Author Topic: On Caregiving  (Read 270951 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: On Caregiving
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2016, 12:03:13 am »
I'm thinking maybe I should keep my mouth shut more often. After taking my mom to her latest teeth cleaning appointment, I made some offhand remark about how she needs to keep her remaining teeth because that's the only thing her false teeth can attach to (she doesn't have enough jaw bone left to attach false teeth to). Later that same evening, her false teeth mysteriously disappeared. After ransacking her apartment and putting out an all-points-bulletin to the staff, we had to conclude that they had somehow disappeared in the trash.

Then, a couple of days ago, I asked mom how she was coming along with the exercises that the physical therapist had assigned her. "Oh I haven't been doing them," she said. "Why?" I asked. "I just didn't feel like it." she answered. So I said that if she didn't do her exercises, I wasn't going to take her to my house for events or to my daughter's or anywhere, because it was just too much work to try to get her in and out of the car and to the location, etc. She looked thoughtful. So, today, I dropped by to give her some things she had requested and she says, "Someone took the exercises out of my room." I looked everywhere and they were nowhere to be found. Must. Keep. Mouth. Shut.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2016, 09:02:15 am »
(((Lee)))

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2016, 10:53:01 pm »
Thank you, dear friend.  :-*

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2016, 09:06:30 am »
Hope she becomes more cooperative soon!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2016, 09:24:48 am »
That's too bad about her false teeth.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2016, 11:05:49 am »
I'm going to have to talk to the home where she lives about not taking away her trash. It's another thing I'm going to have to take on myself.  :P

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2016, 11:52:31 am »
Yeah, that may be a smart thing to do.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2016, 04:25:09 pm »
Just two days after I took mom in for her final fitting on her new false teeth, the old dentures were found. The cleaning lady was cleaning under the sink in her kitchenette, behind the pipes, and found them pushed back next to the wall. Amazing! I asked mom how they could have gotten there and she didn't have a clue.

I have a theory of how this happened and I'll tell you if anybody's interested. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep the spare teeth for safekeeping.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2016, 04:56:50 pm »
Just two days after I took mom in for her final fitting on her new false teeth, the old dentures were found. The cleaning lady was cleaning under the sink in her kitchenette, behind the pipes, and found them pushed back next to the wall. Amazing! I asked mom how they could have gotten there and she didn't have a clue.

I have a theory of how this happened and I'll tell you if anybody's interested. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep the spare teeth for safekeeping.

Oh, do tell!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2016, 05:41:04 pm »
I fancy that I'm being Sherlock here, and you know what he said that, when every theory that proves false is stripped away, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. So, I'm guessing that after mom lost her teeth and everybody was looking all over for them and I started taking away her trash and inspecting it, she found her teeth somewhere. She decided to hide them where nobody could find them. But the cleaning lady did, and since the cleaning lady knew about it, she couldn't just hide them again. This is a symptom of dementia; poor decision making and wanting to cover up any flaws.