Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022262 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #410 on: December 02, 2007, 12:10:49 am »
I just saw a sweet little Canadian gay film called Breakfast With Scot about a gay couple who suddenly find themselves taking care of an 11 year boy who happens to be gayer than gay.  We're talking feather boas and show tunes gay.  It has a TV movie feel to it but it's so endearing that you can't help but love it.

It caused a bit of controversy because one of the "parents" played by Tom Cavanagh (of the TV show Ed) plays a sports caster who used to play for the Maple Leafs and the NHL gave the filmmakers full support so they were able to use the team's logos etc.  Of course that upset the usual (Christian) idiots, mostly American btw.

For the trailer: http://www.caprifilms.com/breakfastwithscot/index.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910847/

Offline BelAir

« Reply #411 on: December 02, 2007, 12:19:08 am »
tom cavanagh is a cutey patootie.  I liked him in Ed.  He was also in some horror movie recently that I didn't think I would be able to stomach watching... and I certainly haven't tried to do so.  I will add Breakfast with Scot to my list though!
 ;)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #412 on: December 02, 2007, 09:05:06 am »
I think I saw a preview for that movie, oilgun, and it looked like a fun one. I'll watch out for it.

I guess I am missing the connection about why people would be upset that the NHL cooperated? The NHL isn't supposed to be supportive of movies with a gay theme or something? Huh?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #413 on: December 02, 2007, 09:25:42 am »
The NHL isn't supposed to be supportive of movies with a gay theme or something? Huh?

L
That's exactly it, they accuse the NHL of promoting homosexuality:

Christian Activists Campaign Against Yet-Unfinished Movie
12 February 2007 (StudioBriefing)
The upcoming indie movie Breakfast With Scot, which tells the story of two gay men -- one of whom is a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team -- who are raising an eccentric 11-year-old boy, is already arousing controversy even before its release, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday. Bernadette Mansur, the NHL's senior vice president for communications, indicated that the protests are being spearheaded by Christian activist James Hartline, who claims to be a former homosexual. Although he has not seen the movie, he has called it "degrading" and accused the NHL of "promoting homosexualization of small children" and "becoming a willing partner with the fringe elements of the radicalized homosexual agenda and their ultimate goal of worldwide sexual anarchy." In Canada itself, Brian Rushfeldt of Canada Family Action Coalition charged that the Maple Leafs are "underwriting homosexuality. ... I don't think it does much for the image of the NHL amongst families who may want their children involved in hockey." Mansur insisted, however, that the NHL "didn't intend to make a statement one way or another about homosexuals" and that the film merely tells "a story of a contemporary American family that exists today."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910847/news

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #414 on: December 02, 2007, 09:34:20 am »
Oh, for Pete's sake. All the more reason for me to seek out this movie!

I am assuming in the last line it is is typo and should be NHL, not NFL.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #415 on: December 02, 2007, 09:49:02 am »
Oh, for Pete's sake. All the more reason for me to seek out this movie!

I am assuming in the last line it is is typo and should be NHL, not NFL.

I corrected it.  Strangely enough I made the same typo when I wrote my original post, but then, I was always a bit like Scot myself NHL, NFL , it's all the same to me :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #416 on: December 02, 2007, 07:26:18 pm »
I corrected it.  Strangely enough I made the same typo when I wrote my original post, but then, I was always a bit like Scot myself NHL, NFL , it's all the same to me :laugh:

Yes, but you are a Canadian, no? Ordinarily I would agree with you, but as a Canadian, you are required to have hockey on the brain, at least during the winter months!!

So, where's the movie about the gay hockey players??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2007, 08:09:16 pm »
Yes, but you are a Canadian, no? Ordinarily I would agree with you, but as a Canadian, you are required to have hockey on the brain, at least during the winter months!!

So, where's the movie about the gay hockey players??

The movie with the gay hockey player is Breakfast with Scot mentioned above.
I know that not knowing or caring about ice hockey makes me a bad Canadian  :(  I can't help it.  It was probably a rebellion thing, often kids reject tghe things that are so important to their parents.  My father loved both Hockey and CFL football.  To this day the sound of a game on TV, of either sport,  brings back feelings of inadequacy and of being my father's big disappointment.  Eww!

Anyway, maybe if the uniform was a bit more revealing and hockey players had been more like Jiri of the Leafs (shown with impressive tongue, below, partying with a friend), I would have had more of an interest in the game:

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #418 on: December 03, 2007, 02:41:24 pm »
The film I had been looking forward to the most this holiday season is THERE WILL BE BLOOD.    It's loosely based on Upton Sinclair's book titled OIL.  I saw the trailer for the first time Saturday and it looked very intense.  Daniel Day Lewis performance from what I've read, may just overwhelm the movie.  He plays a ruthless oil tycoon. Some are comparing it with CITIZEN KANE. 

I really like Daniel Day Lewis.  The director is Paul Anderson who did MAGNOLIA and BOOGIE NIGHTS.  I think he's quite talented.  I do hope the film lives up to expectations. So many disappointments last holiday season.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #419 on: December 03, 2007, 04:03:46 pm »
The film I had been looking forward to the most this holiday season is THERE WILL BE BLOOD.    It's loosely based on Upton Sinclair's book titled OIL.  I saw the trailer for the first time Saturday and it looked very intense.  Daniel Day Lewis performance from what I've read, may just overwhelm the movie.  He plays a ruthless oil tycoon. Some are comparing it with CITIZEN KANE. 

I really like Daniel Day Lewis.  The director is Paul Anderson who did MAGNOLIA and BOOGIE NIGHTS.  I think he's quite talented.  I do hope the film lives up to expectations. So many disappointments last holiday season.

That looks so amazing!  Just from the trailer I'm tempted to put my money on DDL for winning Best Actor!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:34:49 pm by oilgun »