Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779590 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

by blue night

ZWISCHEN IMMER UND NIE
BETWEEN ALWAYS AND NEVER
L A T E R

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by blue night
http://camikoz.tumblr.com/

The bookseller had ordered two copies of Standhal's Armance, one a paperback edition and one an expensive hardbound. An impulse made me say I'd take both and put them on my father's bill. I then asked his assistant for a pen, opened up the hardbound edition, and wrote, Zwischen Immer und Nie, for you in silence, somewhere in Italy in the mid-eighties.

In years to come, if the book was still in his possession, I wanted him to ache. Better yet, I wanted someone to look through his books one day, open up this little volume of Armance, and ask, Tell me who was in silence, somewhere in Italy in the mid-eighties?  And then I'd want him to feel something as darting as sorrow and fiercer than regret, maybe even pity for me, because in the bookstore that morning I'd have taken pity too, if pity was all he had to give, if pity could have made him put an arm around me, and underneath this surge of pity and regret, hovering like a vague, erotic undercurrent that was years in the making, I wanted him to remember the morning on Monet's berm when I'd kissed him not the first but the second time and given him my spit in his mouth because I so desperately wanted him in mine.

He said something about the gift being the best thing he'd received all year. I shrugged my shoulders to make light of perfunctory gratitude. Perhaps I just wanted him to repeat it.

"I'm glad, then. I just want to thank you for this morning." And before he even thought of interrupting, I added, "I know. No speeches. Ever."

Call Me By Your Name  by André Aciman
Recited/Narrated by Armie Hammer

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:59:43 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-01-28/entertainment/0701270231_1_elio-andre-aciman-oliver
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-01-28/entertainment/0701270231_1_elio-andre-aciman-oliver/2

A tale of longing
and
conflicted feelings

Homosexual affair is book's emotional focus
By Art Winslow
January 28, 2007

André Aciman

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
By André Aciman
Farrar Straus Giroux. 248 pp. $23

In "Death in Venice," describing his main character's obsession with a lissome boy he has observed, Thomas Mann wrote that "in his infatuation, he wanted simply to pursue uninterrupted the object that aroused him, to dream of it when it was not there, and, after the fashion of lovers, to speak softly to its mere outline."

That is very much the affective atmosphere of André Aciman's "Call Me by Your Name," something of the Mann story in reverse, in which the narrator relates in later life his desire as an adolescent to secure--what?--his own desire, his aesthetic and romantic longing, in the person of a slightly older man, a house guest at his family's compound in Italy.

In the most basic sense, "Call Me by Your Name" is a coming-into-homosexual-awareness novel that shares commonalities with works by Edmund White, David Leavitt, Tom Spanbauer and many others. Yet that is a compromising view if considered exclusively, for even though Elio, the narrator, tells us early on that "I had wanted other men my age before and had slept with women," much else in the book argues toward ambivalence and the impetuousness of youth as complicating motivational factors.

Then, too, in its Mann-like focus on artistic sensibilities and its obvious playing with Romantic versus romantic inclinations, "Call Me by Your Name" is a meditation on the tenuous and sometimes evanescent underpinnings of desire, almost irrespective of its object. Elio is 17 during much of the recalled action and has mixed responses to the fleeting sexual contacts in his overall engagement with Oliver, the 24-year-old academic who takes up residence with Elio's family to work on an Italian translation of a book he has written. (Elio's father is a well-known professor who sponsors one such guest every summer, to help with their academic advancement.)

Additionally, Elio is recalling a summer fling from a vantage point 20 years on, and while those weeks form the emotional center of the book, he and Oliver went on to lead very separate lives. Elio, and apparently Oliver, had physical relations with young women, too, that summer, and the young men's approach-avoidance behavior toward each other called into question the meaning and context of their feelings, leaving an uneasy residue the succeeding years did little to abate. Elio wished to clear the air at the time but was told by Oliver," `we can't talk about such things. We really can't.' "

It has reached the point where Elio must talk about such things, though, and Aciman, cleverly, has made this account a separate telling from the diary Elio kept at the time, which is referenced occasionally and allows the author to compare two Elios, the present mind and past mind. Readers may remember the book that first brought Aciman attention as a writer, the memoir "Out of Egypt," a chronicle of his Jewish family's arrival in and eventual exit from Alexandria. Aciman is across the Mediterranean here, in his first novel, but a Diasporic sense remains, as Elio relates that his family "were not conspicuous Jews" but rather " `Jews of discretion,' to use my mother's words." When Elio spots Oliver wearing a Star of David on a gold chain, he reflects that outside the family, Oliver "was probably the only other Jew who had ever set foot in B."

