Author Topic: And just like that it's gone  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
And just like that it's gone
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:24:17 am »
I've had an atomic plant in my area for as long as I can think back. I moved once in my lifetime, about 60km West. The atomic plant was about in the middle between the two places I've lived.
Its massive cooling towers belonged to my home region, like it or not, they have always been part of my scenery.

This morning, they were blown up. The atomic plant stopped working end of 2019 (Germany is giving up all its atomic plants) and is now being demolished. The explosion of the cooling towers should have been a public spectacle, but with Corona right now they kept the time a secret and put up barriers as to not draw any crowds.

But they put up videos of the detonation:

It's a strange feeling that the towers are gone. I think I'll miss them. Not the atomic plant, I'm happy it's gone. But the cooling towers were a good fix point in my landscape. I think I showed them to FRiend Lee and Adam, back when they visited me and we went to the Rietburg with a chairlift.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: And just like that it's gone
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:49:19 am »
Wow! So Germany is getting rid of all of its nuclear plants? Is this part of the response to climate change? Yes, I remember seeing the towers while on the chairlift. Very eerie to watch them fall!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: And just like that it's gone
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 01:39:18 pm »
It's a strange feeling that the towers are gone. I think I'll miss them. Not the atomic plant, I'm happy it's gone. But the cooling towers were a good fix point in my landscape. I think I showed them to FRiend Lee and Adam, back when they visited me and we went to the Rietburg with a chairlift.

Many, many years ago, from different locations in the county were I grew up, you could see the clouds of condensation that formed over the cooling towers of two different nuclear power plants. You couldn't see the towers, only the condensation clouds. In fact, at various places on the highway I drove to the place I went to college, the roadway was pointed directly at the clouds. It always made me think of "the pillar of cloud by day."

As a matter of fact, the clouds I could see while driving back to college were from the nuclear power plant at Three Mile Island. I was on campus, about five miles downwind, when the accident occurred. That was 41 years ago this March.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.