Author Topic: Gustavo Santaolalla Wins Public Choice/World Soundtrack Awards  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Gustavo Santaolalla Wins Public Choice/World Soundtrack Awards
« on: October 22, 2006, 03:19:34 am »
LONDON -- Alberto Iglesias swept the board at the World Soundtrack Awards Saturday, clinching composer and soundtrack for the music he wrote for "The Constant Gardener."

The awards were presented at a special ceremony during the Flanders Intl. Film Festival in Ghent.

Gustavo Santaolalla won the Public Choice Award for his Oscar-winning "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack and Evanthia Reboutsika was named Discovery of 2006 for the music of "My Father & My Son."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117952008.html?categoryid=16&cs=1

The song "Our Town" from pic "Cars" by Randy Newman and James Taylor was named original song written for film.

A Lifetime Achievement Award went to veteran German composer Peer Raben. He was absent for health reasons, so the actress-singer Ingrid Caven collected it on his behalf.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:31:03 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Gustavo Santaolalla Wins Public Choice/World Soundtrack Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:06:22 am »
The song 'A Love That Will Never Grow Old' was also nominated as best song. Unfortunately it didn't win  :( If there is one song that really captivates the mood and theme of a movie, to me, this one is it.

I'm not surprised that Gustavo won the Public Choice Award, the music is so evocative and at times overwhelming.

The awards were presented at a concert in Ghent, not far from where i live, so I wanted to attend, but no music of the composers that were nominated was on the program  :( , so i didn't go. I would have loved to hear some of the BBM music, performed live.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Gustavo Santaolalla Wins Public Choice/World Soundtrack Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 01:34:03 pm »
The song 'A Love That Will Never Grow Old' was also nominated as best song. Unfortunately it didn't win  :( If there is one song that really captivates the mood and theme of a movie, to me, this one is it.

Yes, Gustavo performed 'A Love That Will Never Grow Old' in NYC.  It was even better, if you can believe it, to hear it sung by a man and with so much love and feeling.  For me, it was the high/most emotional point of the night.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."