Reference to towns like "B." and "N." are as specific as Elio's shorthand gets geographically, but we are near the site of Percy Bysshe Shelley's drowning (the early death of a Romantic), which means the bay of Spezia, in Liguria, northwestern Italy. "Cor cordium" ("heart of hearts") is inscribed on Shelley's gravestone, and the concept itself serves as a leitmotif in Aciman's novel, which is literary in its narrative style and its allusions to other writers. Not only is Dante quoted, but in a haphazard, circuitous night in Rome worthy of "La Dolce Vita," Elio runs into a Dante street performer (who is brawling with a Nefertiti impersonator).

Elio also reads Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi (another Romantic) and German-Jewish poet Paul Celan (another drowning), and comes to think of his connection to Oliver in Celanian phrasing: "Zwischen Immer und Nie. Between always and never." His late-adolescent voice is confessional and engaging, realistically self-contradictory, too, as his feelings frequently jackknife to become their own opposite hours later. Even his consort takes a jab at what Elio refers to as his "operatic sentimentalism."

The book of Oliver's that is being translated into Italian is on Heraclitus, the 6th Century B.C. philosopher who, loosely, saw the world as opposites replacing each other in transformational changes--a point of view that ties directly to themes in "Call Me by Your Name," and even the novel's title. There is cross-dressing here, but it is Elio and Oliver (whose names are virtually anagrams of each other) wearing each other's clothing, and in passion Oliver suggests to Elio, " `Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine.' "

Indeed, Elio meditates on individuals who need to "become so totally ductile that each becomes the other" and concludes that Oliver "was my secret conduit to myself." And he wonders, "Whom else would I ever be able to call by my name" without it being "a derived thrill, an affectation." Talking to his father, an accepting sort whose eyes know what they see when it comes to Oliver and his son, Elio thinks of a quotation from Emily Brontë: " `he's more myself than I am.' "

Probably all loves appear to be unique from the inside. It is a challenge for any writer to convey ardor without risking silliness, but Aciman balances Elio well on his psychic precipice. In his negative moments, Elio "felt queasy, as if I had been sick and needed not just many showers to wash everything off but a bath in mouthwash. . . . It was not him I hated--but the thing we'd done." Desire and shame were "the legacy of youth, the two mascots of my life," he reports.

Descriptions of sexual acts in "Call Me by Your Name" tend to be direct and not elliptical (one scene involving a piece of food might remind some of Philip Roth's "Portnoy's Complaint") but are far from prurient, and while they loom large to Elio in a psychological sense, they do not occupy much of the novel. Elio is a good tour guide, too, with an ability to convey the pleasant torpor of his Italian days, his bike rides into town, his swims, the surround of local characters:

"I loved the afternoons best: the scent of rosemary, the heat, the birds, the cicadas, the sway of palm fronds, the silence that fell like a light linen shawl on an appallingly sunny day. . . . This was my balcony, my world."

Sunny, and yet the coloration of elegy will not fade in whatever illumination Elio can bring to bear on his past. Of visiting a spot in Rome where he and Oliver had been, he relates that it "still resounds with something totally present, as though a heart stolen from a tale by Poe still throbbed under the ancient slate pavement to remind me that, here, I had finally encountered the life that was right for me but had failed to have."

Elio's father may be the wisest character in Aciman's book. He tells his son:

" I don't envy the pain. But I envy you the pain.' "

----------

Art Winslow, a former executive editor and literary editor of The Nation, writes frequently about books and culture.

Also see these other book reviews:

Like so many classic love stories, this one unfolds with the suspense of a thriller. Will Elio's passion ever be reciprocated by the one he worships? If it is, will they leap over fear and taboo to consummate their desire? And if they do, will they be exhilarated or repelled by that consummation? They have only six weeks to find out.

