Author Topic: Valentine's Day  (Read 4648 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Valentine's Day
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 12:49:34 pm »
:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 03:29:48 pm »
 :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2023, 01:45:40 pm »
I'm almost done with the Cashew Creme Cookies...only need to frost them. I'll leave some unfrosted for those who prefer them. This morning I'm making the ranch dip for the cut veggies from scratch using Penzey's ranch herbs. Next I'll make gluten free minimuffins. What kind of frosting do gluten-free people like? I have no idea. I'd like to make a cardamon-ginger frosting but I fear that would be too out there for the congregation, even though they seem to like gingerbread.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2023, 08:05:42 pm »
I'm not a gluten expert, but wouldn't most frosting be gluten free? Cardamom-ginger sounds good!

I once worked on an office team in which various people had all kinds of diet restrictions -- gluten, dairy, GMOs and maybe others. Anyway, I tried gluten-free birthday cakes a couple of times and they were perfectly delicious; if I hadn't known they were GF I wouldn't have been able to tell any difference.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2023, 11:35:14 pm »
good to know, thanks!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2023, 01:59:04 pm »
I've also had gluten-free cakes, you can't taste the difference.

I've had dairy-free as well, as Trenton has a dairy allergy.  They've always been tasty.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2023, 01:52:23 pm »
It's here! Valentine's Day makes me think of spring, but there's a cold front moving in; hopefully the last one of the season.

So, to start with expressing self-love and care, I decided to make a special dish, David Chang's Chick Kut-Teh. It is really flavorful and warming. I've served it over basmati rice and the only changes I made were to grind the peppercorns and use bone-in chicken thighs since they were so less expensive:

"This is truly one of those do-whatever-you-want chicken soups, but mine involved these steps: Soak 5 dried shiitake mushrooms in water (or use fresh ones, which you don't need to soak). Dice an onion and two celery stalks. Finely dice two cloves of garlic and a jalape?o (optional). Finely julienne a knob of ginger (I used at least 3 ounces). Then throw all that into a pot and saut? in oil until onions are softened. Add white and black peppercorns (roughly 10 each) and a pod of star anise to the saut? then toast for a minute or two. Throw in your chicken (I used a pack of boneless thighs) to brown. Once browned, slice up the shiitakes and add them (plus the water ? it's flavor) to the pot. Add a dash of soy sauce and chicken stock until everything is covered. Water and chicken bouillon works fine. Add a few tablespoons of shaoxing wine or cooking wine. Cook until chicken is done, remove chicken, and keep cooking broth for another 10-20 minutes to reduce. If the broth needs salt, add some, or more soy sauce, bouillon or fish sauce. Add shredded chicken back to the pot. I add some chopped scallions to the bowl while the broth is boiling hot (to cut the raw flavor), and top with cilantro right before you eat.
This took about half an hour. You could add some rice and extra stock or water for a flavorful congee. I ate this with vermicelli rice noodles I had in the pantry. Macaroni or pasta would also be fine. Add chili oil! Add sesame oil! Add bok choy!"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2023, 04:37:14 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 06:44:20 pm »
There have been several cold fronts since the Valentine's Day one. But today has been nice.

I'm making a special birthday cake for my daughter. It's her 35th and a good reason to celebrate, I think. But she wants to low-key it. So I began by steeping four Earl Grey tea bags and 2 Tablespoons of lavender buds in hot milk. The batter's in the oven now. It tastes so good, I might have licked the bowl even though it contains the remains of 3 eggs. It tastes like spring!