Author Topic: The Atheist Thread, Cont'd.  (Read 16402 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
The Atheist Thread, Cont'd.
« on: October 22, 2006, 11:18:46 am »
For some reason, I can no longer access the thread "Atheists: Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are."  My browser freezes if I try to post in it.

So I'm starting a new one, which I'm treating as a continuation of the first, beginning with a marvelous (and thought-provoking) Op-Ed piece from Sam Harris.

Enjoy.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Atheist Thread, Cont'd.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:19:12 am »

Do We Really Need Bad Reasons To Be Good?
The Boston Globe
By Sam Harris | October 22, 2006

THE MIDTERM elections are fast approaching, and their outcome could well be determined by the "moral values” of conservative Christians. While this possibility is regularly bemoaned by liberals, the link between religion and morality in our public life is almost never questioned. One of the most common justifications one hears for religious faith, from all points on the political spectrum, is that it provides a necessary framework for moral behavior. Most Americans appear to believe that without faith in God, we would have no durable reasons to treat one another well. The political version of this morality claim is that our country was founded on "Judeo-Christian principles,” the implication being that without these principles we would have no way to write just laws.

It is, of course, taboo to criticize a person’s religious beliefs. The problem, however, is that much of what people believe in the name of religion is intrinsically divisive, unreasonable, and incompatible with genuine morality. The truth is that the only rational basis for morality is a concern for the happiness and suffering of other conscious beings. This emphasis on the happiness and suffering of others explains why we don’t have moral obligations toward rocks. It also explains why (generally speaking) people deserve greater moral concern than animals, and why certain animals concern us more than others. If we show more sensitivity to the experience of chimpanzees than to the experience of crickets, we do so because there is a relationship between the size and complexity of a creature’s brain and its experience of the world.

Unfortunately, religion tends to separate questions of morality from the living reality of human and animal suffering. Consequently, religious people often devote immense energy to so-called "moral” questions—such as gay marriage—where no real suffering is at issue, and they will inflict terrible suffering in the service of their religious beliefs.

Consider the suffering of the millions of unfortunate people who happen to live in sub-Saharan Africa. The wars in this part of the world are interminable. AIDS is epidemic there, killing around 3 million people each year. It is almost impossible to exaggerate how bad your luck is if you are born today in a country like Sudan. The question is, how does religion affect this problem?

Many pious Christians go to countries like Sudan to help alleviate human suffering, and such behavior is regularly put forward as a defense of Christianity. But in this case, religion gives people bad reasons for acting morally, where good reasons are actually available. We don’t have to believe that a deity wrote one of our books, or that Jesus was born of a virgin, to be moved to help people in need. In those same desperate places, one finds secular volunteers working with organizations like Doctors Without Borders and helping people for secular reasons. Helping people purely out of concern for their happiness and suffering seems rather more noble than helping them because you think the Creator of the universe wants you to do it, will reward you for doing it, or will punish you for not doing it.

But the worst problem with religious morality is that it often causes good people to act immorally, even while they attempt to alleviate the suffering of others. In Africa, for instance, certain Christians preach against condom use in villages where AIDS is epidemic, and where the only information about condoms comes from the ministry. They also preach the necessity of believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ in places where religious conflict between Christians and Muslims has led to the deaths of millions. Secular volunteers don’t spread ignorance and death in this way. A person need not be evil to preach against condom use in a village decimated by AIDS; he or she need only believe a specific faith-based moral dogma. In such cases we can see that religion can cause good people to be much less good than they might otherwise be.

We have to realize that we decide what is good in our religious doctrines. We read the Golden Rule, for instance, and judge it to be a brilliant distillation of many of our ethical impulses. And then we come across another of God’s teachings on morality: If a man discovers that his bride is not a virgin on their wedding night, he must stone her to death on her father’s doorstep (Deuteronomy 22: 13-21). If we are civilized, we will reject this as utter lunacy. Doing so requires that we exercise our own moral intuitions, keeping the real issue of human happiness in view. The belief that the Bible is the word of God is of no help to us whatsoever.

