Author Topic: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!  (Read 11173 times)

slayers_creek_oth

1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!
« on: April 05, 2006, 04:36:27 pm »
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060405/law120.html?.v=23

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., April 5 /PRNewswire/ -- "Brokeback Mountain," the most powerful and poignant drama of 2005, continued its phenomenal critical box-office success by selling approximately 1.4 million units on its April 4, 2006 street date. Stunningly crafted with incomparable dexterity by Oscar®- winning director Ang Lee ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," "Sense and Sensibility"), "Brokeback Mountain" broke through cinematic and social barriers with its heart-wrenching depiction of two young cowboys who unexpectedly forge an intense, lifelong connection.

Since it was first released, audiences, critics and awards groups have responded with unrivaled passion to 'Brokeback Mountain's' stellar direction, writing and acting and to a moving storyline that challenged Hollywood conventions," said Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "The remarkable first-day home entertainment sales are a testament to the film's magnetic appeal and consumers' avid desire to own a piece of cinematic history."

Winner of three Academy Awards® for Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score, "Brokeback Mountain" is based on the powerful short story by Pulitzer Prize winner Annie Proulx ("The Shipping News"). The universally acclaimed script was adapted by another Pulitzer recipient, Larry McMurtry ("Lonesome Dove," "Terms of Endearment") and his collaborator Diana Ossana ("Johnson County War"), who also earned a Golden Globe® Award for their work.

Actors Heath Ledger ("The Patriot," "Lords of Dogtown") and Jake Gyllenhaal ("Jarhead," "Donnie Darko") earned Academy Award® nominations for their emotionally charged, unflinching portrayals of Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist, the two young men at the heart of this wrenching saga. Supporting actress Michelle Williams ("The Station Agent") was nominated for the Supporting Actress Oscar® for her role as a young wife wounded by a bond she is unable to comprehend.

"Brokeback Mountain" tells the story of Ennis Del Mar (Ledger) and Jack Twist (Gyllenhaal), two young men dispatched to work as sheepherders up on the majestic Brokeback Mountain in the summer of 1963. During their experience, Ennis and Jack are drawn into an unexpected lifelong relationship, filled with love and loss. The DVD is priced at $29.98 SRP.

For more information please visit: www.brokebackmountain.com.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 05:17:18 pm by slayers_creek_oth »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:37:58 pm »
WOW! That sounds like a lot. I wonder what the opening day total was for Crash.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:40:32 pm »
How does that number compare to other DVD first day sales?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:40:52 pm »
Something else to think about...

King Kong sold 6.5 million in its first week (which is less then a million a day if you average it out)......Brokeback sold 1.4 in its first day......think about it..... ;D

I'll almost guarantee that 1.4 million in its first day is a record for Focus...

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:41:04 pm »
Is that a good number? I don't know much about dvd figures..

rtprod

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 04:41:39 pm »
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody know how that benchmarks against other current titles?

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 04:44:57 pm »
Something else to think about...

King Kong sold 6.5 million in its first week (which is less then a million a day if you average it out)......Brokeback sold 1.4 in its first day......think about it..... ;D

I'll almost guarantee that 1.4 million in its first day is a record for Focus...

Thanks, Slayer.  This helps put it in perspective quite a bit.  I know when I told several people I bought "a copy" (ha ha) yesterday, they all said, "Oh, it's out, now?  Cool - I'm gonna buy a copy."  Though I know it's a leap from that alone, to say the least, I'm thinking today's number will be comparable.

Oh, and someone tried to sell me King Kong while I was buying Brokeback at Best Buy yesterday.  I go "Sorry.  Not all that into bestiality."  The guy about lost his gob laughing.  He'd been kidding around quite a bit with me and Will, so I figured I'd take a shot.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 04:45:48 pm »
Is that a good number? I don't know much about dvd figures..

Its a really good number....

Its also still the best selling DVD on amazon....beating out Narnia and Kong....

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 04:48:05 pm »
You know what, here locally (In Dallas) they have played quite a few Brokeback DVD commercials on the radio, which are immediately followed by King Kong DVD commercials. I thought that was weird at the time and now that you say someone tried to get you to buy it, it seems even weirder. Didn't King Kong come out last week?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

vkm91941

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 04:52:20 pm »
well I only have one thing to say  ::) YEEEEE HAAAAAWWWWW!!!!! ;D