Author Topic: School Project: Oh, My Intelligent, Profound Brokies... (please respond)  (Read 5312 times)

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Howdy, partners!   :D

I know it's been a while, but, hey, I'm a straight-A student, so what can I do, right?  With that said, I'm doing a project in my Sociology of Women course and I desperately need some help with my survey that we're going to be incorporating into our presentation.  If you could take but a few minutes to answer our eight questions, that would be absolutely fantastic!

I know that I can count on my Brokies to help me with such a liberal study!

Please e-mail your answers to [email protected] and then bump the thread so that others can do the same!

---

SEX: _______

1) Reactions? (regarding the attached photo)

2) In what ways are people’s opinions of women shaped by the media?

3) Can humorous misogyny be dangerous or harmful?  If so, how?

4) Are women still oppressed?  If so, how?

5) Describe a feminist.

6) Why do women wear revealing clothing?

7) How is PMS abused?

8) What is the biggest difference between men and women?

---

Thank you in advance to all of those are willing to participate!!!

David (The Stud Duck)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 08:40:11 am by TheStudDuck! »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Calling All Brokies: School Research Project and You Can Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »
Certainly, I would be happy to help out, David (my fellow Aguirre cast member)!

---

SEX: __F___

1) Reactions? (regarding the attached photo) The alignment of the feet, legs, hands, and boobs on the woman is remarkable and reminds me of primitive iconography.

2) In what ways are people’s opinions of women shaped by the media? Traditionally, the media has had a major influence, but this is waning as the media become more fragmented and mass media have lost credibility.

3) Can humorous misogyny be dangerous or harmful?  If so, how? Yes of course (who wrote these questions??) Because people think they can get away with something in a joke that they could never get away with saying in seriousness. Because if people laugh at a joke, it must be all right. Because if someone doesn't laugh, they are labelled as a feminist or a ballbreaker or some such thing.

4) Are women still oppressed?  If so, how? Yes. In every way, economically, socially, spiritually, athletically, demographically, politically, etc. etc. (Do you read the news at all?)

5) Describe a feminist. A person who espouses rights and respect for women.

6) Why do women wear revealing clothing? Well, for one, it's hard to find anything but revealing or shoddily made clothing if you shop in a typical mall.

7) How is PMS abused? PMS is not abused, it's PMS that abuses US.

8) What is the biggest difference between men and women? Duh. It's the fact that women can bear children and men can't.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
My Intelligent, Profound Brokies... (please respond)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 02:51:55 pm »
Okay.  Because I woke up this morning and realized that I made a potentially massive blunder regarding the credibility of our data, I'm forced to start this thread over again.

I need help with a school project.

The project is essentially over the genre of humorous materials in the media that are misogynistic -- you know, like The Man Show, Howard Stern, etc.

I'm hoping that I can go into our next meeting and lay down a huge stack of surveys taken and then when my group says, "how in the world did you get that many?," I can simply say, "Brokies."  Hehehe.

I hate that it feels like I'm just using everyone here for help with my project... because I can't say how much I would appreciate and value each of your unique responses -- I know my group members and I feel that it's possible we may not get the intelligent, profound answers that I would from all of you.  And, of course, we need to keep this data broad and cover many different ages and classes.

So, please, help!  I've been giving out candy to everyone who has participated... but it's sort of hard to do that with all of you.  I will send everyone their own unique "Thank You!" e-card, though!

If I've ended up appealing to your kind Brokie nature, then I ask that you PLEASE E-MAIL ME THE RESPONSES and then BUMP THE THREAD as a confirmation for having participated and keeping the thread active so that others can see it and hopefully help me, as well.

E-mail to:  [email protected]

And here it is...

---

SEX: _______

1.  Reactions? (regarding the attached photo)

2.  In what ways are people’s opinions of women shaped by the media?

3.  Can humorous misogyny be dangerous or harmful?  If so, how?

4.  Are women still oppressed?  If so, how?

5.  Describe a feminist.

6.  Why do women wear revealing clothing?

7.  How is PMS abused?

8.  What is the biggest difference between men and women?

---

Thank you in advance to all of those are willing to participate!!!

David (The Stud Duck)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 02:54:49 pm »
David,

Great to see you around again!  And straight-A, congratulations!  I would like to know when is a deadline for this study.  I would like to help, but can see that this requires a little bit more time for me to answer the questionnaire. 

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:02:01 pm »
Hi Jenny!

Um, deadline, deadline... I'm not sure when we've decided that we are going to compile all of the data.  Our project deadline is the end of next month, but we're going to have to actually put all of our findings together and stuff.  I would probably estimate about three weeks.  But the sooner, the better!

Also, I've decided that I want everyone e-mail me the responses... because, you know, I think we'll get better results that way.

[email protected]

And here's a huge "yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaw!" for all ya'll!  :D

David

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
Also, I've decided that I want everyone e-mail me the responses... because, you know, I think we'll get better results that way.

[email protected]

I agree that e-mail works better, so we will not be influenced by other's opinion.  Be sure to publish your findings here. 

Check in with us from time to time, of course only if it won’t impact your study.  :) Good luck!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 03:20:46 pm »
Lee, I love your answers. :)

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: My Intelligent, Profound Brokies... (please respond)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:27:32 pm »
pumps and a bump!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 01:17:47 pm »
What happened to the answers I posted earlier??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 03:17:35 pm »
What happened to the answers I posted earlier??

Lee, there were two threads and I just merged them, so your answers are now in this thread.