As we consider how to run our own society and how to help people in need, the choice before us is simple: Either we can have a 21st-century conversation about morality and human happiness—availing ourselves of all the scientific insights and philosophical arguments that have accumulated in the last 2,000 years of human discourse—or we can confine ourselves to an Iron Age conversation as it is preserved in our holy books.

Wherever the issue of “moral values” surfaces in our national conversation in the coming weeks, ask yourself which approach to morality is operating. Are we talking about how to best alleviate human suffering? Or are we talking about the whims of an invisible God?

Sam Harris is the author of Letter to a Christian Nation and The End of Faith. He can be reached through his website, www.samharris.org.

email: [email protected]
web: http://www.samharris.org/

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:29:25 am »
Thank you for reviving the thread and for posting the Sam harris piece.

It is, of course, taboo to criticize a person’s religious beliefs. The problem, however, is that much of what people believe in the name of religion is intrinsically divisive, unreasonable, and incompatible with genuine morality.

That is just our dilemma, isn't it? Case in point;

I just got a Jehova's Witness promotional  leaflet in the mail box. Normally that kind of thing would go directly in the trash can without no further glance from me, but this time I figured I'd have a look to see how they present themselves to entirely random people. The leaflet deals with "the end of false religion". And since they according to their own leaflet describe their vision of that particular End based on details in the Book of Revelations (as I think it's called, pardon me for being very wobbly on the English titles of the books of the Bible, that's one thing I've never felt the need to spend much time on learning correctly in English) it's going to be a rather grisly end. And these "false religions", then - what are they? Well, according to the leaflet they are any religion that - just like atheists - want to accept same-sex couples being allowed to marry, and accept gay or lesbian preachers, or tolerate common-law marriages, or show tolerance towards religious leaders who abuse children. Just the mix of stuff in that list makes me shudder in disgust. As if sexual abuse of children is in any way comparable with the rest....!?!  >:(

But that aside, I get so sad and yes, angry at seing someone presenting various types of adult relationships that are in fact normal, humane, completely accepted in this country and entirely legal as "immoral, false and wrong",  insisting that those who support people's obvious rights under humane and decent laws will come to a horrible end. Freedom of belief and freedom of speech are good and necessary, and of necessity also entail people being allowed to go on like they do in this leaflet. But I still find it very difficult to read this. While I fully accept anyone freely and without undue pressure making a decision about how they themselves want to live because they think their God tells them to, why do they always need to actively try to impose their intolerant and inhumane views on others, by means of threats and horror stories, if not by more directly violent means? That is what this leaflet does, or tries to do.  I am offended at unsolicited getting such inhumane propaganda in my mailbox.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 10:35:51 am by Mikaela »

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 10:44:41 am »
While I fully accept anyone freely and without undue pressure making a decision about how they themselves want to live because they think their God tells them to, why do they always need to actively try to impose their intolerant and inhumane views on others, by means of threats and horror stories, if not by more directly violent means?

Because they believe that's what god tells them to do.  As Harris points out in his book "The End of Faith," their actions -- even piloting planes into buildings -- are rational if they take their holy book literally.

This is why Harris, Richard Dawkins and many others (including me) view all religious dogma as a major cause of evil.

But even fundamentalists experience atheism when they consider Thor or Zeus.  Once upon a time, societies believed in the reality of these gods, but came to realize they were better understood as Myth.

We can  hope that people of today will come to the same realization.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:16:18 am »
Because they believe that's what god tells them to do.

I guess that's one of the main contradiction in terms that I struggle with when trying to understand the concept of religion and to understand people who do truly believe in a God; that they can be so convinced that their God is all-powerful and yet be equally certain that they have to act on his behalf, that he in fact needs them to do so.  ???

I'd sincerely wish they'd leave the action and judgement and missionary work and whatever else to their omnipotent God and not be so eager to do his job for him, especially since they have to base their work on interpretations of millenia-old ambiguous texts. (I know that won't ever happen, of course, long as religion is and remains mainly a tool of power politics and not just a question of spirituality between each person and their conscience.)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:59:22 pm »
Mikaela,

You and I share of lot of opinions on this matter.  I think you'd enjoy reading "The End of Faith," or his much shorter "Letter to a Christian Nation" just released.

