Author Topic: Celebrating Halloween  (Read 23550 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Celebrating Halloween
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2021, 09:33:48 pm »
On October 1 I got out my two ceramic jack-o-lanterns.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03:07 am »
On October 1 I got out my two ceramic jack-o-lanterns.

Since we're now past the midpoint of October, I've now begun lighting my jack-o-lanterns for a few hours each evening.

I just realized I need to get myself some Reese's peanut butter cups. I remember once hearing that they were the favorite Halloween treat.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2021, 01:45:14 pm »
I've been driving around and seeing the different decorations that are out.   I have to say, I'm a bit of a tradtionalist.

:laugh:

When I think of Halloween, I think of ghosts, Jack O' Lanterns, witches, haunted houses, and other scary stuff. 

I get that it's a big kids holiday, so I understand  friendly looking decor, but even as a kid, I enjoyed the scary stuff more.

I've also started to see things that I wouldn't consider "Halloweeny" but they're appearing.   I've passed a few houses that have inflatable dragons on the lawns.  When did dragons become Halloween related?  Same thing with some houses putting out "aliens".   ETs are not part of Halloween to me.

Technically, zombies aren't Halloween related either.  The movies are scary, but they're not centered around Halloween.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2021, 02:31:40 pm »
I get that it's a big kids holiday.

It has, indeed, become a "big kids holiday," and "big kids" now spend lots of money on it.

At least, they did before the pandemic. A Halloween store has opened near me, and I've wanted to go in just to see what it's like, but I haven't done it yet.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2021, 01:44:49 pm »
You could say I'm in the market for a new drugstore, as the Rite-Aid where I had prescriptions filled and bought all sorts of OTC stuff for 35 years closed about the end of last month. There are two CVS stores and two Walgreens stores in walking distance of my place. Yesterday I went into the larger of the two Walgreens and was kind of shocked that they had no shelves with bags of Halloween treats.

(I don't like the one CVS because mostly they never have anyone at the check-outs. You are more-or-less forced to use the self-check-outs. I do use them, but I'd rather deal with a person. Also, everything from laundry detergent to antiperspirant is under lock and key; you have to get a staff person to help you buy a tube of Right Guard. How stupid is that? You never had to do that at the old Rite-Aid. I mean, you can't cook meth from antiperspirant, can you?  ???  )

(I don't like that Walgreens either--too difficult to find stuff. Who's gonna look for toothpaste next the make-up and skin care products?)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2021, 04:10:11 pm »
No Halloween candy?   It's everywhere I've been.  How odd.

Following up on my post about non-Halloween decor for Halloween, I drove by a house that had a large, inflatable piranha plant on the front lawn.  I think it's a character from the Mario Bros game.

Really?  How is that Halloween?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2021, 09:10:44 pm »
Halloween is here. This evening PBS broadcast "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 07:53:09 pm »
I neglected to mention that last Saturday morning, the Eighties station played the theme from Ghostbusters.

Who you gonna call?  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2021, 09:22:54 am »
Wow, I just realized that I'm really out of it. I don't watch TV, listen to pop music on the radio, or go into drug stores. How am I going to get in the Hallowe'en spirit?

When my mom was around I spent much time in line at Walgreen's. Their parking lot was cramped. Now, I find I can get everything I need at my grocery store. Even prescriptions can be filled there, and I can get my vaccinations.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2021, 11:34:23 am »
How am I going to get in the Hallowe'en spirit?

Go buy some pumpkins and start carving away.  :)

When my mom was around I spent much time in line at Walgreen's. Their parking lot was cramped. Now, I find I can get everything I need at my grocery store. Even prescriptions can be filled there, and I can get my vaccinations.

So there's a pharmacy inside your supermarket? That's what my dad does, use the pharmacy inside the supermarket where he shops.

I guess your grandchildren still aren't allowed to celebrate Halloween?  :(

When they grow up I hope they don't come to resent their parents for it.