Author Topic: Out In The Dark  (Read 13166 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Out In The Dark
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:22:42 pm »
Rented this on Amazon last night and watched it, and again this morning.  This is a different kind of “gay film”, with a lot more substance beyond just the “am I straight or am I gay?” theme.  

Set in Ramallah & Tel Aviv, it’s a love story but also a thriller that kept my attention & interest to the very end.  And let me just say if you had to choose to be gay in a German police force or in Ramallah, take Gregor Limpinski from Free Fall every time.  The people shown here, even their own families, do not fuck around about feelings, and "born this way".

It got excellent reviews across the board, it's at 7.6 on IMDb.  I cried at this one more than once, it's very emotional, and you don't know what's going to happen.  I definitely think it's worth a look.  Language: Hebrew, Arabic w/English subtitles.

I like Tim Isaac’s movie reviews, so this is his take on Out In the Dark, from the Big Gay Picture Show.com.  I'll post the trailer and pics if I can.

When I’m reviewing gay-themed films, I sometimes feel I’m using the word ‘forgive’ too much. With many of these films you can see there’s a lot that’s good about them, but you have to forgive the acting, the low-budget (and resulting picture or sound issues), the shaky direction or slightly unfinished script. It’s always great then when you find a gay-themed film that’s just a good movie, and Out In The Dark certainly fits in that category.

Nimr (Nicholas Jacob) is a young Palestinian student who illegally sneaks out of Ramallah to go to a gay club in Tel Aviv. There he meets Jewish lawyer Roy (Michael Aloni). The two have a spark, but with Nimr coming from the other side of the Israeli-Palestinian divide, he’s not sure whether they should have any sort of relationship. However they eventually begin to see one another, helped by the fact Nimr gets a pass allowing him to legally enter Tel Aviv to go to university.

While Nimr and Roy fall deeply in love, the world around them is determined to make things difficult. Nimr’s family is deeply homophobic and so he has to hide this side of himself, especially from his older brother, who has become involved with violent Palestinian militants. Quite how dangerous this is comes home to Nimr when the Israeli security forces deport a gay man living in Tel Aviv back to Ramallah. The man is almost immediately rounded up and killed by the Palestinian militants, both for being a possible collaborator and for being gay (which get mixed up together as being gay immediately make someone vulnerable to being blackmailed into collaboration so their secret isn’t revealed to their family).

It’s not just tough on the Palestinian side, as Roy’s parents are ambivalent about their son dating an Arab, while the security forces begin to see Nimr as somebody they can use, irrespective of the fact the young man just wants to study and be with Roy. As increasing pressure is heaped on Nimr from both sides of the divide, it’s not just his relationship with Roy that comes under threat, but his life.

Out In The Dark handles itself extremely well, creating a wonderful sense of romance and intimacy between Roy and Nimr, which ensures you’re pulled into in their romance. It sets up a scenario where neither of them really cares about the other’s background, sometimes to the point of naiveté, even if everyone around them cares an awful lot.

Review continues at this link

http://www.biggaypictureshow.com/bgps/2013/10/dark-dvd/
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

Re: Out In The Dark
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »
Michael Aloni plays Jewish lawyer Roy

Offline morrobay

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:33:47 pm »
Nicholas Jacob is Nimr Mashrawi

Offline morrobay

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:35:58 pm »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:16 pm »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 02:43:23 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:45:54 am »
Oh, looks very good!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:42:12 am »
Yes, it's very good.  I think it's the only movie I've seen where the relationship between the men is important, but not the main focus.  The fact that they're gay takes precedence over the romantic aspect, because of the political ramifications.  It's like any other movie with a suspenseful storyline, except that the love interests are gay.

I thought this was an interesting comment in the review by The Independent Critic:

Out in the Dark had its premiere at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival and has now been picked up by Breaking Glass Pictures for a VOD and theatrical release on September 24th, 2013. The film, while capturing the honesty and attraction of the relationship between Nimir and Roy, is a tense thriller in which Mayer pulls no punches in portraying the truth of attempting to live and love as oneself in a culture with strict rules and expectations and consequences when one goes outside those rules and expectations.  

Out in the Dark isn't necessarily a film that will always be "enjoyed," but enjoyment is far from the only reason to see a film. It's an important film with universal themes that carry with them an unforgettable emotional resonance. While on a certain level the film is a love story, the truth is it is far more about Nimr and his life and love journey. It is, perhaps, most easily compared to Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain yet it is a less poetic and stylish film as Mayer chooses authenticity over symbolism amidst the same struggles with very real cultural norms. A more appropriate comparison might be 2009's deeply moving Eyes Wide Open.

http://theindependentcritic.com/out_in_the_dark

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 10:31:33 am »
Yes.  I enjoyed  "Out in the Dark" a while back.  Wasn't sure if I should bring it up after "Handsome Harry"  ;D  

Spot on are your comments.  The film encircles the wrath of Israeli and Palestinian family conflicts which is only intensified by the two men and the location! 

The film is very well done - no potholes.  

It is tough to watch and requires more than one viewing with the subtitles. 

The ending makes my skin crawl.  Discuss only with full spoilers ON!  Cheers, V.

How do you hide when you are running from yourself?