Imp

injest

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 07:47:03 pm »
I guess that's one of the main contradiction in terms that I struggle with when trying to understand the concept of religion and to understand people who do truly believe in a God; that they can be so convinced that their God is all-powerful and yet be equally certain that they have to act on his behalf, that he in fact needs them to do so.  ???

I'd sincerely wish they'd leave the action and judgement and missionary work and whatever else to their omnipotent God and not be so eager to do his job for him, especially since they have to base their work on interpretations of millenia-old ambiguous texts. (I know that won't ever happen, of course, long as religion is and remains mainly a tool of power politics and not just a question of spirituality between each person and their conscience.)

see here is the danger. If you KNOW that God is going to cast that person over there into the 'pit' then it is not a far step to think...well I don't have to like or be cordial to that person...even God wants to hurt them.

and from there it is a small step to ...that person is not a real person not a person like me...if I hurt them..well I am just doing what God wants to do!!

and from there to...I am a warrior of God! here to deliver punishment on his behalf!

Lort, when I think of all the hate crimes commited by these religious nuts (or their kids) ....

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:58:17 pm »
Amen <chuckle>  :laugh:

I would more accurately describe myself as a disbelieving agnostic.  I don't think God exists, but I'll admit I cannot prove that.  I've wasted too much time in philosophical word-games to claim any absolute.
The only way for religious groups to protect their freedom is to accept a secular state.

Right now in the UK we're facing down the first wave of Intelligent Design, this time dressed up as the Campaign for Truth in Science.  It's going to prove an interesting time...
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:47:51 am »
Here's an excerpt from Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion" (2006) that I found thought-provoking.  It begins a chapter that examines the claim that morality must come from religion.

"There are two ways in which scripture might be a source of morals or rules for living.  One is by direct instruction, for example through the Ten Commandments, which are the subject of such bitter contention in the culture wars of America's boondocks.  The other is by example:  God, or some other biblical character, might serve as -- to use the contemporary jargon -- a role model.  Both scriptural routes, if followed through religiously (the adverb is used in its metaphoric sense but with an eye to its origin), encourage a system of morals which any civilized modern person, whether religious or not, would find -- I can put it no more gently -- obnoxious.

To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries.  This may explain some of the sheer strangeness of the Bible.  But unfortunately it is this same weird volume that religious zealots hold up to us as the inerrant source of our morals and rules for living.  Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it, as Bishop John Shelby Spong, in The Sins of Scripture, rightly observed."

The chapter then continues with stories from the Bible, to show just how 'weird' they are.  He begins with Noah and the Ark, but his analysis includes the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, which is the basis of religious morality on subjects of concern to us, such as the "sin" of homosexuality.

If there's any interest, I'll excerpt that analysis in a separate post.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:47 pm »
Here's an excerpt from Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion" (2006) that I found thought-provoking.  It begins a chapter that examines the claim that morality must come from religion.

"There are two ways in which scripture might be a source of morals or rules for living.  One is by direct instruction, for example through the Ten Commandments, which are the subject of such bitter contention in the culture wars of America's boondocks.  The other is by example:  God, or some other biblical character, might serve as -- to use the contemporary jargon -- a role model.  Both scriptural routes, if followed through religiously (the adverb is used in its metaphoric sense but with an eye to its origin), encourage a system of morals which any civilized modern person, whether religious or not, would find -- I can put it no more gently -- obnoxious.

To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries.  This may explain some of the sheer strangeness of the Bible.  But unfortunately it is this same weird volume that religious zealots hold up to us as the inerrant source of our morals and rules for living.  Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it, as Bishop John Shelby Spong, in The Sins of Scripture, rightly observed."

The chapter then continues with stories from the Bible, to show just how 'weird' they are.  He begins with Noah and the Ark, but his analysis includes the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, which is the basis of religious morality on subjects of concern to us, such as the "sin" of homosexuality.

If there's any interest, I'll excerpt that analysis in a separate post.

He put it very succinctly during his interview on Point of Inquiry (I'm hooked on that podcast thanx to you Imp) that if our morality still came from the Bible, we'd still be stoning people for adultery and cutting people's hands off for stealing. We don't do those things any more because we know that the Bible is not a good basis for morality.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.