Author Topic: S.O.S. Christmas gifts  (Read 19644 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
S.O.S. Christmas gifts
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:01:06 pm »
Help!

I need some ideas for Christmas gifts for FOUR female coworkers.

I won't mind if I don't get them to them until after New Year's, because with vacations and so forth I'm just about out of time--supervisor is out from Friday through Jan. 2, inclusive, for example--but I have always been lousy at coming up with ideas for Christmas gifts.

I returned to the office this morning to find a gift from my supervisor and two of my three team mates, so I ought to do something.

Thanks, friends!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: S.O.S. Christmas gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:35:04 pm »
Well, an idea has come to me.

A vendor at farmers' market sells all kinds of candles made of beeswax. Perhaps if I can find them each a beeswax candle, perhaps in a jar, that might do the job.

Of course, the weather is supposed to be bad early this Saturday.  >:(

But I'm open to other suggestions.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:37:17 pm »
I think you're on the right track with the candles, friend. If you want to further refine the idea, I would suggest giving them a scented candle. (Aside: Have you noticed the surge in "gifting" rather than "giving"? We have so many wonderful verbs, why do we have to force nouns into doing the job, too?)

Scented candles are available in the traditional kind with a wick and also the LED version. A problem with candles is that you have to babysit them. You typically can't walk out of a room that has a candle burning unless it's an LED. Also, a scented candle will perfume a room even if it's not lit. To go even further, there are these things called scent diffusers. There is a heat source underneath that is like a cup warmer and a tray in which you can put soy wax infused with essential oils. These are divine. I keep one in my bathroom at all times and in addition to the soy wax I sprinkle in herbs, spices, lemon leaves and blossoms, sage, etc.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 12:12:34 am »
Thanks, FRiend! Good thoughts!

I think I'm inclined to shy away from scented things, unless something presumably innocuous, like, maybe, vanilla, or perhaps something that smells like an apple pie, maybe, because some people are sensitive to scents, or just plain don't like them, and I don't know the two new colleagues that well just yet.

I have something similar to your scent diffuser in my kitchen, a gift from a cousin a few years ago. It plugs into a wall outlet (it has an on-off switch), and you put little squares of some waxy stuff in the cup on top, and the heat melts the waxy stuff and makes my whole living r00m-dining room-kitchen smell apples and cinnamon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 01:25:08 am »
I like the idea of beeswax candles.  They're a natural product and they're pretty with their combs.

Another idea, though I'm not sure if it's practical for you, is to make a batch of Christmas cookies just for them and put it into a nice jar or box for each.

And BTW, what a great idea for a thread. Not just SOS prezzies, but in general to have a place to ask for gift advice! :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:20:23 am »
I like the idea of beeswax candles.  They're a natural product and they're pretty with their combs.

Another idea, though I'm not sure if it's practical for you, is to make a batch of Christmas cookies just for them and put it into a nice jar or box for each.

And BTW, what a great idea for a thread. Not just SOS prezzies, but in general to have a place to ask for gift advice! :)

Thanks, Chrissi! I think cookies can be a nice present; while I haven't baked in years, I have a recipe for great molasses cookies!  :laugh:  That's something else I think I need to stay away from in this particular instance because of the time factor, and, also, my supervisor stays away from/doesn't eat sugary things, so that sort of rules out cookies or candies.  :-\

I guess it can be tough to come up with gift ideas for people you don't know that well.

Christmas ornaments might be another idea. I might also be able to find some hand-crafted things at farmers' market tomorrow.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 03:45:33 pm »
Of course, another thing for me to consider is that I have to take public transportation to work, so I need to get four gifts that will be easily transported on the bus or subway along with my lunch and anything else I need to bring with me.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 04:45:15 pm »
I just went through this exercise with EDelMar; he wanted ideas for gifts for the caretakers of the Sphinx Observatory in Switzerland. One of the most challenging assignments I've ever had!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »
On my way to the supermarket, I pass a shop with lots of Christmas ornaments hanging in the window. Ornaments might be another possibility.

I checked this evening, and I need at least one more small gift bag.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 12:37:08 am »
...Aside: Have you noticed the surge in "gifting" rather than "giving"? We have so many wonderful verbs, why do we have to force nouns into doing the job, too?)

And, presto, NPR has also noticed this gifting/giving silliness. A story ensues. http://www.npr.org/2016/12/16/505892906/the-season-of-gifting-the-rise-of-gift-as-a-verb