to eat. We had baked potatoes and mixed vegetables and bread-and-butter, and two desserts, strawberries in milk, and cookies.

Ham is the traditional Easter dinner where I come from. It's not just my family; it seems to be a common Pennsylvania German tradition. Today I got to wondering whether the ancestors developed that tradition in the New World or brought it with them from the Fatherland. And why ham? I'm aware that some people have lamb, and in its own way, lamb makes more sense to me than ham. If there is a practical reason for ham, rather than lamb, it's escaping me now.

I'm wondering, too, if there isn't possibly a darker reason for ham. Easter frequently occurs about the same time as Passover, and eating pig meat in Passover season would certainly separate one from the Jews.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 04:48:24 pm by Front-Ranger »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: We've never had a thread about Easter dinner, or Passover, or Ostara
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »
The reason is because this forum (The Holiday Forum) was typically archived in January and then brought out again in November. But recently it's been available year-round. You're welcome to start a thread and, to quote the jolly pastor, "If you don't, I will!"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »
You're welcome to start a thread and, to quote the jolly pastor, "If you don't, I will!"

Uh, well, I think I just did. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:26:35 am »
Uh, well, I think I just did. ...

Yes, you did, and it's a good idea!

Since it's Easter Monday and thus a public holiday over here, Easter is not over yet. And Passover is also still on. So:

Happy Spring Festivities to all BetterMostians!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:37:29 am »
I've never heard about ham being traditional on Easter, Jeff. Which of course doesn't mean that it's not typical in other parts of Germany.
To be honest, there is no typical Easter-dish that I know of. Maybe lamb-roast or roast hare would count as such. In general, a roast of any kind of meat is often made on Easter.
Culinary-wise more traditional is Good Friday. On Good Friday you eat fish, period.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:54:11 am »
Another custom came to my mind: on Gründonnerstag (Holy Thursday; literally: Green Thursday) it's traditional to eat spinach, eggs sunny-side-up and potatoes. We always did this at my parents', but my family doesn't keep this tradition.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:31:33 am »
Good Friday we have salmon. That is a tradition in my moms family and I keep that going. Potatoes, a gravy with lemon and a gravy with chopped eggs, salad and white wine. yummy!  :P

Saturday it's eggs, salmon, lamb, more like a small smorgasbord,(buffé). And candy......lots and lots of candy!!  ;D

Sunday we had tacos - because my daughter wanted!  8) And candy.....

Today, also a holiday in Sweden - it's tortellini. Because it's good!  ::) And candy....

Tomorrow, leftover's....and NO MORE CANDY!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:42:31 am »
If you google "Why do we eat ham at Easter" you'll find a few different sites that list a few different reasons, but they all state that the main dish to serve at Easter is lamb.

My family are not big lamb eaters.  We had some ham, garlic potatos, corn and then a mix of Italian foods, spaghetti, meatballs, sausage.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:39:14 am »
In Sweden we have a tradition. Not very religious one. But it occurs once a year on Easter Eve. Kids dress up as Easter witches and figures. Walk around the neighbourhood, give away drawings for candy or money in return. I have done this as a kid myself and kids still do it today. Don't ask me why? Or the connection with Jesus, still a mystery to me.

Sometimes the tradition continues to be a big part of your adult life...I must say for me it was a long time ago.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:10 am »

Oh. Even with the make-up, this young fella is cute!  :D