Author Topic: Up on Brokenback for a memorial to John Trudell  (Read 14641 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Up on Brokenback for a memorial to John Trudell
« on: April 12, 2019, 11:12:14 am »
Who's interested in gathering on Brokenback to pay our respects and perform the last wishes for John Trudell? The July 4th weekend has been suggested. July 4 is on a Thursday, and it is the traditional date of the Ten Sleep Rodeo, an old-time small-town rodeo such as Jack would have participated in. The actual date is up to leader Dana, but I'm just trying to take the temperature of interest here.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Up on Brokenback for a memorial to John Trudell
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 11:32:50 am »
I won't be able to make it.   :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 11:55:57 am »
Who's interested in gathering on Brokenback to pay our respects and perform the last wishes for John Trudell? The July 4th weekend has been suggested. July 4 is on a Thursday, and it is the traditional date of the Ten Sleep Rodeo, an old-time small-town rodeo such as Jack would have participated in. The actual date is up to leader Dana, but I'm just trying to take the temperature of interest here.

I would love to get back to Wyoming again (hell, I'd settle for Colorado), but even when I am present to support the grieving, I feel weird and uncomfortable at funerals/memorials/etc. for people I did not know. It feels like intruding.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 09:51:22 am »
I'm going to try to finalize accommodations for the Wyoming trip today. It looks like folks will stay at some new cabins just south of Ten Sleep on July 3-4, within walking distance of the rodeo. Then, we have tent camping planned for the 5th on or near Brokenback. We taking a suite at the Occidental Hotel in downtown Buffalo for the 6-7th. Then, back to Denver. Attendees so far are Larry (Oregondoggie), Dana, Lynne, me, and Adam. There is room for one or two more.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 07:50:29 pm »
Well, we've made reservations for everyone and there is a comfortable range of accomodations from tents to cabins to motel rooms. It's going to be great!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 07:41:36 am »
We're starting our family vacation on July 5th.
I'll be thinking of John and y'all.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 12:20:25 pm »
Well, I'm so glad we didn't plan this ceremony for Memorial Day! Less than a week until it, and we have 8" of new snow in Denver! Can't imagine what it's like 200 miles north in the Big Horn Mountains!! John's ashes are on their way to Dana and Adam and I have firm plans to leave Denver on June 27 and make our way in a large clockwise circle through the mountains and Utah and then up into Wyoming to Ten Sleep, with a quick jaunt through Yellowstone. On the 5th, after the ceremony, we'll hop over to Buffalo and stay 2 nights at the Occidental Hotel, then back to Denver on the 7th. I'm still not sure if Lynne and Oregondoggie will join us for the 3rd-5th.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:42 pm »
Tomorrow is the day we leave for parts west and north! Please go with us in spirit because some mountain passes are still closed due to snow. And, it's not too late to join us. . .it looks like there will be more sleeping spaces than we need!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:17:17 pm »
I’ll be with you all in spirit.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 01:02:23 pm »
Thank you Paul and I know the rest of you will be too. We might video parts of it.

Signing off now but I'll come back online probably tomorrow morning. Being offline is hard for me, but my traveling companions will be miffed if I stare at my phone. Ciao!