Author Topic: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!  (Read 11146 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: 1.4 million DVDs sold yesterday!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 04:52:51 pm »
You know what, here locally (In Dallas) they have played quite a few Brokeback DVD commercials on the radio, which are immediately followed by King Kong DVD commercials. I thought that was weird at the time and now that you say someone tried to get you to buy it, it seems even weirder. Didn't King Kong come out last week?

Yes Kong came out last week and broke Universal's records with 6.5 million in its first week.....920k DVDs per day (average)....

However then Brokeback comes along (also a Universal release) and sells 1.4 million in its first DAY! 

Hmmm....wouldn't be surprised if Kong doesn't hold that record for too long.....

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 04:53:09 pm »
Is that a good number? I don't know much about dvd figures..

Its a really good number....

Its also still the best selling DVD on amazon....beating out Narnia and Kong....

Good. For some reason I have a HATRED towards Narnia..it's sort of like the fundie movie that's up against MY MOVIE!!!

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 04:58:38 pm »
This is really good news!  Thanks for posting it Chris.   

Now now Brandon,

I saw Narnia and own the books (well they're my older sister's, she got them for Christmas about 20 years ago)

:)
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 05:00:37 pm »
Well I don't have anything against the actual movie, just ...ehh I dunno.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 05:00:54 pm »
WOW! That sounds like a lot. I wonder what the opening day total was for Crash.

I don't know...but considering the fact that Crash's Directors Cut isn't even in amazon.com's Top 25 DVD sales.....I can't imagine that its doing all that well IMO!

rtprod

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 05:05:53 pm »
Brandon,

Narnia is actually pretty good with a wicked turn from Tilda Swinton. 

rt

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 05:24:50 pm »
I'm with Brandon--Narnia? Hiss!

Tilda may be madly stylish, but Narnia actually does "have an agenda." As Deep Throat (Hal Holbrook) says in 'All The President's Men': "Follow the money."

And I ain't foolin'.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 05:26:06 pm »
yes... i want to see comparative sales numbers.  can anyone do some sleuthing and get crash dvd numbers, narnia dvd numbers, or any other relevant numbers?  and the record holder for 1st day sales?  just for comparison.

1.4 mil though, that's still pretty amazing for 1st day sales.

edit:  well that was easy.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-03-08-crash-dvd-sales_x.htm

the regular version has sold 4 million since September of 05.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 05:28:42 pm by littledarlin »
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 05:35:22 pm »
yes... i want to see comparative sales numbers.  can anyone do some sleuthing and get crash dvd numbers, narnia dvd numbers, or any other relevant numbers?  and the record holder for 1st day sales?  just for comparison.

1.4 mil though, that's still pretty amazing for 1st day sales.

edit:  well that was easy.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-03-08-crash-dvd-sales_x.htm

the regular version has sold 4 million since September of 05.

Well Harry Potter holds the record for best selling DVD in first day with 5 million copies....I'm not sure what Universal's record is though...

If Brokeback breaks any records we'll know....and I'll report if I find anything else out....

Now for Crash.....only 4 million in 7 months......and Brokeback sells 1.4 million in 24 hours!  Hmmm....Brokeback wins again!

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 05:59:02 pm »
You know what, here locally (In Dallas) they have played quite a few Brokeback DVD commercials on the radio, which are immediately followed by King Kong DVD commercials. I thought that was weird at the time and now that you say someone tried to get you to buy it, it seems even weirder. Didn't King Kong come out last week?

Yes Kong came out last week and broke Universal's records with 6.5 million in its first week.....920k DVDs per day (average)....

However then Brokeback comes along (also a Universal release) and sells 1.4 million in its first DAY! 

Hmmm....wouldn't be surprised if Kong doesn't hold that record for too long.....

sounds like a very good week for Universal, who is doing distribution for both films.

so at minimum $17 a copy, BBM pulled in $24 million yesterday.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.