Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779565 times)

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Wow, Aloysius, when you respond you REALLY respond - wonderful!

I hadn’t thought of George Peppard, but now I do see what you mean.

And "measured honeyed blond baritone"... perfect.

How anyone can describe Armie's acting in the film as wooden I just don’t know. There’s so much subtlety in his glances, and the tiny movements of his mouth. And there’s something about his eyes, a calm steadiness, that raises his looks above conventional handsomeness.  I think too it’s the way he speaks in RL - there’s a maturity and kindness there that seems very genuine.

I could start on a eulogy about Timothée too, but had better get on with my own RL.

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Here's something that I hope will amuse fans of the movie.

It's well known that I'm always behind in reading my issues of The New Yorker, but here's something I found in the March 19 issue. It's from a small article about a "white sale" at a high-end shop at Park Avenue and Fifty-eighth Street in Manhattan.

"A set of vintage Doubles Coeurs sheets makes an appearance in one of the love scenes in 'Call Me By Your Name.'"

After some laborious ;) research on the love scenes:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
(OT. Call me snobbish but I'm sorry people don't speak like John McGiver anymore. I've always thought he and others who spoke like him sounded educated and cultured. Perhaps it's related to the fact that I was born and raised in a place and time where many people, including many of my relatives, spoke with a very heavy Pennsylvania German accent. Then there is the "Philadelphia accent" [please God, don't let me ever adopt that]. Natives of South Philadelphia sound like their cousins from Brooklyn. Sorry, but   :P )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/290341507212513138/

referencing:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/19/the-duchess-of-windsors-favorite-sheets-on-sale

Starch Dept.
March 19, 2018 Issue

The Duchess of Windsor’s Favorite Sheets, On Sale
At the D. Porthault sale, women in furs and their housekeepers fought it out for sixteen-hundred-dollar sheet sets.

Still, anticipation among the shoppers ran high. (A set of vintage yellow [and blue? color way] Doubles Coeurs sheets makes an appearance in one of the love scenes in “Call Me by Your Name.”) “I knew about the sheets from design blogs and wanted them for years,” Karen, a classical musician, said. She was hoping to buy a second set of sheets. “I have a very tolerant husband.”

*sigh* So how many love scenes do I have to plough through AGAIN in order to see the Double Coeur 💕sheets? What I do for art...
But it will have to be later.😀

After some laborious ;) research on the love scenes:

Thank you so much!! And am very impressed!!
I was looking at sheets (and blue oxford shirts!  ::) :laugh: ), but not at the pillow cases!

http://www.gramunion.com/arandomexperience.tumblr.com/166549033899

And once again--

CMBYN fan artists
are the BEST!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
SOURCE FRAGMENTS

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://www.imgrum.co/user/_cumberlily_/5482419582

by @_cumberlily_

Dreamy❤😢

9 Likes

#call me by your name  #cmbyn  #andré aciman  #luca guadagnino  #lgbt
#timothée chalamet  #elio  #elio perlman  #armie hammer  #oliver  #ulliva
#portrait  #sketch  #drawing #art  #artist  #fanart  #imgrum
#movies  #film #lgbtmovie  #oscar
#later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @_cumberlily_

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:50:17 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Wow, Aloysius, when you respond you REALLY respond - wonderful!

I hadn’t thought of George Peppard, but now I do see what you mean.

And "measured honeyed blond baritone"... perfect.

How anyone can describe Armie's acting in the film as wooden I just don’t know. There’s so much subtlety in his glances, and the tiny movements of his mouth. And there’s something about his eyes, a calm steadiness, that raises his looks above conventional handsomeness.  I think too it’s the way he speaks in RL - there’s a maturity and kindness there that seems very genuine.

I could start on a eulogy about Timothée too, but had better get on with my own RL.

From one rabid Armie fan to another, YES, thanks! (and I'm John, by the way.)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
(OT. Call me snobbish but I'm sorry people don't speak like John McGiver anymore. I've always thought he and others who spoke like him sounded educated and cultured. Perhaps it's related to the fact that I was born and raised in a place and time where many people, including many of my relatives, spoke with a very heavy Pennsylvania German accent. Then there is the "Philadelphia accent" [please God, don't let me ever adopt that]. Natives of South Philadelphia sound like their cousins from Brooklyn. Sorry, but   :P )

Not Off Topic at all. I totally agree!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Thanks for the beautiful gifs, John.

I think I know you from some of the get-together photos on DCF/UBF (although so many of them have now sadly disappeared).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Just minutes ago I finished the book. I've marked so many pages that it might have been simpler to mark the pages I don't want to revisit.

Perhaps I shouldn't write this, but not too far from the end, I came across a perfectly dreadful typo. Aciman's publisher should be ashamed.

[The postcard of Monet's berm] "One of our previous American summer residents had fished it out in a flee market in Paris. ..."

Ah, um, that should be "flea market."  ::)

What is it about shirts and postcards. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Finishing the novel last night has left me in a really peculiar mood this morning--even for a Monday.

I think part of the trouble is that reading the novel has disinterred things from my own past that I would have preferred stayed buried.

I should probably be discussing this on my own blog rather than here.

I should find out if the film is still playing in Philadelphia, except that I will be away this weekend, so I'm not sure there's a point to that, unless I can determine if it's still playing Easter Monday. I could possibly see it then.

As it happens, I'm acquainted with someone whose family background is Italian Jewish. He was born and raised in Israel; I don't know when his family moved there from Italy. He has his Green Card. He married a U.S. citizen (I am well acquainted with the marriage because I was his husband's Best Man!).

But anyway, not yet having seen the movie, it's his voice I "hear" as I read the text, and his face I "see" rather than the voice and face of Timothee Chalamet. (I do "hear" and "see" Armie Hammer, probably because I've already seen him elsewhere.)