Author Topic: Small Town USA: the Good the Bad and the Ugly  (Read 19020 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Small Town USA: the Good the Bad and the Ugly
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2006, 12:42:36 pm »
Yes, and women must not CUT their hair. BUT they also couldn't allow their hair to hang free..(in case a man lost control and had a lustful thought) which is why they walk around with twenty pound buns on their heads!

Actually, women covering their heads was a custom in "Chrisdendom" (i.e., western Europe, north America) for centuries, ended only in the early 20th century. It was a reference to the New Testament admonishment for women keeping their heads covered. There was a tradition that royalty were an exception, and I wondered if Sarah Ferguson's gorgeous mane of hair at her wedding was some reference to that.

We have lots of Amish and Mennonites in and around small Missouri towns, and I see women in stores regularly with prayer caps on.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 12:44:33 pm »
We went to a realitives house for the meal afterward and the realives were passing out an "Action Sheet" the same preecher had given them. It was all about how you should boycott walmart because they had joined "The Homosexual Marriage Lobby". I was worried about what he might say to his elderly aunt, but he handled it really well and I think she is more confused now than she ever was.

Wow, someone who went to the Ivan the Terrible Charm School, for sure.

So how has Wal-Mart joined the "Homosexual Marriage Lobby"?  Does the HML have honorary straight person memberships?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:24 pm »
Here is some news about Wal-Mart's position on this:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=208.msg104679#msg104679
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 10:23:48 pm »

I never could understand these anti gay groups such as the AFA. What's the deal? They tell everyone they hate gay people and yet they spend every waking moment thinking about us. It doesn't make any sense. I wish they would just leave us alone.

I think they're a bunch of jealous wanabies and frustrated closet cases.  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2006, 10:28:39 pm »
>:(

I TOLD you not to read that!! Jeez, you MEN! Just contrary! I shoulda said HEY DAVID READ THIS...and you would have RUN away from the story!!

MEN!

I know Jess. Go ahead and yell at me. I deserve it. But a "don't read David" message is just too tempting.

Remember the "Don't Touch... Wet Paint" signs? Well, there you go!  :D

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2006, 11:18:49 pm »
I never could understand these anti gay groups such as the AFA. What's the deal? They tell everyone they hate gay people and yet they spend every waking moment thinking about us. It doesn't make any sense. I wish they would just leave us alone.

They think they can hold back the river. I hope they know how to swim.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2006, 10:23:16 am »

I went to see Irish Comedian Ed Byrne last night and he was talking about AFA in the like..he raised a valid point but in such a funny way. I could help but laugh.

He was talking about how the likes of AFA say that HIV was brought by god as a way to kill gays and that new orleans was targeted by god with Katrina to punish them for the mardi gras.
 He was like - well surely in that case, god f*ck up big style when 'inventing' gays.. he's given himself a whole lotta work now. So you're worshipping a big stupid man in the sky?

And what about all those straight people that died as a result of Katrian and HIV - and they say - oh its just collateral damage say AFA & likes. What the hell!?

He was also joking about how surely even the most homobhobic person in the world would prefer having a gay couple live next door to them than a serial killer? Would they rather hear a same sex couple having sex through the wall or have a blade to their throat.

I mean really - do these people have logic in their brain?? really? any.. AT ALL!?

I'm on a rant today.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2006, 04:22:26 pm »
I went to see Irish Comedian Ed Byrne last night and he was talking about AFA in the like..he raised a valid point but in such a funny way. I could help but laugh.

He was talking about how the likes of AFA say that HIV was brought by god as a way to kill gays and that new orleans was targeted by god with Katrina to punish them for the mardi gras.
 He was like - well surely in that case, god f*ck up big style when 'inventing' gays.. he's given himself a whole lotta work now. So you're worshipping a big stupid man in the sky?

And what about all those straight people that died as a result of Katrian and HIV - and they say - oh its just collateral damage say AFA & likes. What the hell!?

He was also joking about how surely even the most homobhobic person in the world would prefer having a gay couple live next door to them than a serial killer? Would they rather hear a same sex couple having sex through the wall or have a blade to their throat.

I mean really - do these people have logic in their brain?? really? any.. AT ALL!?

I'm on a rant today.

This comedian sounds brilliant! He makes a lot of sense too.

I remember hearing a minister on television once say that homosexuality is the worst sin of them all... even worse than murder. It was such a stupid remark, I didn't even get angry about it. I just felt sorry for him.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2006, 07:29:07 am »
This comedian sounds brilliant! He makes a lot of sense too.

I remember hearing a minister on television once say that homosexuality is the worst sin of them all... even worse than murder. It was such a stupid remark, I didn't even get angry about it. I just felt sorry for him.

Ed Byrne is pretty well known in the UK and does tours in the US - maybe he'll be in your neck of the woods some day.

Does this Minister even comprehend what he's just said? In his logic, 2 consenting adults indulging in something 'wrong' that only affects the 2 of them are worse than someone who murders someone and destroys families and puts fear into everyones lives??

geesh.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2006, 10:46:50 am »

A search of the AFA's site yielded the following information:

A pro-family organization is warning that Wal-Mart's new alliance with the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) is showing up in moves the corporation has made on its store shelves and in its employee benefit policies.

"In an "Action Alert" to its supporters on Monday (October 23), AFA identifies several book titles available through Walmart.com that it says relate to the promotion of homosexual marriage -- among them are:
What God Has Joined Together: The Christian Case for Gay Marriage; Legalizing Gay Marriage; Gay Marriage and Democracy: Equality for All; Defending Same-Sex Marriage; and Gay Marriage, Real Life: Ten Stories of Love and Family.

In addition, AFA states it found (via a search function at Walmart.com) more than 1,100 items for sale when the term "gay" was entered, almost 500 in response to the term "lesbian," and more than a hundred based on the terms "transgender," "bisexual," and "gay marriage." . . .Sharp also notes that Wal-Mart is now considering same-sex "partner" benefits. . .

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/10/afa/242006c.asp