Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779831 times)

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Finishing the novel last night has left me in a really peculiar mood this morning--even for a Monday.

I think part of the trouble is that reading the novel has disinterred things from my own past that I would have preferred stayed buried.

I should probably be discussing this on my own blog rather than here.

I should find out if the film is still playing in Philadelphia, except that I will be away this weekend, so I'm not sure there's a point to that, unless I can determine if it's still playing Easter Monday. I could possibly see it then.

As it happens, I'm acquainted with someone whose family background is Italian Jewish. He was born and raised in Israel; I don't know when his family moved there from Italy. He has his Green Card. He married a U.S. citizen (I am well acquainted with the marriage because I was his husband's Best Man!).

But anyway, not yet having seen the movie, it's his voice I "hear" as I read the text, and his face I "see" rather than the voice and face of Timothee Chalamet. (I do "hear" and "see" Armie Hammer, probably because I've already seen him elsewhere.)

That’s interesting, Jeff, that you see your friend's face. I wonder if he will be obliterated by Timothée when you do see it!

As for being in a peculiar mood, it certainly keeps happening to me, and with the book perhaps even more than the film. They are so intertwined for me now, but I think it’s the Ghost Spots section that affects me so much, even though I don’t think it’s digging up anything buried for me... The more I read it, the more I find little details of how that summer reverberates with both of them, and it’s heartbreaking.

I do know that I’m missing my husband (who died nearly 5 years ago) very much at the moment, and am a little emotional about everything, in a good way I think. It’s a little bit similar to my reaction to Brokeback, though not nearly so extreme. Michael was alive then, and was amazed by the whole thing - as was I - though he was very tolerant about it!

I hope in the end CMBYN is a good experience for you. I think it will stay as one of my best ever films.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Did you see the funny video in The Onion about the peach scene, or scenes?  :laugh:
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
I found it, but it wouldn’t play. :(

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
That worked! Very clever - pitch perfect!😂 Thanks, Paul.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
That’s interesting, Jeff, that you see your friend's face. I wonder if he will be obliterated by Timothée when you do see it!

That will be interesting to see.

As for being in a peculiar mood, it certainly keeps happening to me, and with the book perhaps even more than the film. They are so intertwined for me now.

I used to get in trouble over that sort of intertwining with regards to BBM.  ::)

but I think it’s the Ghost Spots section that affects me so much, even though I don’t think it’s digging up anything buried for me.

I don't know how Aciman did it, but I think his portrayal of a young man in the throes of his first real passion, the one you can bury but can never really get over,  is so dead-on accurate that I find it almost spooky, and it seems to be forcing me to remember something in my own past that I would rather not remember.

I do know that I’m missing my husband (who died nearly 5 years ago) very much at the moment, and am a little emotional about everything, in a good way I think. It’s a little bit similar to my reaction to Brokeback, though not nearly so extreme. Michael was alive then, and was amazed by the whole thing - as was I - though he was very tolerant about it!

Sara, I'm so sorry for your loss of your husband, but I'm sure he's still with you and always will be. The loved ones I've lost are certainly still with me, and in a very good way.

I hope in the end CMBYN is a good experience for you. I think it will stay as one of my best ever films.

The novel certainly is. Sometimes even things that cause pain can ultimately be a good experience.

So I understand Aciman is an expert on Proust. I've never read Proust, but I wonder if Proust has influenced Aciman's writing.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork

As for being in a peculiar mood, it certainly keeps happening to me, and with the book perhaps even more than the film. They are so intertwined for me now, but I think it’s the Ghost Spots section that affects me so much, even though I don’t think it’s digging up anything buried for me... The more I read it, the more I find little details of how that summer reverberates with both of them, and it’s heartbreaking.

(((((Sara)))))

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
(Hang on a minute. I'll get to CMBYN.)

On my own blog, I've written of my obsession with the gay subplot in the second series of Victoria.

Well, something that Elio's father says to him (in the book, anyway) when they have their conversation reminded me of the characters from Victoria:

"You had a beautiful friendship. Maybe more than a friendship."

So here's a sentence from one setting that strikes me as applicable in another setting.

At least in CMBYN neither of the protagonists dies. I mean physically, anyway.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Thanks, Jeff and Sonja xx. I'm ok, but CMBYN certainly brings emotions to the surface.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
I still haven't seen CMBYN since it ran for a very short time here and I wasn't able to go then.

But you'll be happy to know, Sara, that Peter and I have arranged to see it togehter in a couple of weeks!  :)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre