Author Topic: In a Heartbeat  (Read 63246 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In a Heartbeat
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 09:54:03 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/04/in-a-heartbeat-short-film-youtube

Animation
In a Heartbeat
the story behind the animated
gay love short that's gone viral

The makers of the four-minute film, with 12m views in under a week, discuss
the shock of their success and the importance of depicting same-sex romance

by Jake Nevins
Friday 4 August 2017 06.30 EDT

A still from In a Heartbeat,  the animated short film by Esteban Bravo and Beth David
Photograph: Youtube

It’s not every day that a wordless, four-minute animated short about two young boys falling in love goes viral. But on Monday, when recent college graduates Esteban Bravo and Beth David posted their senior thesis film on YouTube, that’s exactly what happened.

The short, called In a Heartbeat, i s a simple yet enduring story, a heartwarming fable of young love and all the irrepressible butterflies that come with it. It also just happens to be about two boys, which despite the ascent of LGBT characters in film and television is still rarefied in animated or children’s cinema.

Although Pixar hasn’t yet shown a gay character in a feature film, there’s evidence of progress – albeit very slow progress – in this year’s Beauty and the Beast  reboot. The film has what director Bill Condon hyped up as a “nice, exclusively gay moment”: Josh Gad’s character, LeFou, shares a few-second dance with another man – which, for the optimist anticipating great strides from Disney, was a pretty insufficient form of progress. In a Heartbeat,  though, unmoored from the prudence of Hollywood studios, is far more explicit.

In just about as long as it takes to microwave a cup of ramen noodles, Bravo and David’s film tells the sweet, intimate story of a boy named Sherwin, who has a crush on his classmate, Jonathan. His heart is, literally, jumping out of his chest when the object of his affection walks by, spinning an apple on his fingertips like a basketball, so Sherwin dashes behind a tree to try to contain it. Of course, Sherwin’s reluctance is about so much more than being nervous to profess young love; he’s also, as the film’s description says it, “at risk of being outed by his own heart”.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REkk9SCRn0[/youtube]

In a Heartbeat  Animated Short Film by Beth David and Esteban Bravo
Published on Jul 31, 2017
A closeted boy runs the risk of being outed by his own heart
after it pops out of his chest to chase down the boy of his dreams.

LIKE 1,046,256     DISLIKE 69,508

When Bravo and David, both computer animation majors at Ringling College of Art and Design in Florida, started work on the film in January 2016, it wasn’t a gay romance. “A friend of ours was pitching ideas to us for potential projects,” David, 21, told me over the phone. “It was her idea to show a person with their heart popping out of their chest, chasing down a crush. But initially it was about a boy and a girl. It wasn’t until Esteban and I decided to switch it to a same-sex crush that the film started to feel like a personal story that we were invested in. It was the kind of story we wish we had seen as kids.”

Bravo, who’s 24 and now an animation intern at Blue Sky Studios (the company behind the Ice Age  franchise), added: “It still makes sense when it’s a boy and a girl because that doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t be afraid to disclose their feelings. But when it’s put in the context of LGBT characters, there were so many more layers to explore, and we could infuse the story with our own backgrounds.”

The two announced a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for the project last November, more than quadrupling their initial goal of $3,000 by raising over $14,000.

Now, just 72 hours after In a Heartbeat  was released, it’s already amassed over 12m views on YouTube. The two young film-makers, who grew up on the animated movies of Brad Bird, along with other turn-of-the-century classics like Finding Nemo, A Bug’s Life  and Cat’s Don’t Dance,  have been overwhelmed by the rapturous reception.

“It’s been insane!” Bravo said. “For two people making our first film, Beth and I are really excited that people have so deeply responded to it emotionally.” The pair have been equally taken aback by the messages, both curious and congratulatory, they’ve had to field.

The poster for In a Heartbeat. Photograph: Esteban Bravo and Beth David.

“We’ve been answering emails and messages and phone calls both from people we’ve never met and also our friends and family,” said David, somewhat dumbfounded that an independently made short, conceived of at the small Sarasota college where they cut their film-making teeth, has found such an audience. “And big-name people are contacting us! That’s so crazy.”

As for why the internet has lifted In a Heartbeat  to viral status, the two surmise it has something to do with the dearth of same-sex love stories in animated films.

“From a business standpoint, it makes sense why studios are afraid to portray LGBT characters, just because there’s still part of the population that’s not accepting,” Bravo said. “But as leaders of children’s content, it’s really important for them to represent these people because not showing LGBT characters leads to a lot of internalized confusion as kids grow up.”

“We do want our films to be universal, but we know that because it’s animation it’s assumed that it’s for children. And we want that to be OK,” David said.

