Author Topic: When Should All-Brokies Day Be?  (Read 8676 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
When Should All-Brokies Day Be?
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:36:41 am »
We were chatting during All Hallows Eve (Halloween) last nite and decided that we need to add a new holiday to the cult calendar that Meryl has started. So, we'd like your thoughts. What day should be designated as All Brokies Day? Vote, add your thoughts, and also tell us your ideas of how the day should be celebrated!

Here's Meryl's original post:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=3653.msg69108#msg69108
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:39:28 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

Re: When Should All-Brokies Day Be?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:24:30 pm »
I think I need to understand what the holiday is a little better, before I can vote.  Is it the day we celebrate being Brokies?  It's about us, not BBM?  Meryl?  Lee?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:31:57 pm »
 I go for the full moon....the anniversary of the consumation of the "marriage".....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:56:47 pm »
Let's see, at the time we were talking about All Saints Day being today, and thought that we needed a day called All Brokies Day. It would be a day dedicated to all things Brokeback!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

horo35

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:58:20 pm »
I would have to say that the day the film was released in theatres.  That shall be All-Brokies Day. Heres how we should begin to celebrate and hopefully high Priestess Meryl will take this into account: We shall light candles on our tables with a cowboy hat in the middle and someone shall play "Wings" on a guitar.  Then we all hold hands in unison and sing "Cowboys Are Secretly, Frequently (Fond Of Each Other)" Or do you guys think that's a little too much? ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 10:03:21 pm by horo35 »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 11:40:05 pm »
It took me about a week to see this thread, so sorry I'm weighing in late.  ::)

The idea of having an All Brokies Day is great!  8)

I'd like to see ABD on a day of its own, though, rather than coinciding with other important dates that are holidays already.  It would be nice if it could be something universal, too, rather than pertaining to just the U.S., since there are Brokies all over the world.

After mulling it over, I came up with the number 17:  there are 17 letters in Brokeback Mountain, and Ennis puts the number 17 on his mailbox at the end of the film.  That would translate to the first day of the seventh month, or July 1.   As far as I know, that date doesn't coincide with other stuff like cast members' birthdays or premieres.  Sound feasible?

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:15:08 am »
I voted for first full moon. Important and emotional anniversary for J&E, and hence for us.

My runner-up would be the date of the first publication of the story.

Though I see Meryl's point about a completely separate day as well.

::) Indecisive, moi?

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 11:04:31 am »
Except... TS1 can't be in June. The full moon in June in 1963 was way too early in the summer for them to have been up there for a month. I know it's IMDb canon, but... it doesn't make any sense. The IMDbers have got to be wrong about this.

Bah.

(Nobody's going to vote for the story publication anyway, because nobody actually likes the story...  :P  :-X  ::) )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 12:08:52 pm »
I agree with Mel about the problem of placing the month exactly for the full moon celebration.  Also, I would rather have a fixed date than have to figure out when the full moon is every year.  :P

As for October 13, the publication of the story is already one of the highest holy days in the Cult, marking the introduction of Ennis and Jack to the world, kind of corresponding to Christmas in Christianity. 

I looked up All Saints Day, celebrated on November 1, and it was originally focussed on celebrating martyrs, emphasizing the bond between those already with God and those still on earth.  They tried to bury martyrs in accessible places so that people could gather at their tombs to celebrate the Eucharist.  The feast celebrated the ultimate goal--to be with God.

I guess our martyrs are Ennis and Jack, our goal is to be in their company, and our most accessible place is the internet.  What does that suggest to you all in terms of All Brokies Day and how it should be celebrated?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 12:48:21 pm »
Well, I kind of felt like Jack and Ennis were martyred (again) during the Oscars ceremony. I wouldn't mind having a All-Brokies Day celebration that involved watching BBM while chatting on-line in place of having anything to do with the Oscars...

On the other hand, the Oscars ceremony changes date with less predictability than the full moon, and I would just as soon ignore it so completely that I don't even know when it's happening.

(I voted for Dec. 9, even though BBM had been shown in Venice and Toronto and Telluride and Denver and various other film festivals before that, and even though it only showed in three American cities that day -- Dec. 9 doesn't really reflect the widespread appeal of the movie, both in the US away from the coasts, and internationally. But I kind of like Dec. 9 for various other reasons. ;) )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.