In a first novel that abounds in moments of emotional and physical abandon, this may be the most wanton of his moves: [André Aciman's] narrative, brazenly, refuses to stay closed. It is as much a story of paradise found as it is of paradise lost. (....) Nobody gets clocked with a tire iron. No one betrays the other.

Even the fate of mundanely inanimate things like a ripe peach or a pair of worn bathing trunks become sweetly perverse yet spellbinding in Aciman’s approach of storytelling. Trust me when I say that after reading this book, you will never look at peaches or swimming trunks in the same way ever again.

Ulliva, Ulliva, Ulliva ---it was Oliver calling me by his name
when he'd imitate it's transmogrified sound as spoken by Malfalda
 and Anchise; but it'd also be me calling him by his name as well,
hoping he'd call me back to mine, which I'd speak for him to me,
and back to him: Elio, Elio, Elio.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:21:00 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscar-predictions-2018-academy-awards-1201789008/

2018 Oscar Predictions

With Sundance and Cannes behind us and a ton of high profile movies ahead, Anne Thompson takes a look at this year's Oscar contenders. Updated 10/18/2017.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/2018-oscar-predictions-best-adapted-screenplay-1201853697/

2018 Oscar Predictions: Best Adapted Screenplay

Frontrunners:

Scott Frank and James Mangold (“Logan”)
James Ivory (“Call Me By Your Name”)
Angelina Jolie and Loung Ung (“First They Killed My Father”)
Aaron Sorkin (“Molly’s Game”)
Virgil Williams and Dee Rees (“Mudbound”)

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscars-2018-best-actor-predictions-1201789016/

2018 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor

Frontrunners:

Timothée Chalamet (“Call Me By Your Name”)
James Franco (“The Disaster Artist”)
Andrew Garfield (“Breathe”)
Jake Gyllenhaal (“Stronger”)
Gary Oldman (“Darkest Hour”)

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscars-2018-best-supporting-actor-predictions-1201789020/

2018 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Frontrunners:

Willem Dafoe (“The Florida Project”)
Ben Mendelsohn (“Darkest Hour”)
Jason Mitchell (“Mudbound”)
Sam Rockwell (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”)
Michael Stuhlbarg (“Call Me By Your Name”)

Contenders:

Steve Carell (“Last Flag Flying”)
Armie Hammer (“Call Me By Your Name”)
Woody Harrelson (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”)
Richard Jenkins (“The Shape of Water”)
Tracy Letts (“Lady Bird”)
Ray Romano (“The Big Sick”)
Mark Rylance (“Dunkirk”)

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscars-2018-best-director-predictions-1201789013/

2018 Oscar Predictions: Best Director

Frontrunners:

Guillermo del Toro (“The Shape of Water”)
Greta Gerwig (“Lady Bird”)
Christopher Nolan (“Dunkirk”)
Denis Villeneuve (“Blade Runner 2049”)
Joe Wright (“Darkest Hour”)

Contenders:

Paul Thomas Anderson (“Phantom Thread”)
Luca Guadagnino (“Call Me By Your Name”)
Patty Jenkins (“Wonder Woman”)
Martin McDonagh (“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”)
Dee Rees (“Mudbound”)
Steven Spielberg (“The Post”)

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscars-2018-best-picture-predictions-1201788999/

2018 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

Frontrunners:

“The Big Sick”
“Blade Runner 2049”
“Call Me By Your Name”
“Darkest Hour”
“Dunkirk”
“Get Out”
“Lady Bird”
“Mudbound”
“The Shape of Water”
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

AND FYI:

elioandoliver
🍑 call me by your name 🍑
( @elioandoliver )

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:59:47 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Wow. Sad and lovely.
(Of course we all loved Bill Paxton too.)

Peter Spears
                                       @pjspears

11:01 AM -  19 Oct 2017
63 Retweets 239 Likes

https://twitter.com/pjspears?lang=en&lang=en
https://twitter.com/pjspears/status/921073857468993536

Many of you have asked about Bill Paxton’s connection to Call Me By Your Name. Please see my response below.  Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:08:57 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
by Dozer Draws

Monet's Berm
(for my dear friend @drawsaurus 🍑 )

sketch commission for @drawsaurus by Dozer Draws 🍑

250 notes  Oct 11th, 2017

#call me by your name  #elio  #oliver  #laterpeaches!
#digital art commission by #dozerdraws
#I'm basically sobbing at my desk
#later!!!

by Dozer Draws

them beautiful peach boys for my dear friend
@drawsaurus 🍑

218 notes  Sept 13, 2017

#call me by your name  #elio  #oliver  #all that peach juice ;0;  
#digital art commission by #dozerdraws
#laterpeaches!

by Dozer Draws

all that peach juice

217 notes  Apr 23rd, 2017

#call me by your name  #all that peach juice ;0;  
#sketch commission  for  #dozerdraws

by cersell.art
                🎠 Mick | 21 | Dutch

fucking precious moments angel baby

Drawn by cersell.art on commission for @drawsaurus  Thank you!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @drawsaurus
                                                                                                drawsaurus.tumblr.com

https://drawsaurus.tumblr.com/

oh jesus i just organised my commissions tag and guys i’ve got a problem
( https://drawsaurus.tumblr.com/tagged/commission )

(MAKING TALENTED PEOPLE DRAW U BEAUTIFUL THINGS IS JUST SO ADDICTIVE)

Fan Art / Digital Art / Drawings /
#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName  #sketch commission  for  #@drawsaurus
#my boys   #my good sweet boys
#Elio  #Oliver  #laterpeaches
#oliver ulliva  #elio perlman  #armie hammer #timothée chalamet
#seriously   #i love this   #just so much
#oliver's HAIR   #his EYELASHES
#the soft nostalgic summer glow of it all   #i love it
#later!!!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Making of #CallMeByYourName: "Summer Loving" in #TotalFilm magazine (Nov 2017) TOTAL FILM UK

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://twitter.com/mellowbeat__

by @mellowbeat__

Two Shirts

(ok, re the last gif, sue me. The billowy shirt of Oliver's that Elio lusts for and finally receives as a
gift-fetish is the blue oxford, not striped, but artist Mellowbeat's artwork is clever and Elio is so lustful!)

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @mellowbeat__

https://twitter.com/mellowbeat__

5:47 AM - 31 Aug 2017

#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName   #Elio #Oliver  #laterpeaches  #🍑
#elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva  #billowy   #shirts
#andré aciman  #armie hammer  #timothée chalamet  #luca guadagnino  
#book   #novel   #film  #movie  #sonyclassics   #lgbt
#art #artwork #artist #illustration

ttps://www.instagram.com/p/BGpNEnkw5uJ/

"So long, Sirmione!" 📸

armiehammer
                                       https://www.instagram.com/armiehammer/
                                       https://www.instagram.com/p/BGpNEnkw5uJ/
                                       Sirmione, Lake Garda
                                       So long, Sirmione! 📸
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:50:44 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Peter Spears‏ @pjspears 7:39 AM - 28 Sep 2017
https://twitter.com/pjspears?lang=en

TBT. BTS Making movies. Italy 2016/1983 Call Me By Your Name

So, after seeing the movie at NYFF last night, I realized that, like Elio, I found that I had been faking being 'adult' for what seemed like years, and that, suddenly, I found myself unable to make my own way home, and, after feeding a gettone into the antiquated telephone, I needed to call Mom and ask her, tearfully, to pick me up from the station near Bergamo.

I also need to see the four hour version of the movie right away, please. Without people who feel it 'necessary' to loudly applaud during the last shot with Timothée staring into the fire just because Luca quietly put the movie title in the lower left of the frame, so no one could hear Sufjan's singing, or figure out his lyrics. Thanks.

my thoughts only
going nowhere

by @erkinaken

"I imagined Elio crying out to Oliver,
begging him to stay with him for the rest of his life.
All those could-have-beens always break me
because they are not to be."

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:38:43 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Yeah, this is one of Oliver's blue oxford shirts (whether long or short-sleeved) that Elio had so longed for/lusted after, and, after having received it as a gift, Elio wore it when he was in the last tearful embrace with Oliver at the train station.

by Nikko Tan
                                @chroniclikerrr
                                @CMBYNFANPAGE

"Camping Out"