Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779560 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

Though their relationship [that of Elio and Oliver] dominates the majority of the second half of the feature, Call Me by Your Name  never feels like a “gay romance movie”, instead presenting itself as a film that celebrates love and sexuality, whoever it happens to be between.  As to be expected Call Me by Your Name  lives and dies on the chemistry between Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet, and the two are simply electric together.  At once certain yet unsure of themselves and each other, neither has complete control of the relationship, and it plays in the film’s favour that, despite appearing the more experienced, Hammer’s Oliver emerges as perhaps the more vulnerable partner; on the mention of Hammer, the actor has never been as good as he is here, exuding a charisma that is intoxicating to witness.

http://iris.theaureview.com/sydney-film-festival-review-call-me-by-your-name-italyusa-2017-is-a-near-flawless-picture-that-celebrates-the-universality-of-love/

SYDNEY FILM FESTIVAL
Sydney Film Festival Review
Call Me by Your Name
IS A NEAR-FLAWLESS PICTURE THAT CELEBRATES THE UNIVERSALITY OF LOVE

by PETER GRAY
JUNE 18, 2017

‘Near-flawless’ ... Michael Stuhlbarg, Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer in Call Me by Your Name

Thoroughly engaging, immensely poignant, and remarkably evocative, Call Me by Your Name  functions as both a coming-of-age tale and a love story, likely to surprise viewers as to where it travels on both accounts.

Based on the novel by André Aciman, and co-penned for the screen by director Luca Guadagnino (A Bigger Splash),  James Ivory (director of such Award-winning productions as A Room With A View, Howards End, and The Remains of the Day ) and editor Walter Fasano, this lush and intense drama tells of 17 year-old Elio (Timothée Chalamet), a curious young man who is in the midst of his first sexual affair with a visiting girl friend during the summer of 1983 Italy.

As comfortable as he is, it’s the arrival of older 20-something American visitor Oliver (Armie Hammer), an academic called to assist Elio’s father (Michael Stuhlbarg) on an archaeological project, that particularly takes his interest, shaking up his views on sexuality and personal attraction in the process.

With a casual demeanour that charms Elio’s parents but rubs the young man the wrong way, Oliver initially earns a cold reception from Elio, something Oliver senses and returns in his own effortless manner.  When Oliver appears to be enjoying the company of multiple local females, Elio can’t help but have his interest piqued, and it’s through their misinterpretations of each other that they acknowledge their feelings for one another.

Though their relationship dominates the majority of the second half of the feature, Call Me by Your Name  never feels like a “gay romance movie”, instead presenting itself as a film that celebrates love and sexuality, whoever it happens to be between.  As to be expected Call Me by Your Name  lives and dies on the chemistry between Hammer and Chalamet, and the two are simply electric together.  At once certain yet unsure of themselves and each other, neither has complete control of the relationship, and it plays in the film’s favour that, despite appearing the more experienced, Hammer’s Oliver emerges as perhaps the more vulnerable partner; on the mention of Hammer, the actor has never been as good as he is here, exuding a charisma that is intoxicating to witness.

Given Guadagnino’s penchant for lush European settings, it’s unsurprising at how utterly gorgeous this film is to look at, not to mention the 1980’s period setting allowing some choice soundtrack cuts, most notably The Psychedelic Furs“Love My Way“, to provide an additive to the film’s erotic nature; offsetting this is musician Sufjan Stevens‘ original song contributions which play into the film’s fairytale-like mentality.

Continuing the significance of mainstream cinema embracing films with gay themes that began with Moonlight earlier this year, Call Me by Your Name,  though likely to resonate stronger with gay viewers, is a near-flawless picture that celebrates the universality of love.

Review Score: FOUR AND A HALF STARS (OUT OF FIVE)

Call Me By Your Name screened as part of Sydney Film Festival, where it was reviewed.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't

Oh! Oh! Oh! This is going to hurt--

I think you're right about that.

Very clever indeed!

• BetterMost Supporter!
Oh! Oh! Oh! This is going to hurt--

I think you're right about that.

Or as the clever Chinese fan video auteur says (or streaming commenters say): "Hammer have a baby... ...crying messy" and "I deserve to scream Too Sad............"

Very clever indeed!

Quite the astute critic as well (we hope!):  "And the novel is quite consistent timmy really good tender  ah"

:) ;)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://thelowdownunder.com/2017/08/23/2017-miff-audience-award-winners-announced-call-me-by-your-name-best-film/

2017 MIFF AUDIENCE AWARDS PRESENTED BY WANDER VICTORIA

‘CALL ME BY YOUR NAME’ TOPS BEST FEATURE FILM LIST
‘ALL FOR ONE’ AWARDED BEST DOCUMENTARY

Celebrating its 66th edition, the Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) concluded on 20 August after 18 days jam-packed with films, guests, talks and events.

This year 346 films screened across 539 sessions, 17 virtual reality experiences played out across 247 screenings, there were 12 curated talks, 123 film intros and post film Q&As, 24 special events and 180 festival guests. Thirty-two of the guests flew from overseas and of these, one spent as much time on the plane as in the city (16 hours). Approximately 25% of our guests (47) were Indigenous Australians and travelled distances that easily rival international flights in order to join the festival! And last, but certainly not least, 407 volunteers across 3962 shifts gave their time to help MIFF.

Audiences flocked to sessions from 10am to 1am, and even all night for the Sci-Fi marathon at the Astor. They queued, discussed, deconstructed and at the end of each session they were encouraged to rate the films online for the Audience Award. One lucky person who rated the films they watched will win the ultimate Wander Weekend in the Grampians, enjoying fine dining, luxurious accommodation and the great outdoors thanks to Wander Victoria.  But for now, we are very pleased to announce the 2017 MIFF Audience Award winners.

Top 10 Features:

1: Call Me By Your Name
2: Ali’s Wedding
3: The Party
4: Top of the Lake: China Girl
5: Brigsby Bear
6: Ethel & Ernest
7: A Fantastic Woman
8: Loving Vincent
9: That’s Not Me
10: Lucky

Top 10 Documentaries:

1: All For One
2: Unrest
3: The Song Keepers
4: I Am Not Your Negro
5: Faces Places
6: City of Ghosts
7: Roller Dreams
8: Step
9: Pecking Order
10: Mountain

MIFF dates are locked and ready for 2018 too! Only 343 days until MIFF returns from 2 – 19 August 2018.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
https://supermarcey.com/2017/08/09/bedes-miff-2017-audio-reviews-1-radiance-and-call-me-by-your-name/

[Bede’s MIFF 2017 Audio Reviews #1]
Radiance and Call Me By Your Name

This entry was posted on August 9, 2017 by blj4, in Film Festival, Movie Reviews and tagged Armie Hammer, Audio Review, Call Me By Your Name, Melbourne International Film Festival, MIFF, Radiance, review. Bookmark the permalink.   Leave a comment

RADIANCE and CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

Welcome to the 1st edition of my 2017 Melbourne International Film Festival (a.k.a. MIFF) audio reviews. In this very first one, I share my thoughts on STILL THE WATER director Naomi Kawase’s latest film RADIANCE and A BIGGER SPLASH director Luca Guadagnino’s latest film the coming-of-age romance CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

For more of my experiences at MIFF, follow me at  www.twitter.com/BedeJermyn for my daily random thoughts and first reactions to all the films at the festival.

Audio reviews by Bede Jermyn

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://billowyblueshirt.tumblr.com/
http://tattooedsiren.tumblr.com/

IF NOT LATER, WHEN?
by billowyblueshirt
                                          Photoset August 26, 2017 354 notes

“He came. He left.
Nothing else had changed.
I had not changed.
The world hadn’t changed.
Yet nothing would be the same.
All that remains is dreammaking
and strange remembrance.”

Call Me By Your Name  by André Aciman
Recited/Narrated by Armey Hammer

26th August 2017  354 notes

#callmebyyourname  #cmbyn  #andréaciman  #lucaguadagnino  #lgbt
#timothée chalamet  #elio  #elio perlman  #armie hammer  #oliver  #ulliva
#book  #novel  #gaynovel  #movies  #film #lgbtmovie
#i made this before the trailer  #but then i couldn't post it
#i couldn't post this shit after that masterpiece
#later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by billowyblueshirt

IF NOT LATER, WHEN?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:28:23 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
You're killing me, John!  :P

• BetterMost Supporter!
You're killing me, John!  :P

Well, it isn't murder, it's murder/suicide, if that helps!!   :laugh: :laugh:

Meanwhile, talk about another nail in the (double) coffin:

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://fuckmeelio.tumblr.com/ and
https://eliopearlmans.tumblr.com/

LATER!
by fuckmeelio.tumblr and
                                                     by eliopearlmans.tumblr
                                                     Posted August 26, 2017 212 notes

Ok, i know the photo isn't of Armey, but the image is great, isn't it?

I stopped for a second.

If you remember everything, I wanted to say, and if you are really like me, then before you leave tomorrow, or when you're just ready to shut the door of the taxi and have already said goodbye to everyone else and there's not a thing left to say in this life, then, just this once, turn to me, even in jest, or as an afterthought, which would have meant everything to me when we were together, and, as you did back then, look me in the face, hold my gaze, and call me by your name.