While developing the film in their senior year, Bravo and David had the luxury of total creative autonomy, from the characters’ furrowed brows to the lovely score, by Spanish composer Arturo Cardelús, that accompanies the film. They had a vague idea, when anticipation for the short grew after they released a teaser, that it might attract a considerable following on the web; but they weren’t expecting this much viewership, and they certainly couldn’t have imagined that, just three days after it was uploaded to YouTube, there’d be In a Heartbeat  fan-fiction and memorabilia with their characters’ faces on it.

estabravo

Super excited to say that, in less than 24 hrs, my thesis partner @bbethdavidd
and I gonna be launching the Kickstarter for our thesis animated film, In a Heartbeat !!
This project has been in development for a year now and I'm super stoked to finally
share a bit of it. Keep an eye out!!
NOVEMBER 14, 2016

“There was a part of us that was aware this could potentially be a baby-step towards normalizing LGBT romance and, hopefully, toward larger productions and studios doing something like this,” David, who currently works at LA-based digital entertainment studio JibJab, said. “I do think this kind of entertainment is wanted on a pretty broad scale.”

The two have entertained the idea of expanding In a Heartbeat  into a series of shorts or a longer feature. But right now, they’re simply enjoying what a meteoric success the passion project has become.

“We’ve had people reach out and ask in vague ways if they could talk to us about our futures,” David said. “But as of now, we don’t know what any of it means.”

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 01:49:04 pm »
INAHEARTBEATFANART_SHERWIN+JONATHAN=4_EVER_(X_5!)

https://twitter.com/gavinottesonart
Gavin Otteson
@GavinOttesonArt

http://www.instimg.org/post/BXXSnSihouh
http://www.instimg.org/tag/lgbtfilm

👽✏️ᘔEᑕTᒪI᙭ ᗪᖇᗩᗯᔕ✏️👽 ( @s.slytherins._unite._ )
9 hours ago

🦋Do not use without permission🦋 *THROWS THIS AND RUNS* //my art is so bad :')//

#inaheartbeat #sherwininaheartbeat #sherwin #sherwiniahb #iahb
#fanart #myart #doodle #badart #oops
#sherwinxjonathan #mygayboys #lgbt #lgbtfilm #copicmarkers
#kiss #kissykissy #imsorry #inaheartbeatfanart #inaheartbeatjonathan
#inaheartbeatsherwin #shortfilm #fandom #thisisnotsexualalright?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:25:18 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 01:58:16 pm »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU_DXC9htMs/

http://www.instimg.org/post/BVD1BLkj7An

We have opened an online store with stickers, shirts, prints and more!
Check it out! Link in bio!!

❤️🌈 #inaheartbeat

http://www.instimg.org/tag/inaheartbeat

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 02:04:38 pm »
INAHEARTBEATFANART_SHERWIN+JONATHAN=4_EVER_(X_5)

my name is jonathan

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:33:25 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 05:38:20 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/movies/in-a-heartbeat-movie.html

MOVIES
YouTube Falls Hard for
In a Heartbeat
a Boy-Meets-Boy Story

by CHRISTINA CARON
Friday 4 August 2017

Esteban Bravo and Beth David, makers of the animated short  still from In a Heartbeat.
Credit Jeremy Edelblut

It’s hard to forget your first childhood crush — and the anxiety that accompanied it. (Do you like me? Circle yes or no.) That heart-pounding, sweaty-palmed infatuation is nothing new in children’s animation, but two students decided to tell the tale in a different way, creating an animated short film that is drawing the interest of big production studios.

Here, the enamored characters are both middle-school boys. And their dovelike innocence is charming a huge audience on YouTube. Posted on Monday, the four-minute film has already been viewed more than 14 million times.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REkk9SCRn0[/youtube]

In a Heartbeat  Animated Short Film by Beth David and Esteban Bravo
Published on Jul 31, 2017
A closeted boy runs the risk of being outed by his own heart
after it pops out of his chest to chase down the boy of his dreams.

LIKE 1,105,185     DISLIKE 74,754
COMMENTS • 147,442

Celebrities have taken note. Ashton Kutcher posted an article about it on Facebook. “This speaks for itself, even without dialogue,” he wrote.

J. A. Bayona, the director of “A Monster Calls” and the coming movie “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” tweeted, “Is this the best animation (short) film of the year?”

Not bad for a first project.

The filmmakers, Beth David, 21, and Esteban Bravo, 24, made the short for their senior thesis while at Ringling College of Art and Design, where they recently graduated, in Sarasota, Fla.

It was a labor of love that took about one and a half years, a Kickstarter campaign and a journey to Los Angeles, where they did a live recording of the score. They knew the film would generate interest when their donations surpassed their $3,000 goal, eventually reaching $14,000. (The money was used, in part, to hire the composer Arturo Cardelús, whose soundtrack for the film is now on Spotify.)

Even so, they couldn’t have predicted this.

“It’s mind-blowing to me,” Ms. David said in an interview, adding that people want to see gay-themed stories “in a positive light.”

Mr. Bravo, who is from Mexico City, was similarly stunned by the response. “It’s really surreal,” he said, adding later, “I hope I give a good name to people from my country.”

