Author Topic: Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea  (Read 40837 times)

mvansand76

Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:32:37 am »
Thought I would make a seperate thread for this story by the author of For a Little While, Some Silver Lining and Over the Bridge. The story is called Nobody's angel. Chapters can be found here:

http://maidenofthesea.livejournal.com/

For everybody who is already reading this story, chapter 7 was just posted!

one_of_one

Re: Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:29:16 am »
SPOILERS

This is my favourite fic at the moment. 

I love that we are being shown how their emotions affect their actions.  From that very first sizzle at the Sno Hut, to Ennis's automatic response at the rumble when he saw Jack being hurt.  To go against his own kind like that really showed the reader the depth of his feelings for Jack.  And I think Chas does the show not tell thing amazingly well in regards to this.

I was so surprised that Ennis did actually break away from his roots at the rumble and helped Jack.. I thought him and Jack might get into a scuffle just for show.  It's incidents like this which really make you aware of how Ennis feels.  Likewise when he overturned the table when KE was questioning him.  Ennis isn't a speaker, we see his feelings via his actions, and oh how well Chas writes him.

I am so interested in how Ezra and Ennis are going to confront Ennis's "secret" and be able to move on from it.  And KE now, too.  It was really unexpected reading that he was watching Ennis and now knows there is "something" going on.  I wonder how he'll react when all the pieces of the puzzle slot into place.  Thinking positively, I think that what happened between him and Ennis in the last chapter is going to make things easier in the long run because KE has feelings of guilt now to contend with, and I don't think he's going to be able to blow up at Ennis the way he might have done previously. I think he has too much at stake.

I also like this fic because sex doesn't have such a high profile.  Their emotions are the important thing here, rather than the sex.  She is so subtle with how she describes their experiences, but so effective.  Even when Jack is obvious about what he wants Chas writes it in such a way that doesn't seem overbearing. The scene in the cinema was a stroke of genius...we knew exactly what was going on and the juxtaposition of the movie dialogue with what was happening just made it even more interesting and erotic.  Far more than a  blow by blow account of exactly what they were doing would have done.  For me, anyway.  She's rated it R so far and I really hope it stays that way.  To be honest, I find most sex scenes boring to read and I skip them.  Even with well written ones I'm inclined to zone-out if there are too many. And that ruins the story for me then.

I love this fic so much...love these boys.  I really connect with them, and feel for them, and care what happens to them.

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:34:47 pm »
SPOILERS

I'm totally with you about a lot of things you said H ~ I too feel so much for her Jack and Ennis; like I said in my comment on her LJ, I feel that they are two wounded lost souls just meant to be together and I just feel so hopelessly sad for them, for all they've been through...Chas reassured me though; all seems hopeless but may not turn out to be so hopeless after all. She also told me she really wanted the chapter to end with the two of them together and wasn't it just an absolutely beautiful chapter ending? I swear I had such a big lump in my throat:

Some force allowed Ennis to lean his head on Jack’s shoulder as he read, falling into sleep at the sound of his words, the vibration of his voice pulsing through Ennis’s body. The train rattled on, taking them back to where they started several times over, always on the same track, stopping, but going nowhere.

That's just *the* most beautiful image ever to me.

What was also so beautiful to me were Jack's soft touches on Ennis's wrist and palm. I can't quite put my finger on it, what it is exactly about the way Chas writes them....it's just so tender and beautiful. The anguish and love they both feel is so beautifully depicted.

Yeah, Ennis took a huge risk but it didn't surprise me, what else could he do but come to Jack's rescue? Things were looking pretty brutal over there.

I also really love the way she writes the interaction between the Del Mar brothers. She's told me she really loves writing those parts and it definitely shows. I think it was a stroke of genius giving Ennis a twin, that blew me away.
So sad reading about how their sister died.

As for the sex scenes, I think it will be beautiful to read about Jack and Ennis making love for the first time. The way Chas writes this story it'll be just perfect.

I too am loving this fic. It makes me happy and really sad, makes me laugh (the scene at the laundry mat was so hilarious and cute) and cry. The bits with Elliott make me go awww and the (loving) parts with Jack and Ennis just totally blow me away.
Chas really and truly amazes me. I love her for writing this story  :)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 01:36:41 pm by Bigheart »

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:23:05 pm »
For a Little While was the first fanfiction I ever read (ever!). The first chapter of that fanfic just blew me away and the following chapters were good, but there wasn't a lot of development of character until the really powerful ending and what Ennis did. I really got hooked on it when she started writing the sequels.

And now this, this is really the best I have read from her. I love how she describes the characters, the situations they are in, the love between Jack and Ennis and all the characters surrounding them. I loved the last chapter, I especially loved the ending, the train ride, it was beautiful. They really are at peace when they are together.... Can't wait for the next chapter!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:13:43 pm »
I agree, this is the best I have read from her too! I love For a Little While but this one has me absolutely hooked. I love her characterizations and the almost innocent way they go about loving each other. So beautiful...

I'd say more but the three of you covered it! I agree with everything!  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:52:38 am »
NEW CHAPTER NEW CHAPTER NEW CHAPTER!!!!!!

:)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 01:42:13 pm »
It was so good!!  ;D

SPOILERS.....

The chocolate cake fight was perfect, and I loved Ennis refusing to leave Jack's dad's office and them kissing there...  :) I have nothing more intelligent than that to say, this is one of my favorites!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:22 pm »
It was so good!!  ;D

It was! I totally agree! They are so cute! (Nothing coherent or intelligent coming out of me either... ;))

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 08:12:14 am »
Anybody know when she is updating?

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 08:35:43 am »
Anybody know when she is updating?

I think Helen told me it would be today??  *keeps fingers crossed*

:)