Recited by Armey Hammer

26th August 2017  212 notes

#book  #novel  #gaynovel  #movies  #film #lgbtmovie  #video
#can i thank armie hammer for my life
#YES THANK YOU FOR POSTING IT
#later peaches  #later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by fuckmeelio.tumblr and
                                                                                          by eliopearlmans.tumblr

LATER!

High Rise Lover‏ @HighRiseLover  13h13 hours ago
Just finished "Call me by your name". Can't wait to see the movie. The story is utterly beautiful and delicate.
#CallMeByYourName
Armie Hammer, Call Me By Your Name, cmbyn updates and Timothée Chalamet

Mi sono fermato un secondo.

Se ti ricordi tutto, volevo dirgli, e se sei davvero come me, allora domani prima di partire o quando sei pronto per chiudere la porta del taxi e hai già salutato gli altri e non c’è più nulla da dire in questa vita, allora, una volta soltanto, girati verso di me, anche per scherzo, o perché ci hai ripensato e, come avevi già fatto allora, guardami negli occhi, trattieni il mio sguardo, e chiamami col tuo nome.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:42:12 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

It’s a world where the broad-shouldered, blond Oliver fits in nicely. He savagely owns Professor Perlman with his mad etymology skills, breaking down the word “apricot” to its Latin, Greek and Arabic roots. His half-unbuttoned shirt reveals a Star of David necklace, which catches 17-year-old Elio by surprise. (Elio later explains that his mother considers the Perlmans “Jews of discretion” in the sleepy northern Italian vacation village.) At first Elio is annoyed by Oliver, but quickly becomes infatuated. How Oliver feels about Elio is more of a mystery, but as the days and nights continue (so many meals outside! And dancing to the Psychedelic Furs!) the invitations to “go for a swim” eventually turn intimate.

Given Guadagnino’s penchant for lush European settings, it’s unsurprising at how utterly gorgeous this film is to look at, not to mention the 1980’s period setting allowing some choice soundtrack cuts, most notably The Psychedelic Furs“Love My Way“, to provide an additive to the film’s erotic nature; offsetting this is musician Sufjan Stevens‘ original song contributions which play into the film’s fairytale-like mentality.

[youtube=800,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGD9i718kBU[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGD9i718kBU

The Psychedelic Furs   Love My Way
PsychedelicFursVEVO

Love My Way (1982)

There's an army on the dance floor
It's a fashion with a gun my love
In a room without a door
A kiss is not enough in
Love my way, it's a new road
I follow where my mind goes
They'd put us on a railroad
They'd dearly make us pay
For laughing in their faces
And making it our way
There's emptiness behind their eyes
There's dust in all their hearts
They just want to steal us all
And take us all apart
But not in
So swallow all your tears my love
And put on your new face
You can never win or lose
If you don't run the race

Songwriters: John Ashton / Richard Lofthouse Butler / Timothy Butler / Vincent Davey
Love My Way lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

In 1982, the band was reduced to a four-piece with the departures of Morris and Kilburn, and moved to the U.S. in search of a producer.[6] The band recorded their next album, "Forever Now", with record producer Todd Rundgren in Woodstock, New York. This album contained "Love My Way", which became another UK chart entry, and also their first US Billboard Hot 100 charting single.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychedelic_Furs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_My_Way_(song)

By the way--

In the summer of 1983, Elio and Oliver might  have gone to the movies to see--

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcEchaH6EJk[/youtube]
Valley Girl   (1983)
Modern English   I Melt with You

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:04:10 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://tattooedsiren.tumblr.com/

“All the knowledge I possess
everyone else can acquire,
but my heart is exclusively
my own.”      Goethe

by tattooedsiren.tumblr
                                         Posted August 05, 2017 204 notes

The very thought of this suddenly made me want to drop everything I would do today and run to him. I waited about ten minutes, then took out my bike and, despite my promise not to go biking that day, headed out by way of Marzia's home and scaled the steep hillside road as fast as I could. When I reached the piazzetta I realized I had arrived minutes after him.

He was parking his bike, had already purchased the Herald Tribune,  and was heading for the post office--his first errand. "I had to see you," I said as I rushed to him. "Why, something wrong?" "I just had to see you." "Aren't you sick of me?" I thought I was--I was about to say--and I wanted to be--"I just wanted to be with you," I said. Then it hit me: "If you want, I'll go back now," I said.

He stood still, dropped his hand with the bundle of unsent letters still in it, and simply stood there staring at me, shaking his head. "Do you have any idea how glad I am we slept together?"

Recited/Narrated by Armey Hammer

5th August 2017  204 notes

#book  #novel  #gaynovel  #movies  #film #lgbtmovie  #video
#later peaches  #later!
#fuck me elio

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by tattooedsiren.tumblr

“All the knowledge I possess
everyone else can acquire,
but my heart is exclusively