The duo has signed with Verve Talent and Literary Agency, which has been in touch with Blue Sky Studios, Illumination Entertainment and Disney; they’ve been accepted to multiple festivals, including the HollyShorts; and they are semifinalists for a student Academy Award.

Their animation tells the story of Sherwin, a redhead who has a crush on Jonathan, described on the film’s Tumblr page  https://inaheartbeat-film.tumblr.com/  as “the most popular boy in school.” Sherwin is afraid to show his emotions, but no matter — his heart volunteers for the mission, literally jumping out of his chest and bounding toward the boy who caught his eye. The heart wants what the heart wants.

A scene from In a Heartbeat  where a character’s heart has a mind of its own

It’s a tale that is very personal to viewers, who have responded en masse, and to the filmmakers, too. Mr. Bravo is gay, and Ms. David — while she doesn’t necessarily like to label herself — says she considers herself “a member of the gay community.”

Sean McLaughlin, one of the instructors at Ringling who helped guide Mr. Bravo and Ms. David during the production of their film, said he saw the short in preliminary form during the 2015-16 school year.

“Even back then I knew it was going to be something special,” he said in an email. “If an audience doesn’t connect with a film and its characters on a basic story level, it fails,” but this film, he said, “resonates a truth.”

Dr. Sean Griffin, a professor at the Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University, said he believes it can be especially meaningful to adolescents who are figuring out their sexuality. “It turns a situation that is often fraught with extreme emotions — excitement, anxiety, fear, and potentially shame and embarrassment — into one that is ‘cartoony’ by literalizing the runaway heart, thus making it a bit more amusing,” he said.

This certainly isn’t the first children’s story to include gay and lesbian characters. There’s Ruby and Sapphire on Cartoon Network’s “Steven Universe,” for example, and LeFou in Disney’s live-action remake of “Beauty and the Beast.”

Nick Davis, an associate professor of English at Northwestern University who has written about sexuality and gender in film, said it was gratifying to see such a variety.

“I do some programming for the L.G.B.T. film festival in Chicago and we’re increasingly struck by how the short films submitted are animated, and sci-fi, and fantasy, and horror,” he said. “And it almost seems like there’s no genre where they don’t show up anymore.”

The release of “In a Heartbeat” might seem particularly timely given recent headlines. President Trump has announced a ban on transgender people serving in the military, and his Justice Department has asserted that civil rights law doesn’t protect gay employees from discrimination. But the filmmakers say that their intent was not political when they posted their short online at the end of July.

“If anything we’re just glad that we’re getting to release it right now because I feel, and we both said, it’ll help change some people’s perspectives around the amount of controversy and hatred that’s been going around lately,” Mr. Bravo said. “We just hope that this helps to change, or begin changing, what people think about people in this community and try to understand them better.”

Perhaps one secret to the charm of “In a Heartbeat” is its simplicity: The story is told without words, just music and animation.

“I think audiences do like discovering something that’s not built to bowl you over, but just kind of unexpectedly does,” Mr. Davis said.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:22:06 pm »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 06:46:13 am »
INAHEARTBEATFANART_SHERWIN+JONATHAN=4_EVER

By Thomas Sanders

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/in-a-heartbeat-fan-art
smelly-cat-its-not-ur-fault

“What did you do with my heart?” 💔
@thatsthat24 @inaheartbeat-film

Thomas Sanders fanart, inspired by In A Heartbeat,
which you should all watch if you haven’t already,
and even if you have, you should watch it again.

That was my first-ever attempt at digital drawing, and I’m really happy with the result 😌

3,999 notes

#thomas sanders  #fan art  #thomas sanders fan art
#the things we used to share  #ts art  #TSart  #fander  #fanders  #fander art
#thatsthat24  #mine  #my art  #thomas sanders art  #in a heartbeat art

"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 12:04:07 am »
loving the screen captures, and the fan art

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 07:19:19 am »

Look at this one, Chuck--behind the scenes!

by ne-arts

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OGwEO2tWUY[/youtube]
SPEEDPAINT | In a Heartbeat - Fan art
Published on Jul 30, 2017

In a Heartbeat  is airing July 31st at 10am PST and
I'm so hyped I couldn't help but do a fanart!~

·Song: AOA - Heart Attack (Instrumental).
--------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on instagram! :D
https://www.instagram.com/ne_arts

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 07:50:27 am »

And look here, Chuck--found the source for this one too--very nice!

By M A E E N
http://ex3mine.tumblr.com/

student/ drawing, painting anything//
English is NOT my first language! please tell me if my sentences are wrong //

http://ex3mine.tumblr.com/post/161639748451/im-just-finished-fanart-of-in-a-heartbeat-they

I’m just finished fanart of In a Heartbeat

They are so lovely !! I’m cheering for releasing the movie.

JUNE 9, 2017 (8:52 PM)682 NOTES

#IN A HEARTBEAT   #IAHB
#SHERWIN AND JONATHAN   #SHERWIN   #JONATHAN
#IN A HEARTBEAT SHORT FILM   #IN A HEARTBEAT FILM

"Camping Out"